• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I've seen this vehicle with lights ablaze headed down 98 for some emergency, and I'm not convinced people can easily recognize it as a emergency vehicle. I'd hate to see that thing cruise through a red light and get broad sided because someone didn't noticed the flashing lights behind the grill and windshield.

Independent of that, this brings up an interesting question, how much revenue does the sheriff generate from tickets in Walton County, and where does that money go? Does the revenue feed into the sheriff?s budget or back to the county? If it feeds right into the sheriff?s budget, it may create a conflict of interest.

It has a siren as well. If that doesn't get you to immediately slow down and start looking for the emergency vehicle then you deserve what you get. I got a failure to yield ticket in Bay County once on 231. I heard the siren, but couldn't figure out where it was. Turns out there was a forest fire and I never thought the 18 wheeler with a backhoe on it was the culprit. Turns out I was wrong and the cop explained that I should have slowed and pulled over regardless of seeing an instantly identifiable vehicle.

The revenue received goes to the State's general fund that's always been the case with traffic tickets. IIRC they changed that years ago to help curb quotas, speed traps, and just over zealous LEO.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
The revenue received goes to the State's general fund that's always been the case with traffic tickets. IIRC they changed that years ago to help curb quotas, speed traps, and just over zealous LEO.

This is the case in Alabama as well; the fine and court costs are actually split up about 25 different ways to various state, municipal and county funds.

Just a talking pont, not that I feel one way or the other on the subject, but could it be that the smaller "cut" of the fine that the ticketing agency gets, gives the ticketing agency a need/incentive to write more tickets so as to generate more revenue for their local coffers?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
This is the case in Alabama as well; the fine and court costs are actually split up about 25 different ways to various state, municipal and county funds.

Just a talking pont, not that I feel one way or the other on the subject, but could it be that the smaller "cut" of the fine that the ticketing agency gets, gives the ticketing agency a need/incentive to write more tickets so as to generate more revenue for their local coffers?

IIRC they don't get anything out of the ticket in Florida.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I wonder what has changed since I asked the Sheriff about the unmarked pick up trucks I saw a few months ago? Below is a portion of his reply to my questions:
Ms Wood,
We do employ a number of unmarked vehicles in our fleet. I cannot say for sure that the ones you have seen belonged to the Sheriff's office as most agencies use unmarked vehicles as well. I absolutely understand your concerns about this issue, for this reason unmarked vehicles are not used for traffic enforcement as a matter of our policy. When you see our unmarked vehicles on traffic stops alone, one of a couple of things are going on. Our policy prohibits deputies from passing a stranded motorist. I know that I personally stop with stranded or distressed vehicles 5 to 10 tomes a week (I drive a black unmarked SUV). Another reason an unmarked vehicle would stop a motorist is as part of criminal investigation (I.E. someone we have under surveillance). Lastly there are always circumstances in which we have to alter the policy to protect the safety of motorists. Such would be the case with a reckless driver, DUI, or dangerously aggressive vehicle. Those are really the only reasons you would see a WCSO unmarked vehicle stop a motorist.
Now to your question as to what action to take if you question whether or not the vehicle is really a law enforcement officer. I cannot give anyone permission to not stop however, turning your hazard lights on and reducing speed to show the Deputy you acknowledge their presence while you find a safe place to stop works well. Also you can call the sheriff's office to confirm that it is a deputy sheriff. Our vehicles are equipped with GPS to show their location. They also have to inform dispatch prior to stopping a vehicle so dispatch can tell you immediately if it is a deputy. Most importantly all Sheriff's personnel MUST be clearly identifiable to the public. A sheriff's star must be visible if the deputy has a firearm on. While security guards and even the general public can buy a badge that looks like a police badge, in the state of Florida it is illegal to sell, possess or display the Sheriff's star ( a five point star). As a rule they must be in full uniform to conduct a routine traffic stop. I hope I have answered your questions fully. Please feel free to call me personally if you need further information.

