turtle watch volunteer arrested

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by dmarie, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Just Curious

Just Curious Beach Fanatic

I believe somebody gets paid for administrative work, also there is a coordinator and an assistant, and anybody that walks at least three times a week has the opportunity to get paid.

2. Interested Girl

Interested Girl Beach Fanatic

When we bought our property you could shoot a cannon east and west and never strike a soul. Your statement does not apply to me and even if it did just because someone was there does not mean they had the legal right to be there.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  3. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

This photo was taken near the "incident" about 9am this morning:

[​IMG]

...and nearby signs like this are posted:

[​IMG]

4. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

If you buy a piece of property in the woods, and you go to the property and see many people on the property, choose to buy it anyway, that is your problem. No different here. Sure, people who bought when no one else vacationed here, may have an excuse, though not legitimate in my opinion, but they wouldn't be in the majority in Walton County. I bet less than ten deeded Gulf Front owners have ever complained about the TDC trucks coming onto the beach to remove the garbage, even if the owners bought in 1952.

5. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Thank you for the kind words and no appology is needed. We all do that at times on this board (group people together) and while it may be wrong, in the heat of the moment, it is done by all of us. Someone once suggested you create a response to a post, read it, and then delete it. If you come back to it and post it, then it is really your opinion. I am far too responsive for that. So I guess I'll continue to make some posts that upon reflection I shouldn't have made. But then, that is part of the fun in participating on this board.

6. Interested Girl

Interested Girl Beach Fanatic

And you would be wrong and loose the bet.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Bobby J

Bobby J Beach Fanatic

Whether you agree or disagree Mary has probably done more for the "get the crap" off the beach cause then anyone has done in a long time!

I was down in Seagrove last night and was appalled at all the crap left on the beach.

I truly feel if people were forced to bring there junk in at night they may think twice about what they bring down there. Imagine having fun at the beach without all that plastic junk....:roll:

8. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

I think this issue rates a photo expose' by the fabulous Kurt--especially the garbage heap left behind on the morning of the 5th of July before we haul our arses out of bed at 0'dark-thirty to clean up the mess. Me thinks that visitors may be under the impression that our beach cleans itself--or that the county has a "Disney-like" squad of cleaners who leap out from behind the dunes.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  9. ann hodnett

ann hodnett Beach Lover

A shout out to Katherine,
    Hope you are reading this! We love you!

10. GoodWitch58

GoodWitch58 Beach Fanatic

I really wish that one of the newspapers would do an expose..with full color photographs...showing just what is happening to the beaches--it would probably be picked up by AP and Facebook and Twitter and we would make the International News...to think that we have such a treasure in our natural habitat and we are destroying it...by neglect, laziness, and lack of government regulations that are appropriate or elected officials who have the courage to enforce the rules they've written.

It is disgraceful IMO.

11. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

...the TDC would NEVER let that happen...Hey! Maybe we can blackmail them by threatening to send the portfolio of photos to the St Pete Times (local papers wouldn't post the story) unless they get off their collective arses and do some serious cracking down on the overnight and abandoned beach crap and scrap.

12. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

That reminded me of my dad, who used to say the same thing about Hwy 98 in wintertime, particularly in front of the store we owned 30-40 years ago. :wub:

However, I also had relatives who owned gulffront property, and while they didn't appreciate people traipsing through their sandspur-filled back yard and using their private stairs, people walking across "their" sand from east to west didn't bother them in the least. I honestly don't think it ever occurred to them to consider the beach itself as their private property. Far as they were concerned, owning to the MHWL just meant someone couldn't build between them and the beach. It was a kinder, simpler time, and I miss the heck out of it.

13. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

I agree completely...

14. GoodWitch58

GoodWitch58 Beach Fanatic

sounds good to me.:D

15. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Hadn't looked at this thread since yesterday. I applaud all of these posters for their gutsy posts! SHELLY and gw...get on it!

SJ...once again, you have provided the pic that says it all. I snapped a little when I saw it. I am trying to think jsut how I would react if I had driven 12 hours in the car for our once a year vacation and walked down to the beach to see this junkpile....I probably would have cried. I can't imagine I would pay to return to such a mess the next year. Does the TDC really believe this is good PR????

16. jd

jd Beach Lover

Disapproving of this lady's actions doesn't mean you believe leaving junk on the beach is ok. It just means you know there is a more rational, mature and LEGAL way of handling the situation!

17. Bobby J

Bobby J Beach Fanatic

Do tell us what that might be.

18. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

This is a disgrace. Since the Ordinance went into effect, this hasn't happened to this degree at Blue Mountain, but we have lifeguard stands, too. They do a great job watching the waters AND the beaches for violators.

Hope the County gets this revised soon so they can resume their duties.

19. jd

jd Beach Lover

Tourists were removed from the beach????? Sounds like there's a good story there!!! ;-)

20. Everytime

Everytime Beach Fanatic

Thanks for clarifying this for me! I knew about the light hazard, but I had heard from some posters or notices in the past that humans shouldn't be (or sleep) on the beach at night because we are therefore a potential obstruction to a potential sea turtle who may be needing to lay potential eggs. Common sense would tell me to watch out for her and move out of her way, so I am glad we are not legislatively forbidden from traversing the beach at night.

wrobert, I think you would find that you and I probably agree on more political issues than we disagree on. The obvious exceptions appear to be overnight beach belongings and misplaced high rises. However, I always thought you were an anti-tax person, yet now you are wanting people to be taxed for designated t-shirts? Isn't that a bit burdensome and, well, over-taxing?