Walton County National Merit Finalists/Semi-Finalists?

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Jdarg, Oct 1, 2014.

1. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Apparently most voters like this chain of command and are more than content to have a female dictater at the wheel.

Too many family connections in the system to mess it up now.

Candy for fools.

2. meggiemom

meggiemom Beach Lover

Who ultimately accepted responsibility for the druggie teacher, the appointing of an unqualified finance director and a host of other screw ups?

3. j p nettles

j p nettles Banned

Whoever the queen blamed.

4. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

John,
    The only exception I take with your post is including the adjective "female " in front of the word dictator. Her gender is not the issue. I would argue she was more "male fortitude" than a stallion put out for stud.

5. seabythegrove

seabythegrove Beach Fanatic

Could someone articulate a parent's role in educating their children?

6. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Point Taken. Poor wording on my part. Sorry.

7. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

I think every family views it differently.

For our family, it means being involved at our kids' schools - not only to help the schools, but for our kids to see that we take their education seriously and they are important enough to put in the time with them.

It also depends on the school/school system.

8. m1a1mg

m1a1mg Beach Fanatic

A parents role in educating their children should be as the prime provider. From the moment your child becomes aware of the world around them, you should start teaching them. That doesn't end when they get on the school bus.

9. j p nettles

j p nettles Banned

In our family education begins in the home and what children learn at home should supplement and enhance what children learn in the schools. It's always been important for us to support our kids' activities such as sports, band, etc. as well as to monitor children's progress. We've always felt it was important to keep a line of communication open with teachers but we don't believe parents should butt in on teachers doing their jobs.

10. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Now a days, School is more of a day care while parents work.

Kids need to learn, not be baby sat.

11. j p nettles

j p nettles Banned

Perhaps "beating a dead horse" as you put it is meant to remind folks here of mismanagement and what I see as unethical behavior of one of the darlings of Walton county politics. It appears a lot of people seem to forget about incidents like 'cocaine teacher', the financial mess caused by unqualified personnel and the fact that nobody seems to be accountable. And I haven't beat the dead horse and contributed to the conversation almost 18,000 times. Please feel free to ignore my opinions and the facts surrounding them.

12. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Um, tell me again about your attempts to make improvements in the Walton County School system?

13. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

not sure that we need to be reminded of the issues, JP. We know the problems. It's time to quit rehashing the past and work toward solutions for the future.

14. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

I have a question. How soon can the question of an elected vs. an appointed superintendent be put back on the ballot?

15. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Depends on whether you want the taxpayers to pick up the cost of a special election or pay for part of it during a regular election cycle.

16. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

OK back on topic. I am going to ask some of my high school teacher friends about the PSAT and if any emphasis/preparation is devoted to it. I will report back!

17. sunny850

sunny850 Beach Lover

Jdarg, to address your original question....I believe it is because National Merit Scholars are based on SAT scores. Most students in this county take the ACT because it is given in the schools. The nearest SAT testing center is at Northwest Florida State College. My personal children took both but I know most students in this area take the ACT. Not sure what your question was about the PSAt you referenced in your last post. Walton county high schoolers do take the PSAT. In fact it is coming up in the next couple of weeks. Hope that helps.

18. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

National Merit scholarships are based on PSAT scores, which is why they are so important. I'm concerned that they are not getting the attention they need, based on the numbers of scholarships awarded in our county.

19. j p nettles

j p nettles Banned

Four years ago, I started writing to and calling the offices of our elected representatives in the legislature urging them to sponsor legislation that would require school superintendents to be appointed/hired rather than elected in keeping with the rest of the country. I also asked that they sponsor bills that would encourage the recruitment and retention of better teachers in the state, not just Walton County. My understanding is that many states have taken legislative action that eliminated elected superintendents. I also voted yes on the referendum. How would you have me or any other parent attempt to make improvements in the school system?

20. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

R's already did that, thus you've got the FCAT. Keep voting republican, perhaps they can enhance the FCAT.