• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

minnetonkamari

Beach Crab
Apr 1, 2010
We are vacation homeowners at Watercolor and have 3 toy breed dogs. We are used to living in a Metro area where people are pretty diligent about picking up after their dogs. I don't go out without 3-4 poop bags tied to one of the leashes. I've never seen so much un-picked-up dog poop as down here. You can't go for a walk without seeing loads of dog doodie all over. It's gross and I can't imagine what folks who aren't dog owners or dog lovers must think. It really bums me out because responsible dog owners would never do that, but irresponsible ones make everyone look bad. I've also experienced so many people walking their dogs off-leash and/or just letting them roam around unleashed.

I'd love to see a fenced dog park where well behaved dogs and their owners could visit and interact. Dogs that don't get to run and play with other dogs or never learn to, end up being poorly behaved when they do encounter other dogs. They just never learn to communicate with other dogs and just "be" dogs. We've all walked our dogs past a poor dog being pulled and restrained by it's owner because encountering another dog is so stressful for them.

Just my two cents on being a dog owner down here.

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
We are vacation homeowners at Watercolor and have 3 toy breed dogs. We are used to living in a Metro area where people are pretty diligent about picking up after their dogs. I don't go out without 3-4 poop bags tied to one of the leashes. I've never seen so much un-picked-up dog poop as down here. You can't go for a walk without seeing loads of dog doodie all over. It's gross and I can't imagine what folks who aren't dog owners or dog lovers must think. It really bums me out because responsible dog owners would never do that, but irresponsible ones make everyone look bad. I've also experienced so many people walking their dogs off-leash and/or just letting them roam around unleashed.

I'd love to see a fenced dog park where well behaved dogs and their owners could visit and interact. Dogs that don't get to run and play with other dogs or never learn to, end up being poorly behaved when they do encounter other dogs. They just never learn to communicate with other dogs and just "be" dogs. We've all walked our dogs past a poor dog being pulled and restrained by it's owner because encountering another dog is so stressful for them.

thank you for voicing what i have been saying for a long time. my dog is always on a leash when outside, and we always pick up after her. what is so difficult? the fact is many dog owners are just too darn lazy to do either, which is pathetic. it seems we live in a very "it's about me" time without any consideration for others. my dog was attacked and injured by two loose dogs owned by locals who knew their dogs were violent. just this past week, a pit bull owned locally by someone who never kept it penned in or leashed severely injured a neighbor's small dog. i am sick and tired of this issue and think i need to start beating down the county's door over this issue. it always amazes me how when i tell an owner whose dogs are loose that they need to put them on a leash, they get smart with me and act like i'm nuts. these people should just not have pets. they obviously don't care if the dogs get run over by a car. have seen this almost happen several times in the village of blue mountain beach with numerous dogs.

kudos to you for speaking out.

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
Poop

I am a pet sitter just moving to the area today. I know how you feel. I've picked up much poop over the years doing what I do and get very frustrated when I see that others do not do the same. Thanks for the post. Brenda Groetsch (504) 231-5358 HEART PET SITTING SERVICES No local phone number yet. Just moving today.

thank you for voicing what i have been saying for a long time. my dog is always on a leash when outside, and we always pick up after her. what is so difficult? the fact is many dog owners are just too darn lazy to do either, which is pathetic. it seems we live in a very "it's about me" time without any consideration for others. my dog was attacked and injured by two loose dogs owned by locals who knew their dogs were violent. just this past week, a pit bull owned locally by someone who never kept it penned in or leashed severely injured a neighbor's small dog. i am sick and tired of this issue and think i need to start beating down the county's door over this issue. it always amazes me how when i tell an owner whose dogs are loose that they need to put them on a leash, they get smart with me and act like i'm nuts. these people should just not have pets. they obviously don't care if the dogs get run over by a car. have seen this almost happen several times in the village of blue mountain beach with numerous dogs.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

Thank you for explaining so well why visiting dogs are no longer allowed on the beach!

blueeyes2go

Beach Comber
Feb 9, 2010
I moved here in early feb. and have yet to see people not picking up their dog's poop. I live in a neighborhood right on 30a. As far as I can see the people who live here carry bags even to the beach just for that purpose. Could be a matter of money-they think they have paid so much for a summer rental for vacation that they think someone else must have been paid to do the dirty work-like poop picking. Maybe Watercolor needs some pastel street signs that read- Picking up poo can be pretty too!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I constantly see people letting their dog poop and then not picking it up. Sometimes I consider installing an air horn so I can scare them. :angry:

It's very much an either/or situation. There are people that do clean up and carry bags with them etc. and do a good job.

sullygromo

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2008

Um, no one acts like you're nuts. Your points are fair enough...you are just a rude, nasty person who needs to learn how to make your opinion known in a POLITE way...maybe then people wouldn't "get smart" (really?) with you! Just my .02.

sisters4

Beach Lover
Jul 19, 2005
Unleashed dogs are usually so sweet but how can anyone know the personality of the dog they approach and visa versa. As much as we all love our dogs people need to remember that they are dogs and have an instinct. As to the poop thing - I have come down there for many years and have never noticed the poop thing as being anything out of the ordinary. Maybe I have never stayed in the poopy area. That being said owners should pick up the poop as a courtesy.

Are unleashed dogs allowed on The Beaches of South Walton? We always have Aris Blue Skies Black Pepper on a leash, as per the contract with her breeder so that she does not become road-kill and via our own rule that she does not intimidate people with her almost 50-pound "peppery" personality.

Pepper does her business in our fenced-in yard. We always bring poop bags with us when she goes to the beach in case she has the urge there.

Recently I saw a lab-mix dog on the beach with no owner in sight. S/he ran around according to his/her own volition and pooped wherever s/he desired.

Dunno what one does about that. :dunno:

Last edited: