• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
For whatever this may be worth. When the remove-it-lose-it bit first started, I contacted the TDC to find out what was being done with the removed items. My idea was to get them to donate them to Goodwill, Caring & Sharing, etc., or even have a county beach-stuff store, using proceeds to help fund the cleanup -- rather than landfilling the stuff. They told me none of those could be done, because in order to fit all the stuff in the trucks when the staff were removing them, they had to pop floats, slash tent and otherwise make most of the items unusable, to cram them into the trucks.

So if Brady did indeed slash tent canopies and deflate floats, she was simply following the lead of our beach cleanup crews.

I am not a lawyer, and I've never played one on TV, but I'm hoping some legal minded person can explain how is it legal for TDC/Sheriff staff to smash, slash and trash abandoned beach stuff but not for a citizen to do the same? Wouldn't it be sort of like a citizen's arrest (anybody here old enough to remember the Andy Griffith show?), only she was arresting stuff rather than people?

Interesting point Susan...so she is REALLY a volunteer for the TDC also....maybe they can step in a help out with legal answers ????

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
I'm not planning on bringing her home to Momma...I'd just like to assist in the removal of the nighttime crap & scrap from the beach.

SHELLY,

If she was arrested for stealing people's property (because she was removing it from the beach) then I would agree 100% with you and I would feel comfortable saying we needmore people like her. I'd join that posse. But from what I have read about this, she didn't remove anything- she damaged it.

We need vigilantes who get fed up with the local government and respond by removing property left overnight to clean our beaches. This lady got fed up all right but she didn't serve her cause by cleaning up- she just messed up stuff and got herself into trouble...

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
This thread begs the question: Is it legal to move items left on the beach to another location on the beach? That doesn't sound like stealing by definition, nor does it sound like vandalism. If this be the case, it should be legal to move said items to a location on the beach, in close proximity to the TDC trashcans.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
This thread begs the question: Is it legal to move items left on the beach to another location on the beach? That doesn't sound like stealing by definition, nor does it sound like vandalism. If this be the case, it should be legal to move said items to a location on the beach, in close proximity to the TDC trashcans.

It still goes back to what is public and what is private. Until that gets resolved we are going to go in circles on this issue. Private property is private property. You can not abandon stuff you leave in your yard just cause your yard touches the Gulf or is made of white sand.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com

And while I am thinking about it, I am going to mail you a LED flashlight next time I am at wally world and can get one. So when you get a package from me, that is what it is. I do not want you to have to stumble around in the dark on the beach any longer.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
My 2 cents:

She totally "Over Reacted."

She could have made "one" call (sub station/TDC) and this issue could have been resolved.

Apparently she needed a "chill pill" that day.....................:dunno:

I feel sorry for her :cry:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Thanks, but using flashlights on the beach only addresses the symptom of the problem, not the problem itself, which is unfilled holes and crap left on the beach overnight. Finding cures for symptoms rather than problems, is why we have so many pharmaceutical medications, each complete with many side effects, which require more meds to treat the side effects caused by the other medicines. If we treated the actual problem, we wouldn't have a gluttony of symptoms to treat. No different with the beach crap and holes. If we can educate people to remove their crap overnight, and fill in holes they dig, leaving the beach as pristine as they found it, or better, there are no problems, nor symptoms, and everyone wins.

BTW, there is plenty of publicly deeded beach in Walton County, with plenty of crap left abandoned on it, overnight, throughout the entire summer.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
Gidget, you are not being too naive. I had the same thought a couple of years ago when everyone was drowning in the rip currents. I suggested the TDC create a short video to email (or mail a DVD) out to all of the rental companies to forward to their guests. The video could be branded with TDC stuff, and there could be a fun/educational one for kids to watch, too, not only getting them more excited about their upcoming trip, but helping educate them in the process, and potentially saving their lives. Adding beach etiquitte would be easy enough. The TDC somewhat liked the idea, but to my knowledge, they have done nothing with the idea.

That would be fantastic - rip currents, beach etiquette, and some of the questions asked CONSTANTLY of you locals. I think that is a great idea and perhaps now is an opportune time to reintroduce the idea to the TDC. You know, kids are the EASIEST to "train" regarding what's "right". They LONG to be involved and do the right thing by nature and sea turtles, etc.... I witness that when they remind us about "green" living ideas they have learned.

Thanks for responding.

G

steyou

Beach Fanatic
Feb 20, 2007
Walton County
For whatever this may be worth. When the remove-it-lose-it bit first started, I contacted the TDC to find out what was being done with the removed items. My idea was to get them to donate them to Goodwill, Caring & Sharing, etc., or even have a county beach-stuff store, using proceeds to help fund the cleanup -- rather than landfilling the stuff. They told me none of those could be done, because in order to fit all the stuff in the trucks when the staff were removing them, they had to pop floats, slash tent and otherwise make most of the items unusable, to cram them into the trucks.

So if Brady did indeed slash tent canopies and deflate floats, she was simply following the lead of our beach cleanup crews.

I am not a lawyer, and I've never played one on TV, but I'm hoping some legal minded person can explain how is it legal for TDC/Sheriff staff to smash, slash and trash abandoned beach stuff but not for a citizen to do the same? Wouldn't it be sort of like a citizen's arrest (anybody here old enough to remember the Andy Griffith show?), only she was arresting stuff rather than people?

Was it Gober or Gomer that did the citizens arrest. I think it was Gomer. That was pretty funny.:rotfl: