• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
ann watson; experienced teachers with only BA degrees can be paid less which is what Tea Party types with no children seem to think is needed. Our children deserve the best teachers we can recruit.[/QUOTE said:
I think your perception of what "Tea Party types" are, to be kind, is tremendously flawed. While the Tea Party is for limited government and less spending, it is certainly not against necessary and well supervised expenditure of tax funds.

I am of the very strong opinion, and have noted such at Tea Party meetings, that the average attendent is well informed on governmental issues at all levels of government, intelligent and well educated. The Tea Party is not a bunch of rag tag individuals, it is composed primarily of those who have been around the block once or twice and those willing to listens to facts and become educated. In simple terms, I believe your premise is horribly wrong.

"Our children deserve the best teachers we can recruit." There is no denying this but they deserve something more. They deserve the best parents possible. Parents that not only care for their education but see that they understand they are not the only human being on the planet. They need guidance and disipline. I note, with dismay, that in the course of public interaction, this is often lacking. If it is lacking there, what must home and school be like.

Now a word on the Superintendent issue. Walton County needs to work toward the Superintendent being hired instead of elected and responsible to the school board. The superintendent should serve at the pleasure of the parents, teachers and school board. Until this scenerio is brought into play, you will continue to have the situation you have now.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
So who do you recommend we vote for and why? Please be specific. One candidate did not wow me at all in the last election and there is a brand new candidate it this election that I would love to know more about- she sounds very sharp.

I have now met both candidates and have some personal experience with Carlene over the years. I think we need a write-in candidate. I attended the meeting on Wednesday and it was an education. I finally realized how screwed up our system really is.

A list of employees that the board was voting on was given to the attendees after it was realized what was happening and an audience member requested the list. The list was not on the web site prior to the meeting. I assume the board had the list already. Once employee recommendation get before the board, they are pretty much forced to approve them unless an employee has committed one of a specific list of "sins". Basically it boils down to if they aren't a criminal (I'm simplifying here.) then the board has to approve the employees that the Superintendent puts forth. It is rubber stamping her recommendations. It has become obvious to me that the school board has very little power and, for the most part, what Carlene wants, Carlene gets. I have come to the same conclusion I did many years ago when I first moved here. The Superintendent should be a hired position, not an elected one. It always seemed odd to me that the Superintendent was elected but figured that was just because it wasn't how it was done where I lived previously.

I've been hearing the theory of the ABC's of Education = Anyone But Carlene, a lot lately, but am at a loss on the alternative. I am hoping that as I learn more about each of the candidates, one stands out, but so far no one is impressing me and it makes me sad for the future of our school system. I have been hearing consistent stories about the morale across the school district and that Carlene has a very heavy hand when dealing with employees. I've witnessed the shuffle of administrators between schools that goes on every year. If a principal or other administrator doesn't work out at one school, they are sometimes left in place (sorry Paxton) or shuffled around to a different school or to the district office.

I have seen improvements in our schools through the years, but they could be incredible schools if given the right guidance and strong leadership. Unfortunately the time to qualify for the election has passed. What are our options now?

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
I think your perception of what "Tea Party types" are, to be kind, is tremendously flawed. While the Tea Party is for limited government and less spending, it is certainly not against necessary and well supervised expenditure of tax funds.

I am of the very strong opinion, and have noted such at Tea Party meetings, that the average attendent is well informed on governmental issues at all levels of government, intelligent and well educated. The Tea Party is not a bunch of rag tag individuals, it is composed primarily of those who have been around the block once or twice and those willing to listens to facts and become educated. In simple terms, I believe your premise is horribly wrong.

"Our children deserve the best teachers we can recruit." There is no denying this but they deserve something more. They deserve the best parents possible. Parents that not only care for their education but see that they understand they are not the only human being on the planet. They need guidance and disipline. I note, with dismay, that in the course of public interaction, this is often lacking. If it is lacking there, what must home and school be like.

Now a word on the Superintendent issue. Walton County needs to work toward the Superintendent being hired instead of elected and responsible to the school board. The superintendent should serve at the pleasure of the parents, teachers and school board. Until this scenerio is brought into play, you will continue to have the situation you have now.

I have nothing against the tea party. And just so you'll know, I'm posting under my real maiden name. Perhaps some of you have a problem with me because I lost a career of 30 years and I can't just accept it because we were told that 'the law doesn't require a reason' for non renewal. The school district actually hired more than 60 additional teachers after I was dismissed. There was also a collective bargaining agreement that was ignored. I was a good teacher and my childrens' performance reflects that. I'd gladly take a job at an entry level salary, but I also have it on good authority that Mrs. Anderson's policy is not to rehire non-renewed teachers. As for the election, she'll more than likely stay in her position. My family hasn't lived in Walton county for 6 generations so I'm a nobody who doesn't deserve any explanation about crappy decisions by our public servants. Oh and it might be nice if some of the more prolific voices on this site actually attended school board meetings and talked to some of the ex-teachers who will never work in Walton County Schools again. I would go to some meetings but at 9:00AM I'm sometimes working at my part time hourly job.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I am very sorry about your situation and feel it was unfairly enacted. A couple more questions. Why was your union, to which I assume you paid dues, unable to help? Also, as you had 30 years service was there no retirement?

I, admittedly, do not attend school board meetings as I leave that to active parents. I do attend BCC meetings in the South. Oh, and I do pay taxes. I feel most of those at the federal level are wasted, however.

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
WCEA is a token union. As far as I know they don't even have a website or a mailing address. When I was teaching our representative was Trisha Hutchison and she only said that the union didn't really represent you unless you were under a professional services contract (tenure). Now that tenure is gone thanks to Sen. Gaetz and some of our other illustrious members of the legislature, I suppose the union only represents members who had tenure prior to the end my fourth year of teaching. Mrs. Anderson canned me just in the nick of time. Had I been rehired I would have had tenure. How convenient.

BJackson

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2010
Blue Mountain Beach, Florida
I have a friend here in Freeport who had a similar experience. She was not renewed by her principal with no explanation. Because she was not renewed no other principal in Walton County would allow her to interview for an open teaching position. She was devastated. Her career was essentially over unless she moved from here. After a brief time working in the hospitality field, she was lucky enough to be hired for a teaching position in the Bay County School District. She was unable to get a recommendation from her previous principal but after a Walton County School Board member reviewed her personnel file, she received a glowing recommendation.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
A person's resume may look good on paper but performance says a lot more. That goes for candidates as well as business leaders. I worked for a company for more than 25 years and when I started, the CEO had a great educational background and a reputation for ruthlessness. The board of directors finally replaced him with a man who was successful in his business interests but he wasn't a college graduate. The company, under his direction and leadership experienced it's greatest period of prosperity and profitability in it's history. When he assumed the position of CEO he surrounded himself with qualified, competent people who got the job done. And he was a fair person and if he had to fire someone or replace someone he could give you a reason for doing so. I say this and I was way, way down on the totem pole.

liz coats

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
Low morale, unfair treatment of teachers, and rule by fear and intimidation. That's what I'm hearing. I'd hate to work under those conditions. "my way or the highway" isn't my cup of tea.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Low morale, unfair treatment of teachers, and rule by fear and intimidation. That's what I'm hearing. I'd hate to work under those conditions. "my way or the highway" isn't my cup of tea.
That's funny, you said tea.

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
I'd like for the candidates to have some kind of town hall meetings so the public might interact with them. I taught in the same school with Trisha Hutchison but I don't know Mrs. Ragle or Mrs. Anderson. In the four years I taught the superintendent never darkened the door of our school unless I missed seeing her. In Alabama where I taught for 27 years, the superintendent made regular visits to all the schools and always visited my class. If the public could ask the candidates questions and get a feel for them and their plans it would be helpful.