• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Costa Rica is AWESOME with no militia and a small policia that are not aggressive. That's probably why citizens take things into their own hands. It is a pristine and beautiful country. I love it there!

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I just don't understand why all the pro-law and order folks are so upset about the failure of the proper authorities to enforce the law so that this woman who gets up at dawn to walk the beach in an attempt to protect these rapidly disappearing creatures isn't driven to take the law into her own hands. Yes, destroying abandoned and potentially dangerous items is the responsibility of the county. This is a classic example of a decent person getting caught in the gap between what our community agrees should be rules, and the failure to enforce those rules.

Now that we all know the name of the woman who allegedly snapped, I'd love to know the names of the people who left the crap on the beach that prevented the turtle from nesting. I'd like to know who is behind the effort to prevent the TDC and county authorities from removing the gypsy encampments from the beach at night during turtle nesting season.

Would someone please go set up a fund for this woman to hire a fantastic attorney? I'll volunteer to be a fundraiser! I feel a handpainted sign inspiration coming on...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I don't support destruction of private property, but I am a huge advocate of removing trash from the beach. If being pissed off by the tons of crap left on the beach causes one to snap, you can consider me a snapper.

I usually draw with the recipient of my work in mind, but I this drawing I made a while back, had no recipient at the time. I suppose I was reserving it for a moment like this.

The original drawing pictured below, will go to the highest bidder, who can make the check payable to the turtle watcher herself, or her defense fund if she has one. Feel free to bid right here on this thread. I guess the "auction" will need a closing date and time, so let's make it for Wednesday, July 1, 2009 at 2:00pm Central.

img00475.jpg

"Sea Turtle"
18"x24"
pencil, washed with water, on paper

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
The lady this thread is about is Mary. This was her first year as a walker and her last. She was asked to leave this group as soon as the news about this broke and she understood why. She had no intention of hurting the turtle watch group.

To those reponding on this thread about stuff being able to be left out, I invite you, I implore you to join me for a week of turtle walk. I 'll be able to show you items left on the beach for more than a week that is obviously abandoned. And it's not just broken shovels and empty beer cans. It's a perfectly good swimming pool over near Stinky's that has set there in front of a condo for two weeks now. It was two umbrellas at the outfall of Stallworth Lake for nearly two weeks. This list goes on forever. I know it's abandoned, but I cannot legally pick them up for fear of someone crying foul.

Often I pick up chairs, clothing, shovels, pails and water bottles washing in the surf and toss them further up the beach in hopes of someone claiming them that day. For all we know, it entered the surf 1/2 mile down and will never be claimed.

I've been picking up obvious trash like empty cans, broken toys and spent fireworks. In a 2 mile stretch of beach, I will typically need to empty a plastic grocery bag 3-4 times. It would seem that I'll need to stop this service as now we have some folks claiming that stuff probably should be afforded the same status as a brand new tent set up last night.

I'm taking a position right here. I'm done picking up anything on the beaches until this issue is resolved. If the folks using the beaches want to be slobs, then eventually they're going to reap the rewards for their actions by not being able to find a clean beach to trash in a while. I only hope the turtles survive what humans are doing to this planet.

gardening1970

Beach Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
Atlanta
I'm taking a position right here. I'm done picking up anything on the beaches until this issue is resolved. If the folks using the beaches want to be slobs, then eventually they're going to reap the rewards for their actions by not being able to find a clean beach to trash in a while. I only hope the turtles survive what humans are doing to this planet.

This is a very sad commentary. You are obviously an asset to your community. Those of us who appreciate clean beaches when we vacation also appreciate your work. Like most other things in life, some people do more than their share, while some do as little as possible. :dunno:

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
To those reponding on this thread about stuff being able to be left out, I invite you, I implore you to join me for a week of turtle walk.

Ash, I think if you go back and read every comment, you will see No One is in favor of leaving trash on the beach. I have not seen a single comment to that effect.

Those of us that support not breaking the law to make a point; do not have to be against keeping the beaches clean or protecting the turtles. We can support the law and support clean beaches and the local law enforcement.

I do find it rather upsetting that it appears, and please anyone correct me if I am wrong, that there is am implication that if you are pro law enforcement you are anti-clean beaches and anti-turtle and that is definitely not the case in my personal situation and I seriously doubt it is the case for anyone else. We always help clean the beach area when visiting and personally I see absolutely no reason to take all that crap to the beach anyway.

Law enforcement have a very hard job especially in a small town and I grew up in one, to balance being popular among their fellow residents and enforcing the laws they are sworn to uphold.

There are better ways of making a point than getting arrested. She probably had the best of intentions but went about it the wrong way. I get very upset when in the area about reckless drivers both local and non, but I am not going to slash someone's tires to make a point.

Last edited:

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
And I have absolutely no problem with picking that stuff up and disposing of it in a yard sale or something.

I got to find a flashlight with a red lense now that I think about it.

One of our own local entrepreneurs and terrific community members, Arix Zalace, has developed flashlight lens covers that filter out precisely the right wavelengths of light to keep from bothering turtles and other wildlife, while helping humans see where they're going. You can buy these covers at Raw & Juicy in the airstream at Seaside! If you're hot and thirsty when you go by there, I recommend the watermelon water, or a young coconut (enough for a meal in hot summer for me).

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
It's not just trash that's the problem on the beach and I'd venture to say the trash is less visible in the whole.
If you truly want to have clean beaches that folks can take a morning stroll on, and children can play in the surf, then you must include the beach chairs left because it broke or the owners just saw no value in toting it back to their home state. It'll be the tents left when folks leave because they maybe really believe someone else will claim it and it will service another family.

If we must bring turtles into the mix, they can quite readily crawl around or over most plastic pails, broken shovels and beach towels. The do have four wheel drive. What they don't have is reverse and when they encounter a huge hole or tent stakes, they're stuck until they get help.

Besides the turtles, there are the many who like to be on the beach at night who shouldn't have to worry about stumbling into a hole or tripping over wire holding up a tent. It just takes away from the experience.

Besides the folks wanting access to the beach, there is also the need for access for emergency vehicles. Some beach areas are so narrow the TDC can't run their trucks once people are on the beach. Now imagine an emergency requiring access to that same stretch of beach only to find tents chairs and large holes to contend with to get to a victim. This doesn't matter whether it's day or night, but at night, they may not even see that huge hole until it creates additional victims.

Minnie, you PM'd me about how many on this thread may be turtle walkers. I'm a walker and absolutely proud to be counted among them. It gives something back to an area I consider myself very blessed to be a part of. I'm not aware of any others posting being walkers. Anyone else care to stand up and :wave:

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
Please don't talk about moving to Costa Rica guys!! :cry: I am about to venture forth, leave all I have here, to move to your paradise. I want us to find solutions, I want to help. Tell me what I need to do to help educate others and do my part.

What does a citizen do? Do I take a garbage bag to the beach on every early morning walk and make it a litter patrol? What am I allowed to pick up legally?

I've been to Costa Rica - the grass is always greener on the other side. While I LOVED it - I love SoWal MORE!

G :cry: