• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I agree, IT, the timing and the fact no HR person was in the room are not positive for me personally. I'm going to try to get the skinny on all the employees that were moved that day and report what both sides are willing to speak on record about. I've worked in many different areas, offices small and large and I would never agree to a meeting with a supervisor that I had clashed with without an HR person or someone I trusted to tell the truth no matter their position if and that's a big if, I had the where with all to ask for it. Sometimes, things happen so quickly, we don't make the best choices for ourselves when we are surprised by something. I'm disappointed, personally, as a tax payer, that another person was not included in this meeting if either side requested it. That's pretty much HR 101 from my experience. :sosad: And if it cost the tax payers and home owners, like myself, that this was not handled correctly, then that upsets me personally as well. :sosad: But let me add this big IF: If this is what has happened as we do not have everyone on the record that was in the room that day. It will be up to the people involved to share their sides of the story on this issue that they can by law and then the public can decide what they think about it.

I already have more bubble gum than I can chew for next week's edition, but I will cover the SB on Tuesday morning and hopefully have something on this out for the week after edition that will cover all the bases and changes that were made. Let me add that Mrs. Ragel, her supporters or just anyone disturbed by this or anything else are always welcome to voice their opinion in a letter to the editor and that would go out with next week's edition if received before Monday at 4 p.m. Letters can be mailed to Bruce@defuniakherald.com or dfsherald@gmail.com and marked, Atten: Letter to the editor.

Last edited:

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
I've attended a lot of board meetings and don't think I've ever seen the board not approve the superintendent's recommendations. I've talked to a lot of teachers and I wonder why the union has never filed a complaint against the district on behalf of it's members. If this were Dade, Broward, or some other counties, the union would have stood up for their members. The most useful thing to come out of a civil action is that a lot of people would have to give depositons and I'd love to see what some school district officials would say under oath.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
I suspect the new member, a retired principal, will be another rubber stamp. I believe she contributed to Mrs. Anderson's campaign in 2008.

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
As a former Walton County educator, I'd love to know the reason why I was non renewed in 2010. I taught for 4 years with good evaluations and excellent student performance in my first grade class. I've applied in other counties and one of the questions is: "Have you ever been fired or denied continued employment, if so why". Obviously, I've been denied continued employment. I can only guess, since the law doesn't require a reason. How do you answer a question like that?

Last edited:

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
Good question...... and it's certainly not fair. I have some questions, and your answer to my question may answer your question; (1) are you a Walton county "native" (2) (I know the answer to this - no) are you part of Andersons suck-up click (3) Isn't in commonplace here to not renew contracts for good teachers after 3 or 4 years ?

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
All of the above. I also signed Trisha Hutchison's petition when she ran in 2008 and I was told that wasn't a good idea. It really hurts to lose a career of more than 30 years and not be given a reason. Also, my husband was very ill at the time and we thought he might not live and to suddenly lose a job and health insurance was a real blow. When I applied for unemployment, I was initially denied because the school district reported to them that I might be rehired. They had no intention of rehiring me. Forgive me if I sound bitter.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
Miss Watson, I am very sorry for what you have gone through. Why do you think Trisha has not had any consequences for running against Mrs. Anderson or has something happened with her I am not aware of?

Ms. Hutchison probably has tenure. I understand that it's very difficult to get rid of teachers who have tenure. Mrs. Ragle is probably under a different contract. I think the new education law did away with tenure for all teachers who didn't already have it.