• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GreenWaveDave

Beach Lover
Oct 24, 2005
Paula said:
... In our nice old midwest neighborhood, we lose retirees to Florida every year as a second home or to complete move there. I don't hear of many people going to the Panhandle and 30A area, though, because they don't know about it. If they did, I think they'd seriously consider moving there as well or at least getting second homes there.

Yet another reason why it's still time to buy.....

It's just a matter of time before EVERYONE knows and is able to easily get to 30A (e.g. new PC airport).
Look at how much property values have gone up since people have started to "know" about 30A. We've just scratched the surface on notariety, awareness, and appreciation for the area. A $599,000 lot on the north side of 30A with a gulf view would go for more like $2,000,000 + in areas of SW FL like Naples and Sarasota. People from all over didn't always know about those places either, but now everyone sure does and as a result it's too late for many people to afford that kind of property (and the people who got in early and bought at the right time are now sitting pretty!).

Definitely still time to buy!

Hans

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Re: Sooo.....To buy or not?

Sooooo......that's the good advice I've got here.

1. Locate 30 ft. above the sea, but not on the waterfront, within a short walk there.

2. Preferrably build yourself, on a lot with no build-out terms. Failing this, buy a place of recent construction which does not include stick and stucco construction and is certified to comply with regulations.

3 And all this only if I were to locate here.... :clap_1: :clap_1: or be investing for the long term.

I thank all for their sage advice, especially "Kurt" for his concise and "ecopal" for his expansive advice. How nice,... to be able to draw on the experience and help of this community.

Hans.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
And get a really good construction company. When we first got onto 30A, we heard that things were going up so quickly that some buildings weren't as well made as others. I don't know if that's true, but you want to find out who the really good contractors are.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Paula said:
And get a really good construction company. When we first got onto 30A, we heard that things were going up so quickly that some buildings weren't as well made as others. I don't know if that's true, but you want to find out who the really good contractors are.

It's not only true, in situations like SoWal's it is unavoidable. Paula makes a good point. If you want to build, get on a waiting list for a good builder if you have to. Don't make things harder on yourself by rushing.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal

Hans said:
Sooooo......that's the good advice I've got here.

1. Locate 30 ft. above the sea, but not on the waterfront, within a short walk there.

2. Preferrably build yourself, on a lot with no build-out terms. Failing this, buy a place of recent construction which does not include stick and stucco construction and is certified to comply with regulations.

3 And all this only if I were to locate here.... :clap_1: :clap_1: or be investing for the long term.

I thank all for their sage advice, especially "Kurt" for his concise and "ecopal" for his expansive advice. How nice,... to be able to draw on the experience and help of this community.

Hans.
Get the time machine from Napoleon Dynamite and buy your land in 1955.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

Bob said:
Get the time machine from Napoleon Dynamite and buy your land in 1955.
Heck, why tie up the money that long. Roll back to 1998.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005

Smiling JOe said:
Heck, why tie up the money that long. Roll back to 1998.

Or better yet...don't tie up any $$$$ at all and save the headaches and heartaches of taxes, HOA, insurance, etc., etc.--just rent for a couple of weeks here when it strikes your fancy and let the landlord deal with all the dirty details. In between visits, go see the rest of the world. Live free...live well...die broke!

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Another problem with stucco, both synthetic and 'real', is that it takes a certain skill level to apply it properly. And if it isn't applied properly, you get water from a sprinkler or a normal rainstorm getting through cracks in the stucco, and then stuck next to wood frame, where it will rot over time.

Synthetic stucco particularly has a bad reputation for this, bad enough that the standard real estate disclosure form in these parts has a line about synthetic stucco just like there's a line for hurricane damage and polybutelene plumbing.

Not so much of a problem with concrete block construction because you don't have the rotting aspect, but you still want it carefully applied to prevent water trapping.