Tourists not welcome?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by 4robbins, Oct 9, 2012.

1. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

And who is going to police this? Before you know it the dogs will be running off the leash, poop will be everywhere and visitors who either are afraid of dogs or just want to be left in peace are going to be put off. Too bad there are so many irresponsible owners.

2. groveral

groveral Beach Lover

Excellent idea!

3. shellak

shellak Beach Fanatic

visitors with dogs

Most beaches do not permit dogs, period. While I am very appreciative of the fact that your dogs were on leashes, I don't think we need to be encouraging more people to bring more dogs. I am a resident and have stopped purchasing a permit because of all the inconsiderate pet owners who think it is perfectly acceptable to let their dogs run loose on the beach. It is particularly irritating when these same people are carrying a leash but the dog is not on it. There were numerous incidents where these dogs went after mine. I am tired of the stupidity and laziness of these dogs owners. You can be certain if the County began issuing permits to the tourists, many of them would not follow the rules, and the County isn't going to bother to enforce them. Look at the stuff people leave on the beach overnight, which is against the rules.

4. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

Saw a dog on the beach the other evening running free and trailing his leash behind while the owners (I assume) stood nearby enjoying the sunset. I guess technically the dog was on the leash - where does it say someone has to be at the other end? Why is it those who don't live here, groveral, seem to think these sort of things are alright and the rest of us should just "get a life"? We had a pretty good life before so many of you started arriving and our leaders started chasing the almighty dollar. LEAVE YOUR DOGS AT HOME!!

5. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Tourists are welcome. In my opinion, their dogs are not welcome on the beach. There would just be too many dogs. I think that tourists would be less likely to follow the rules than we residents/owners because we have to answer to our neighbors.

Plus I have found out since we sold our home in Seagrove that the number of pet-friendly rentals is limited, and they book up quickly. Thank goodness we close on the new house next month and can get our dog a new license. BTW I never let her off the leash on the beach.

6. Winelover

Winelover Beach Lover

If the county is not going to patrol the beaches....then as responsible, educated and concerned locals, we should approach the offenders and explain the laws on the spot. Education is key to everyone (4 legged and 2 legged) to enjoy our beaches and the freedoms that out county fights for.

7. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

4robbins, I understand your anger, but with respect to the speed limit analogy, maybe this helps. One time I was pulled over by a Georgia state trooper for speeding while in a group of cars going roughly the same speed. When I asked why he was ticketing me when there were others going the same speed or faster, he just said "Son, when you're shooting at a flock of birds, it doesn't much matter which one you hit."

For a while I was angry too, but over time I realized he'd given me a valuable lesson. Flocking may provide coverage, but it is not a defense. In the long run, this is probably a good thing.

8. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    I've also heard the fishing analogy. You won't catch all of the fish, but hopefully you'll catch a few.

9. SlowMovin

SlowMovin Beach Fanatic

I once heard a judge speaking before a group who described it like this...

The law is intended to be "just." Just is not necessarily "fair." If you get ticketed for doing the same thing everyone else is doing, that is not fair. But it is just--because you were, after all, still breaking the law.

10. Lady D

Lady D SoWal Insider

This kind of comments make me angry. Our tourist dollars brings a huge amount of revenue to the panhandle. We bring our dog with us. We do not take him on the beach. However, when we used to rent the same place every year in Inlet Beach, the people in the next building of townhouses always had their dogs with them. They owned the unit they stayed in. Their dogs were off leash on the beach and messing on the beach right in front of us. The owner did clean it up but what's the difference? A dog on the beach is a dog on the beach! Tourist or resident/owner!

11. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

I agree the dog on the beach is the problem but I have lived here a long time and am very familiar with our beach and all that goes on there. I used to live on the beach. And I can tell you it is our visitors that abuse the beach in many ways and totally ignore signs, beach flags, ordinances, rules on the bike path and I could go on. It is not just my opinion it is the was it IS!!! Just yesterday I was on the beach trying to get rid of an unleashed dog that attached itself to my leg! No, the dog owners did not live here and they knew better. As a resident I should be able to walk the beach anytime I want and feel safe from unleashed dogs. An unleashed dog that I don't know that is heading toward me you bet is a nuisance and sometimes I am fearful for my safety. I should be able to walk the beach without that stress!!! Most of the dogs I see are not permitted anyway and shouldn't even be on the beach! And yes, I am an animal lover and dog owner but I personally don't think dogs belong on the beach so mine stays home!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  12. Scooter

Scooter Beach Fanatic

I love bringing my dogs to the beach. Yes, they are on a leash. This is one of the reasons that Walton County just doesn't do it for me anymore. Too many rules, too many restrictions.

13. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Then why do you still participate on the SoWal.com forum? Just curious.

14. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

Yes, too many rules and restrictions because too many people don't do what they are supposed to do and they have absolutely no respect for others. And too many rules and restrictions that are NEVER enforced and that's why they write more! The answer is very simple!!!

15. Scooter

Scooter Beach Fanatic

Jdarg - I own property there and like to keep up with what's going on. Before our horrible experience in June, we were ready to build. Too many rules and restrictions because there are too many people now!!!!!! Thought I was safe because highrises were not allowed anymore.

16. Douglas

Douglas Beach Comber

Why do you care whether visitors ignore beach flags?

Visitors can't ignore bike path rules if they never pass one of the scarce signs listing those rules. Likewise, if they use a private beach access, they won't see the beach rules signs.

I agree that unleased dogs can be a nuisance, large ones anyway. Visitors and residents alike should know not to let their dogs frighten other people.

17. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

And one more thing. Did anyone else read the first post that started this thread? 4robbins said he was kicked off the beach because he was not a resident here. It had NOTHING to do with his dogs being off the leash but it had everything to do with his dogs NOT having permits for the beach. But the point really is that no one seems to follow the rules anyway and Walton county does not enforce much if anything and for me the latter is the real problem here!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  18. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

I'm more afraid of the small yappy ones.

Oh, and clowns too. There should be a rule against clowns on the beach. Especially the kind that make those balloon animals.

19. Scooter

Scooter Beach Fanatic

Lenzoe! You are hilarious!!!!!