• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
I believe there are new flood zone maps coming out soon. I wonder if the map makers take into account the problems in specific neighborhoods? Will flood insurance from the FEMA be available to residents in DW when the new maps are used or will they have to go to the more expensive pool?
How many more homes will flood in a worst case scenario Cat 4, 3, 2 direct hit on the county? How many law suits will there be from homeowners after a worst case scenario? Fix it now or pay me later?
What about property values? Seems to be more foreclosures in DW than surrounding neighborhoods.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
good questions Busta Hustle. You could start an entirely new thread regarding FEMA map updates and how the changes may affect owners in all areas.

This is the first that I've heard mention of the new maps. Do you know when the maps are to be updated, and will you keep us posted on that?

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Give it away

Why are people attacking Alan?

There is no secret agenda or vendetta here - he has even taken exception to Brannon being singled out. His goal is for our local government to be honest and for our government's promises to its citizens be honored.

Commissioner Brannon failed to recuse himself from hearings in which he had a clear conflict of interest. Another commissioner who had a potential conflict (or appearance of one) recused himself.

Who thinks that someone who is legally partnered with someone in 2 or more businesses shouldn't recuse themselves when an issue dealing with that person is bought before them?

SoWal screwed ourselves in the past election. Where was the voter turn out? I was there in the trenches and I'll tell you, turn out sucked.

I only wish Alan O was put into office. SoWal needs representation from SoWal. I also wish both Alan and Bob could have worked together to put one or the other in office. Their fighting hurt both of them and now we are stuck with this...

The issues in Okaloosa are only the tip of the Iceburg, we have our own "issues" here. People like Alan are to be commended for taking a stand and fighting for their beliefs, regardless if you agree with them or not. GET OFF the Fence, strap on a set of nuts and stand up for something! Anything!

We need to unite for the next election and ensure SoWal has EQUAL Representation. We are slowing getting screwed, it will continue until we stand up and say NO.

I have respect for anyone who takes a stand on an issue, even if I do not agree. As long as the issue has been researched and based on FACT, you have my respect.

be seeing u,

w

totally

Beach Comber
Jul 19, 2008
good questions Busta Hustle. You could start an entirely new thread regarding FEMA map updates and how the changes may affect owners in all areas.

This is the first that I've heard mention of the new maps. Do you know when the maps are to be updated, and will you keep us posted on that?

The new preliminary flood maps have already been issued by FEMA and the 3 month period to object to them has already passed and they are now in the review phase; the whole process takes about a year before the maps become effective. Most, if not all of Driftwood was already in an AE Flood Zone but some of it actually appears to have been removed from the VE Flood Zone.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Commissioner Brannon failed to recuse himself from hearings in which he had a clear conflict of interest. Another commissioner who had a potential conflict (or appearance of one) recused himself.

But does that business reach the level requiring recusal? I have always thought that Larry was actually violating the rules because of his recusal. But like the county attorney told someone tonight, it is up to the individual to do what they feel rises up to the standard of the law.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I thought he did it at the beginning. I never understood him doing it after he left their employ.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think he had recused himself up to the time when he called for the Sheriff's Deputy to get ready to restrain Mr Osborne for speaking at the public forum in the BCC meeting a while back. Regardless, Mr Osborne says that Comm. Larry Jones is now recusing himself from voting on the issue of Driftwood.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think he had recused himself up to the time when he called for the Sheriff's Deputy to get ready to restrain Mr Osborne for speaking at the public forum in the BCC meeting a while back. Regardless, Mr Osborne says that Comm. Larry Jones is now recusing himself from voting on the issue of Driftwood.

Yes he is and to what purpose? He no longer is employed with Adams Homes. He has a legal responsibility to vote, that is his job. If he had a relationship ongoing I could understand. But now, I do not.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
But does that business reach the level requiring recusal? I have always thought that Larry was actually violating the rules because of his recusal. But like the county attorney told someone tonight, it is up to the individual to do what they feel rises up to the standard of the law.
It has always been my understanding that any government official on any board can recuse him/herself for any reason and they don't necessarily have to say what it is.