• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Also note, on the flip side, a common argument is that these legal wranglings cause a 'slippery sloap' opening up the opportuntiy for all manner of things to be forced upon religious institutions. That is not the case here. The ACLU is not going to decend upon your church after Amendment 2 fails and force your preacher to extol the virtues of same sex unions. Nothing will change within the confines of your church, you will be free to believe, whatever it is you want to believe.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Also note, on the flip side, a common argument is that these legal wranglings cause a 'slippery sloap' opening up the opportuntiy for all manner of things to be forced upon religious institutions. That is not the case here. The ACLU is not going to decend upon your church after Amendment 2 fails and force your preacher to extol the virtues of same sex unions. Nothing will change within the confines of your church, you will be free to believe, whatever it is you want to believe.

Agreed. It's not like the ACLU goes after the Roman Catholic Church over how they make it very difficult to get a marriage annuled in the eyes of the Church even as every state in the country adopted no-fault divorce.

crimsonclay

Beach Comber
Mar 20, 2008
To quote my pastor, Ronnie McBrayer, who is the greatest example of Christ that I know...

" Vote Tuesday has nothing to do with Jesus."

Ummm, that statement is very wrong. No matter how you vote if you are a Christian then Jesus should have a big part on how you vote Tuesday. I am not saying you should vote one way or the other, or that Jesus expects you to vote a certain way, just that Christians include Jesus into all they do or pray for guidance in what they should do! So for that to come from a Pastor worries me.

Ummm, that statement is very wrong. No matter how you vote if you are a Christian then Jesus should have a big part on how you vote Tuesday. I am not saying you should vote one way or the other, or that Jesus expects you to vote a certain way, just that Christians include Jesus into all they do or pray for guidance in what they should do! So for that to come from a Pastor worries me.

If the Walton Sun's online edition was up-to-date, I would paste the link to Ronnie's full article entitled "Vote on Tuesday has nothing to do with Jesus."

Since it's not, I'll just tell you to pick up a copy of the Nov. 1 issues, but here are some highlights.

..."Some Christians, of variegated political leanings, will pull the lever this week thinking they are voting for Jesus because of their particular stand on issues or party affiliation. Maybe they should think again.

I believe that Christians of all stripes and shades have put far, far too much confidence in human government as the means to transform the world. Many of us vote under the assumption that if only the right man/woman could get seated in the White House, then the kingdom of God would come.

Our faith - left, right, conservative, liberal - has been taken captive by the state. Religion is used as a tool to garner votes and sanction candidates. It is used to justify all manner of policy decisions, and in the end, everyone is saluting the flag and their particular version of the Christion faith, but I don't think Jesus is very much involved.

If we were really voting for Jesus, it might mean something completely different. In an act of peaceful rebellion and Christian anarcy, it might mean we say to the state, "Christianity is not a voting block. it is allegiance to the way of Jesus. Have your elections, but we bow our knee only to Christ."

Read more in your paper.

crimsonclay

Beach Comber
Mar 20, 2008
If the Walton Sun's online edition was up-to-date, I would paste the link to Ronnie's full article entitled "Vote on Tuesday has nothing to do with Jesus."

Since it's not, I'll just tell you to pick up a copy of the Nov. 1 issues, but here are some highlights.

..."Some Christians, of variegated political leanings, will pull the lever this week thinking they are voting for Jesus because of their particular stand on issues or party affiliation. Maybe they should think again.

I believe that Christians of all stripes and shades have put far, far too much confidence in human government as the means to transform the world. Many of us vote under the assumption that if only the right man/woman could get seated in the White House, then the kingdom of God would come.

Our faith - left, right, conservative, liberal - has been taken captive by the state. Religion is used as a tool to garner votes and sanction candidates. It is used to justify all manner of policy decisions, and in the end, everyone is saluting the flag and their particular version of the Christion faith, but I don't think Jesus is very much involved.

If we were really voting for Jesus, it might mean something completely different. In an act of peaceful rebellion and Christian anarcy, it might mean we say to the state, "Christianity is not a voting block. it is allegiance to the way of Jesus. Have your elections, but we bow our knee only to Christ."

Read more in your paper.

I agree that more information on that quote did help the statement. I wasn't at all saying that Jesus expected you or anyone else to vote a specific way. We have free will and Jesus allows us to make our own decisions. I was just saying that asking for guidance and direction is what many Christians do and so in fact voting would be a big part of elections. Not that any specific Amendment or race should be Christian or not Christian. Thanks for the larger excerpt.

swampfox

Beach Lover
Sep 22, 2008
even the church is voting No on 2

So you are saying Jesus is all for same sex marriage even though he speaks only of marriage between a Man and Woman and as it being a HOLY union? I think not. Its just as crazy as supporting abortion. I dont know about you but I know many people from many churches that attend regularly and have personal relationships with Christ who are voting YES. You can show me articles all day, it will not change what I hold true that comes right out of the Bible. You know I went to a church one time and the pastor of that church was making fun of gays on the pulpit, since he is a pastor of a large Church was he right to do so. ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!! We are called to love. If I was voting for Civil Union I would vote for it. But Instead I vote for protecting the term of marriage and I vote YES ON #2