• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
All the posts since the election are interesting. The nutshell of the situation is that Mrs. Anderson's "aggressive management style" and tendency for retribution against opponents were well-known prior to the election. Even with this information in the public discussion, she won with 65 percent of the vote.
What message did it send her? "Keep up the 'good' work".
What message did it send students? Drive to Niceville, find a private school or make peace with the idea of cleaning wealthy tourists' houses or carrying their beach chairs.
What message does it send to teachers and principals? Do more with less resources and pay, and if you do not like it, we can always hire an inexperienced person to take your place (we don't care if they do a good job, as long as they don't question anything).

Based upon the election results, as the electorate, many do not care whether our children get a good education; our teachers are treated fairly; or our elected officials are held accountable.

A petition to oust her? People that is what an ELECTION is supposed to do. The voters failed. Fire yourselves.

Daydream Believer

Beach Comber
Aug 4, 2012
So, is anyone going to attend the School Board meeting tomorrow morning at 9am? Unfortunately, I am not able to attend because the meetings are held at the most inconvenient time possible. I am just wondering if anyone might ask Carlene why she decided to make so many changes the day after the election and treat Mrs. Ragle the way she did. It’s time to hold her accountable. No wonder this county has such a problem with bullying; it is modeled for students straight from the top.

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
I have a some questions for Walton county teachers and support employees.
1. Why is your union so weak and powerless ?
2. Do you elect your local president ?
3. From what I've seen and heard your union does not stand up for you, why do you keep paying membership dues ?
4. Do you get any benefit for being a member ?
5. Do you have a no strike clause in your current contract ?
I'm not trying to go anywhere with this, just trying to understand what's wrong with your union and their lack of support for it's members.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Agenda for tomorrow's meeting-

INVOCATION – F. LEDDON
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
AGENDA
A REGULAR MEETING
SCHOOL BOARD OF WALTON COUNTY, FLORIDA
Tivoli Administrative Complex, 145 Park Street, Suite 3, DeFuniak Springs, FL 32435
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
9:00 A.M.
Opening Agenda Items
1 - OPENING ITEMS -
1.01 - Announcements
Presentation of AdvancED District Accreditation Plaque (D. Jeselnik)
1.02 - Approval of Agenda
Approval of Agenda for November 13, 2012 (C. Anderson)
1.03 - Adoption of Minutes
a. Approval of Minutes from October 9, 2012 Regular Meeting (C. Anderson)
b. Approval of Minutes from October 22, 2012 Special Meeting (C. Anderson)
c. Approval of Minutes from Closed Hearing Expulsion Minutes for #1213-13 (C. Anderson)
d. Approval of Minutes from Closed Hearing Expulsion Minutes for #1213-20 (C. Anderson)
e. Approval of Minutes from Closed Hearing Expulsion Minutes for #1213-08 (C. Anderson)
1.04 - Public Comments
NOTE: Any person addressing the board is reminded that the name of the student, other the children of the person
addressing the Board, should not be mentioned or disclosed in the person's comments.
Consent Agenda Items
1 - OPENING ITEMS -
1.05 - Approval of Consent Agenda Items
5 - AGREEMENTS / CONTRACTS -
5.01 - Agreements / Contracts
a. Approval of Contract Between the School Board of Walton County, Florida and Adele Armitage of South
Walton High School (D. Preast)
b. Approval of Contract Between the School Board of Walton County, Florida and Michael Craig of South Walton
High School (D. Preast)
c. Approval of Contracted Service Agreement Between The School Board of Walton County and Sandra Ganas,
Speech Language Pathologist (R. Ragle)
d. Approval of Contract with The College Board to Designate High Schools as SAT Testing Sites and to
Administer School Day SAT (D. Jeselnik)
8 - FINANCE -
8.01 - Executive Financial Summaries
Approval of Monthly Financial Report September 2012 (M. Hobbs)
8.04 - Budget Amendments
Approval of Budget Amendments (M. Hobbs)
8.05 - Purchasing
Approval of Purchasing Exceeding $25,000.00 (M. Hobbs)
8.13 - Financial Audits
a. Approval of Charter School Financial Audits for Fiscal Year Ending June 30, 2012 for Walton Academy
(M. Hobbs)
b. Approval of Charter School Financial Audits for Fiscal Year Ending June 30, 2012 for Walton Academy
Learning Center (M. Hobbs)
c. Approval of Charter School Financial Audits for Fiscal Year Ending June 30, 2012 for Seaside School
(M. Hobbs)
10 - INSTRUCTION / CURRICULUM -
10.07 - District Advisory Council
Approval of Composition of the 2012-2013 District Advisory Council (D. Jeselnik)
Agenda 11/13/2012
Page 2
15 - TRANSPORTATION -
15.01 - Trip (Bus/Van) Requests
a. Approval of Freeport High School Students to Travel to Andalusia, Alabama on November 27, 2012 to Tour
the Gas Steam Turbine and Hydropower Facilities at the Central Generation Facility of PowerSouth (J. Hicks)
b. Approval of Freeport High School Boys and Girls Soccer Schedule for the 2012-2013 SY (J. Hicks)
c. Approval of Freeport High School Baseball Schedule for the 2012-2013 SY (J. Hicks)
d. Approval of South Walton High School Cheerleading Squad to Travel to Jacksonville, Florida and Kissimmee,
Florida on January 4-5, 2013 to attend the FHSAA Regional Competition and to Kissimmee, FL, on February 1-
2, 2013, for the State Championship Competition (J. Hicks)
e. Approval of South Walton High School Boys Basketball Schedule for the 2012-2013 SY (J. Hicks)
f. Approval of South Walton High School girls Basketball Schedule for the 2012-2013 SY (J. Hicks)
g. Approval of South Walton High School Varsity Boys and Girls Soccer Schedule for the 2012-2013 SY (J. Hicks)
h. Approval of South Walton High School Wrestling Schedule for the 2012-2013 SY (J. Hicks)
i. Approval of Walton High School Boys Soccer Schedule for the 2012-2013 SY (J. Hicks)
17 - PROPERTY -
17.01 - Disposition of Property
Approval of Property Disposition (T. Blackshear)
19 - FACILITIES / CONSTRUCTION -
19.07 - Construction Change Orders
a. Approval of Emerald Coast Middle School Eight classroom Addition - Change Order #3 for $15,796.06 (M.
Gardner)
b. Approval of Emerald Coast Middle School - Eight (8) Classroom Addition Change Order #5 to Elkins
Constructors (M. Gardner)
19.09 - Final Acceptance/Payment on Project
a. Approval of Final Payment to Elkins Constructors for Emerald Coast Middle School Classroom Addition Project
(M. Gardner)
b. Approval of Final Payment to R.D. Ward Construction Co., Inc. for West DeFuniak Elementary School
Renovations (M. Gardner)
Action Agenda Items
4 - FORUM -
4.01 - Forum: Citizens
Forum: Citizen Request (J. Jones)
9 - PERSONNEL -
9.01 - Personnel Recommendations
a. Approval of November 13, 2012 Personnel Recommendations (S. Alford)
b. Approval of November 13, 2012 Personnel Addendum (S. Alford)
25 - ADMINISTRATION -
25.35 - Student Expulsions
a. Approval of Student Expulsion #1213-21 (C. Anderson)
89 - ITEMS REMOVED FROM CONSENT AGENDA FOR INDIVIDUAL CONSIDERATION -
89.01 - Items Removed from Consent Agenda
90 - CLOSING ITEMS -
90.01 - Attorney's Report
90.02 - Board Comments
90.03 - Chairperson's Report
90.04 - Superintendent's Report
99 - ADJOURNMENT -
99.01 - Adjournment
Agenda 11/13/2012
Page 3
NOTE: If a person decides to appeal any decision made by the School Board with respect to any matter considered at such meeting or
hearing, such person will need a record of the proceedings and, for such purpose, such person may need to ensure that a
verbatim record of the proceedings is made, which record includes the testimony and evidence upon which the appeal is to be
based.
DENNIS A. WALLACE CARLENE H. ANDERSON
Chairperson of the Board Secretary to the Board

You can see the board packet here: http://www.walton.k12.fl.us/board/minutes/copy of Default.aspx

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
Isn't it nice for the elected Superentendent and School board to have the meetings when the majority of people are working. I guess it keeps the complaints to a minimum at the meetings. Not that they care about what the parents or teachers think.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Good Questions and here is what I’ve been able to discover :
Ragle, like other administrators, work on an annualcontract. The superintendent can renewor deny that contract yearly. Under thisset up no principal or coordinator would ever disagree with Ms. Anderson if they wanted to work the nextyear. Hutchison is a “tenured” teacherand works under a professional contract. It is much easier to get rid of teachers on professional contract withthe new evaluation system but it will still take a few years. Therefore Hutchison may not be as protectedfrom retaliation as she was four years ago. I guess she’ll know when she gets her evaluation.
The mention of an HR Dept. made my contact laugh. The HR Dept. is called Personnel Director andis a teacher that became a principal with no HR training. In many ways like the Finance Director thatonly has a high school education. Bothof these people make around $90,000 a year. A teacher with a master’s degree and 30 years experience might make$60,000 but extremely unlikely since teachers have not had a step increase inabout 5 years. Wouldn’t a schooldistrict want a CPA or something to manage the millions of dollars? It doesn’t seem to matter your qualificationsjust your willingness to do what you are told and consequences be damned,
My contact also said the superintendent and her pawn, KayDailey, can say they are reorganizing the responsibilities of all thecoordinators at the district office because of an upcoming retirement of one ofthe coordinators but no one that works there believes it. And, they might have moved a couple ofcoordinators around to other offices BUT no other coordinator was met Wednesdaymorning by three men demanding his or her keys, having the locks changed on their office doors and denying them access. All the teachers I know say that the superintendentwon’t fire Ragle right now because that would definitely be seen as retaliationand give Ragle cause to sue the district. The superintendent will just put Ragle in a position that will humiliateher the most and then not renew her contract at the end of school year.
And, you’re not goingto believe this but I’ve heard it from more than one person now, Kay Daileystood up in her church last Sunday, cried, and asked everyone to please votefor Ms. Anderson because if Ms. Anderson didn’t win she would lose herjob. Really? Really?
Dear Ann, all the teachers I talk to say you, like manyother teachers at the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] year annual contract position that year, werenot renewed because if you had been the district would have had to put you on aprofessional contract and Anderson didn’t want any more teachers onprofessional contract.

I'd like to know exactly what Kay Dailey does and what her qualifications are. Also at one of the meetings, Mrs. Anderson's "energy guru" spoke and boasted about how much the district was saving in utility expense. What exactly are her qualifications? I'd also like to see a detailed breakdown of how much the school district's personnel costs are for administration and instructional compared with other counties. I dare not ask the district for this information since the last time I asked for information that is supposed to be public record I had to file a complaint with the governors office. That's when I got the info.

tigers

Beach Crab
Nov 13, 2012
First of all I was told about this sight by someone in the school system. I myself use to be a teacher in this system. I had aspirations of coming back to my home town after being educated and working with the people I grew up around. Mrs. Anderson was even one of my teachers growing up and went to my church. I know every person in the Central Office andall the principals, admin, etc. and held them in the highest esteem. I am a native of Walton Co. and my father helped build DeFuniak and the county into whatit is now. I have watched from a distance the corruptness overwhelm the school district. And I want all of you to know that many of her cronies were not always the ugly people they have become. I still have property in Walton Co. so I am concerned and one day may come back to retire at my folks beach house in Santa Rosa. I want to let others know that there is a better way. I am in such a system. Our board is appointed and Superintendant is hired. Decisions are based on the best interest of the children. Now I would be lying if I said politics were not played but not to the extent that I have to worry about my job or my reputation. I now reside elsewhere because of Mrs. Anderson and (as I heard after leaving) her beloved sorority sisters and the yes men. I know, first hand, how ruthless she can be. And the thing that most people from North (D) of the bay do not understand, is the people from South Walton are a diverse group of people who have been other places (R) and seen what it is like elsewhere. (Not everyone but most) This is where the problem begins. Most everyone that holds the top positions in the school system have large (voting) families. Or are either married to others that have families,etc.... I did not see this when I lived there, they were my friends, blind and naieve as I was. Many still are.

Mrs. Anderson did this to Mrs. Ragle I have no doubt! She did very much the same thing to me. She just used one of her puppets to do it. When confronted she lied and smiled even though others around her were telling me what she said to them about me. And that in is how she works. Her (yes) person degraded my family and spoke about my parents and how I would never move up in this system because of who I was. My Father or mother musthave done something to her, many just called it jealousy. I don't really care. At that time, Mrs. Anderson, you turned my world upside down. Fortunately for me, not so much some of the others, I chose to leave rather than fight eventhough my parents wanted me to stay. I knew she was going to make my life anightmare. It was a choice I made and for years I hated the ground you walkedon. After my father’s death I don't want that anymore. I cannot become theperson God wants me to be hating you. Since I have been away we stay in touch with many still there. I read all the time about the county I grew up in. Politics in Walton Co is like no other place I have ever been before. For the voters of Walton Co. there are better alternatives. Every time I come home people ask me when I am returning and would I run against Carlene. Our paths will never cross again Mrs. Anderson but I pray for you and that God will not let you hurt others the way you hurt my family. I want to show you how wrong you were. I am thriving in another school system, my daughter up for MISS Alabama, and oldest boy following in father’s footsteps by playing collegebaseball. The other son loves hunting and football. We have all become successful and my wife has been named teacher of the year. Me, I am continuing up the ladder on a fair playing field. And doing rather well. I hate the time you took away from my children, seeing their grandparents and wish that the people of Walton County would do away with D and R on the ticket and vote for the person. My friends will send me a message on face book, most of them teachers, saying how nice it must be to not worry about my job. I feel so sorry for them. Many of them are truly scared to say anything. I will have to give you this. You are a very shrewd politician. Somehow though Mrs. Anderson, I don't think that is what God had in mind when he wrote the good book. Maybe in 4 more years.

Tiger

Last edited:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
All public unions in Florida are effectively no strike because participating in a labor strike is one of the ways you can lose your public pension benefits, even if you're long ago vested.