• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Oh come on, wrobert. My wife and I "turtle watched" one year at Topsail. NO ONE GETS PAID, to the best of my knowledge. I know we certainly didn't nor did we expect to. wrobert, I have the deepest respect for you but you obviously know nothing about the beach situation in Walton County so, with all due respect, may I suggest you keep informing us on things you DO know about.

I believe somebody gets paid for administrative work, also there is a coordinator and an assistant, and anybody that walks at least three times a week has the opportunity to get paid.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
...and I suppose no one who purchased property, deeded to the water, did their due diligence and noticed that the public was using the beach to sunbath and play. That is something you should have observed, without having to need it disclosed.

When we bought our property you could shoot a cannon east and west and never strike a soul. Your statement does not apply to me and even if it did just because someone was there does not mean they had the legal right to be there.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
This photo was taken near the "incident" about 9am this morning:

p6180031_s.jpg

...and nearby signs like this are posted:

p6060009_s.jpg

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
When we bought our property you could shoot a cannon east and west and never strike a soul. Your statement does not apply to me and even if it did just because someone was there does not mean they had the legal right to be there.
If you buy a piece of property in the woods, and you go to the property and see many people on the property, choose to buy it anyway, that is your problem. No different here. Sure, people who bought when no one else vacationed here, may have an excuse, though not legitimate in my opinion, but they wouldn't be in the majority in Walton County. I bet less than ten deeded Gulf Front owners have ever complained about the TDC trucks coming onto the beach to remove the garbage, even if the owners bought in 1952.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Andy - I agree - sometimes we group people together and assign a phrase or cute remark - It is not right and I appologize to all for my lack of judgement. Nothing added to the discussion by that post and I can only say I am sorry.

Actually I think declaring old 98 a "scenic highway" is a joke. Nothing scenic about the back side of high rise after high rise. Do I think the area has been neglected in the past - yes, but scenic "Give Me A Break".:rotfl:

I respect your opinion and we agree on more things than not.

You stand as a man and express your viewpoint and I respect that.
Thank you for the kind words and no appology is needed. We all do that at times on this board (group people together) and while it may be wrong, in the heat of the moment, it is done by all of us. Someone once suggested you create a response to a post, read it, and then delete it. If you come back to it and post it, then it is really your opinion. I am far too responsive for that. So I guess I'll continue to make some posts that upon reflection I shouldn't have made. But then, that is part of the fun in participating on this board.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
If you buy a piece of property in the woods, and you go to the property and see many people on the property, choose to buy it anyway, that is your problem. No different here. Sure, people who bought when no one else vacationed here, may have an excuse, though not legitimate in my opinion, but they wouldn't be in the majority in Walton County. I bet less than ten deeded Gulf Front owners have ever complained about the TDC trucks coming onto the beach to remove the garbage, even if the owners bought in 1952.

And you would be wrong and loose the bet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Whether you agree or disagree Mary has probably done more for the "get the crap" off the beach cause then anyone has done in a long time!

I was down in Seagrove last night and was appalled at all the crap left on the beach.

I truly feel if people were forced to bring there junk in at night they may think twice about what they bring down there. Imagine having fun at the beach without all that plastic junk....:roll:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Whether you agree or disagree Mary has probably done more for the "get the crap" off the beach cause then anyone has done in a long time!

I was down in Seagrove last night and was appalled at all the crap left on the beach.

I truly feel if people were forced to bring there junk in at night they may think twice about what they bring down there. Imagine having fun at the beach without all that plastic junk....:roll:

I think this issue rates a photo expose' by the fabulous Kurt--especially the garbage heap left behind on the morning of the 5th of July before we haul our arses out of bed at 0'dark-thirty to clean up the mess. Me thinks that visitors may be under the impression that our beach cleans itself--or that the county has a "Disney-like" squad of cleaners who leap out from behind the dunes.

Last edited:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I think this issue rates a photo expose' by the fabulous Kurt--especially the garbage heap left behind on the morning of the 5th of July before we haul our arses out of bed at 0'dark-thirty to clean up the mess. Me thinks that visitors may be under the impression that our beach cleans itself--or that the county has a "Disney-like" squad of cleaners who leap out from behind the dunes.

I really wish that one of the newspapers would do an expose..with full color photographs...showing just what is happening to the beaches--it would probably be picked up by AP and Facebook and Twitter and we would make the International News...to think that we have such a treasure in our natural habitat and we are destroying it...by neglect, laziness, and lack of government regulations that are appropriate or elected officials who have the courage to enforce the rules they've written.

It is disgraceful IMO.