• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Even if one decided to get on the mailing list, attend every meeting, get to know the people and process.. I still have to wonder if the TDC is really open to public participation and comments? Is the goal to conduct workshops, promote awareness of its projects and encourage community participation in order to generate ideas and consensus? Somehow I doubt it. And that's okay with me.

SJ is right, if you want to be involved then you have to make the effort on your own behalf.

Still, we have ownership of this community and care greatly about its future - we all have different levels of participation, we bring unique contributions and so many different ways to help shape its future. This particular issue is an advertising campaign. From what we've seen here, it's not going to win any awards. I won't lose sleep over it.

But I will lose a couple of winks over wasting over one million dollars of taxpayer money.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
During the presentation at the BCC meeting, prior to the vote being taken by the BCC four questions should have been asked:

1. How many times did this ad firm perform rebranding of a tourist destination that did not result in negative tourist over night stay impact?

2. How much money did the county spend last year on promoting the Beaches of South Walton brand during and after the BP spill?

3. How will this past advertising investment of the brand going to be leveraged by the new brand and its associated marketing expenditures (TV commercials, print ads, etc)?

4. What is the estimated negative economic impact on the county tourism going to be during, and after, the old brand 's use is discontinued and until the new brand "soaks in".

In fact, the whole set of "statistics" presented by the ad firm should have been called into question. At a BCC meeting, it is easy to skip over such "business" details.

I would have posed these questions at the meeting, but before I knew it, the vote was being taken without any public comment on the matter being requested.

This is an example where the county commissioners are being given bad "business" information before making a decision. What I believe I observed was pure manipulation.

Just because the TDC can apply for and obtain BP money, does not mean that it has the ability to pull this "re-branding" off without negatively impacting the tourism industry.

The 8 million from BP would be better spent by promoting the local "town" brands (i.e. Rosemary, Miramar, Seagrove, San Destin, etc. etc.) versus trying to come up with a new brand for our beaches. At least our county's visitors, "would know where they are".

Unless the TDC wants to go with a different branding suggestion like:

"Come to the Walton Riviera - You will have the time of your life"

Ad Copy: Entertain yourself by watching our local TDC gamble county money away while you get a tan on our sugar white beaches. Be rest assured, nothing will entertain your more, unless you are a county tax payer.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Lets keep in mind here that the money the TDC spends comes from bed tax revenue and not the county coffers.

That said it doesn't make it not taxpayer money, but it's not actually coming from the locals, it's coming from the tourists.

As far as the slogan I can't post some of the things we came up with last night that will probably be misheard resulting in some serious embarrassment. The one thing about the slogan I've noticed is how vague it is, doesn't include anything unique about our area and can be changed to suit many different areas:

Atlanta - to each, eat a peach.

As far as THE beach, I thought that had to lie dormant for at least another year so the statute of limitations could run out.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I just read this entire thread, and then looked at the new slogan again. It is just as vague (and kinda weird) to me in meaning now as it was 10 minutes ago before I read all the explanations, etc.

Those little red unbrellas have been imprinted in my brain for years.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Lets keep in mind here that the money the TDC spends comes from bed tax revenue and not the county coffers.

That said it doesn't make it not taxpayer money, but it's not actually coming from the locals, it's coming from the tourists.

As far as the slogan I can't post some of the things we came up with last night that will probably be misheard resulting in some serious embarrassment. The one thing about the slogan I've noticed is how vague it is, doesn't include anything unique about our area and can be changed to suit many different areas:

Atlanta - to each, eat a peach.

As far as THE beach, I thought that had to lie dormant for at least another year so the statute of limitations could run out.

Sorry but I must disagree that these dollars do not come from the county coffers. All check are written on Walton County Board of County Commissioners accounts. Those funds are an integral part of the final approved BCC budget, the official audit and are subject to the same approval process as all other county departments.

BP has contributed over 8 million dollars to the TDC for advertising the area in the past 12 months.

The source of the revenue may be bed tax collections, BP dollars or other grants, but other than adhering to the restrictions imposed by state statute, or BP or a federal or state agency they are under control of the BCC once received and they and they alone are responsible for the expenditures made by the TDC and its Advisory Board.

The public has a vested interest in how these dollars are expended due to the impact on local business, sales tax revenues and gasoline sales tax revenues.

The whole idea behind the TDC's mission is to "put heads in beds".

If not expended in a prudent fashion that would deliver tourist to our area, then all those who pay property taxes in Walton County will receive an increased tax bill or decreased level of service provided, businesses will close and people will loose their jobs.

Last edited:

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic

Tourists also make decisions on whether to visit based (partially) on price, and the bed tax is chunk of that. If they decide to spend their money where the bed tax is less, that affects the locals too.

There was a recent hike in the bed tax to fund additional advertising. If this is an example of how those funds are used, I don't see much upside. Tourists pay more, rental properties experience greater price pressure, and the advertising product is questionable.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I'm kinda' thinking it looks like an ad for feminine products.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Tourists also make decisions on whether to visit based (partially) on price, and the bed tax is chunk of that. If they decide to spend their money where the bed tax is less, that affects the locals too.

There was a recent hike in the bed tax to fund additional advertising. If this is an example of how those funds are used, I don't see much upside. Tourists pay more, rental properties experience greater price pressure, and the advertising product is questionable.

..and it's always printed on the receipt, so they know what they are paying. Renting a house down here for a week can be a real shocker because after you negotiate the price you get a final bill with a real total much higher thanks to the TDC tax.

This whole TDC thing is a complete joke. It's a bunch of busy bodies looking for ways to waste money - we should toss them all out on thier bums, lower the tax and just let the area advertise itself. We don't have a shortage of business down here.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Aside from the ridiculous price tag, my question is why "rebranding" is necessary.

The area has been getting national and international press for fantastic beaches, parks, and events.

A significant percentage of our visitors are repeat visitors.

Rarely is some dumb slogan mentioned as the reason why people come here.