I saw this grey SUV parked at the intersection of Chat Holley and Highway 331 last night with lights flashing. There was also a marked WCSO car at the foot of the bridge. As far as I could tell, the SUV was not giving traffic tickets...no other cars were stopped at the time I drove past around 5:30 p.m.
:dunno:

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Was there a special event going on at one of Lloyd Blue's event spaces? Back when the 331 was still going (sorry I'm getting choked up) they used to have an off duty officer out front on the weekends.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
if so, it was either not well attended; or hadn't yet started--there were few cars anywhere.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Could have been due to the construction going on. Chat Holly is a mess right now.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
I wonder what has changed since I asked the Sheriff about the unmarked pick up trucks I saw a few months ago? Below is a portion of his reply to my questions:

Ms Wood,
We do employ a number of unmarked vehicles in our fleet. I cannot say for sure that the ones you have seen belonged to the Sheriff's office as most agencies use unmarked vehicles as well. I absolutely understand your concerns about this issue, for this reason unmarked vehicles are not used for traffic enforcement as a matter of our policy. When you see our unmarked vehicles on traffic stops alone, one of a couple of things are going on. Our policy prohibits deputies from passing a stranded motorist. I know that I personally stop with stranded or distressed vehicles 5 to 10 tomes a week (I drive a black unmarked SUV). Another reason an unmarked vehicle would stop a motorist is as part of criminal investigation (I.E. someone we have under surveillance). Lastly there are always circumstances in which we have to alter the policy to protect the safety of motorists. Such would be the case with a reckless driver, DUI, or dangerously aggressive vehicle. Those are really the only reasons you would see a WCSO unmarked vehicle stop a motorist.
Now to your question as to what action to take if you question whether or not the vehicle is really a law enforcement officer. I cannot give anyone permission to not stop however, turning your hazard lights on and reducing speed to show the Deputy you acknowledge their presence while you find a safe place to stop works well. Also you can call the sheriff's office to confirm that it is a deputy sheriff. Our vehicles are equipped with GPS to show their location. They also have to inform dispatch prior to stopping a vehicle so dispatch can tell you immediately if it is a deputy. Most importantly all Sheriff's personnel MUST be clearly identifiable to the public. A sheriff's star must be visible if the deputy has a firearm on. While security guards and even the general public can buy a badge that looks like a police badge, in the state of Florida it is illegal to sell, possess or display the Sheriff's star ( a five point star). As a rule they must be in full uniform to conduct a routine traffic stop. I hope I have answered your questions fully. Please feel free to call me personally if you need further information.

I saw this grey SUV parked at the intersection of Chat Holley and Highway 331 last night with lights flashing. There was also a marked WCSO car at the foot of the bridge. As far as I could tell, the SUV was not giving traffic tickets...no other cars were stopped at the time I drove past around 5:30 p.m.
:dunno:

Those sound like wise policies articulated to you by the Sheriff. Routine traffic stops should probably be left to uniformed officers (and marked cars) for the safety and sense of security for all involved. Even following the hazard lights/slow down drive to a safe place suggestion that most law enforecement agencies are now recommending, that could mean a 10 or 12 mile "low-speed police chase" if you're on Hwy 98 between the 331 Tom Thumb and the Texaco near Shades; not many wel-lit places in that stretch. It might be most fitting if you're in OJ's white Bronco.

A couple of observations of how it's done in Alabama:

Along I-65 in the (southern) Shelby County and Chilton County area, there is a gray Lexus or Infinity that is used by law enforcement for traffic stops. It is unmarked and has windshield lights; I am not sure what agency uses it, but I have heard that it is a State Trooper, but I have spoken to the commander at another State Trooper post (about another issue), and he informed me that his post does not use such vehicles to pull drivers over for traffic enforcement.

Also, some friends of mine were pulled over in Camp Hill, Alabama, a rural town along Hwy 280 between Alex City and Auburn, on their way to a football game, by a completely unmarked Dodge Charger with Illinois license plates. The driver/ticketing officer wore a polo shirt with a generic embroidered badge and said he was with the Camp Hill Police Department. He issued a computer-generated ticket (which upon discussion with 3rd party LEOs we believe to be legitimate) for speeding and claimed that he smelled alcohol (although no one in the vehicle had consumed or opened any products containing alcohol). This was apparently some type of gameday traffic sting orchestrated by a rather small town police force, but this seems like the type of event and traffic situation where LEOs should be present, obvious and easily identifiable. I know that as you approach Tuscaloosa on gamedays, there are a few areas where uniformed State Troopers and marked State Trooper vehicles assemble to safely assist and mage traffic flow. Sneaking around in suspicious cars with exotic license plates doesn't really seem like a way to promote safety or to portray law enforecement presence to visitors including families and friends of all ages on their way to enjoy a game together.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
More than likely the SUV is used by investigators or supervisors and not routine patrol. Regardless if someone is doing 90 in a 45 I'd prefer a LEO stop the vehicle before they kill someone.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
More than likely the SUV is used by investigators or supervisors and not routine patrol. Regardless if someone is doing 90 in a 45 I'd prefer a LEO stop the vehicle before they kill someone.

Agreed in that situation; I've even been driving before and wanted to pull a Mayberry citizen's arrest when observing some crazy acts committed by people behind the wheel.