• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachbums77

Beach Comber
Jun 21, 2012
Good Questions and here is what I’ve been able to discover :
Ragle, like other administrators, work on an annualcontract. The superintendent can renewor deny that contract yearly. Under thisset up no principal or coordinator would ever disagree with Ms. Anderson if they wanted to work the nextyear. Hutchison is a “tenured” teacherand works under a professional contract. It is much easier to get rid of teachers on professional contract withthe new evaluation system but it will still take a few years. Therefore Hutchison may not be as protectedfrom retaliation as she was four years ago. I guess she’ll know when she gets her evaluation.
The mention of an HR Dept. made my contact laugh. The HR Dept. is called Personnel Director andis a teacher that became a principal with no HR training. In many ways like the Finance Director thatonly has a high school education. Bothof these people make around $90,000 a year. A teacher with a master’s degree and 30 years experience might make$60,000 but extremely unlikely since teachers have not had a step increase inabout 5 years. Wouldn’t a schooldistrict want a CPA or something to manage the millions of dollars? It doesn’t seem to matter your qualificationsjust your willingness to do what you are told and consequences be damned,
My contact also said the superintendent and her pawn, KayDailey, can say they are reorganizing the responsibilities of all thecoordinators at the district office because of an upcoming retirement of one ofthe coordinators but no one that works there believes it. And, they might have moved a couple ofcoordinators around to other offices BUT no other coordinator was met Wednesdaymorning by three men demanding his or her keys, having the locks changed on their office doors and denying them access. All the teachers I know say that the superintendentwon’t fire Ragle right now because that would definitely be seen as retaliationand give Ragle cause to sue the district. The superintendent will just put Ragle in a position that will humiliateher the most and then not renew her contract at the end of school year.
And, you’re not goingto believe this but I’ve heard it from more than one person now, Kay Daileystood up in her church last Sunday, cried, and asked everyone to please votefor Ms. Anderson because if Ms. Anderson didn’t win she would lose herjob. Really? Really?
Dear Ann, all the teachers I talk to say you, like manyother teachers at the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] year annual contract position that year, werenot renewed because if you had been the district would have had to put you on aprofessional contract and Anderson didn’t want any more teachers onprofessional contract.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
I'm wondering what the district has a personnel director for anyway. I went to a Tea Party meeting back when the half mil tax referendum was up for a vote and I tape recorded Mrs. Anderson's address. In the meeting she took questions and I asked why former teachers were dismissed and not rehired. She said that the principals decide who is dismissed and who is hired and she has nothing to do with it. I have it on tape and I can prove that she said it. Well, if that's the case, what does an HR director do? I submit to you that she was lying.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Sometimes, in my experience, HR directors or staff members deal with health care, absences, vacation time, sick leave and such where paper work is concerned. When I worked for a private- non-profit many moons ago, if you had any of those items, you took it to HR. Supervisors also would go to HR when they had questions about hiring or dismissals and such. A supervisor or other staff member might sit in a meeting with you and another employee if you had issues, but when it came down to the legalities, it all had to go through HR.

Last edited:

liz coats

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
After reading most of the posts here and in speaking with teachers, am I to understand that the school system can fire teachers for no reason at the whim of a principal or anyone else in the system? Isn't that a formula for discrimination? It seems to me that a state law that allows such a thing would be in violation of Federal law. Incredible!!!!

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Florida is a fire at will state. But, I believe and others will know more about this than me, most teachers as long as they abide by their contract serve the length of their contract. Instead of being fired, I believe they call it not having your contract renewed in the new school year.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Since the taxpayers and citizens of Walton County are theoretically "the boss" of Anderson and other elected officials, perhaps we the citizens (and taxpayers) need to do our evaluation of Carlene Anderson in the form of a petition, citing all the facts presented here. The petition could be presented to the board demanding her resignation. Of course such a petition would only be symbolic, but perhaps it would bring some facts to the attention of the public. It might make for a good story in the media.