• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I think payroll costs shouldn't be on the top of the list when cutting business costs. Need to analyze the other expenses eating up profits. The wages paid in service related industry is great for part timers, school age workers, etc, not for principal wage earners for the family. We need jobs where those primary wage earners can earn enough to support their family. Freeport seems to be trying to do this, and is commendable. Our workforce has the same intellect and potential as anyone else, it just needs to be encouraged in the direction of whatever the job might be. Creativity is essential. We need to create a product we can market to the world exclusively made in our area, not related to tourism. Our state and nation is in trouble, now it is even more important to put our minds together and get something going! We have to have another industry!

Once again you assume the waiters and waitresses are doing jobs they don't really want to. I have many friends that do this as a full time job and enjoy what they do. They also make a very good living at it.

It was stated that one major problem with exporting goods from SoWal was transportation. If we could utilize the intercoastal... we used to have a ferry across it until one person brought a lawsuit... as I remember anyway. If we had some kind of port ie "Point Washington" to load ships... Certainly we could come up with some kind of product!

I'm fairly certain that most residents in Point Washington would be against a port in their back yard.

Good! Then a port should be able to be built without incredible obstacles?

Let's see you've got the DEP issues in building a port they'll deny it until doomsday because of Port Panama City and Port St. Joe. In addition those two ports I listed will lobby against it.

Daugette_Matt

Beach Lover
Jan 12, 2009
Yes ,I agree it is not the commissioners job to stimulate the economy.
BUT, it is the commissioners job to make the county work. For most of us full time residents without an investment portfolio, or a job in another state, we are broke 50% of the time. Families do not move to Walton county. People buy second homes in Walton county. If your line of work directly supports the care and upkeep of these ssecond homes, then you may be doing ok.

It is the commisioners job to utilize what we have. And what do we have, lots of land, lots of under-employed people and 4 MAJOR way to get goods in and out. The intercoastal, I10, trains, and the much delayed new airport nearby. This is not a new problem. Our county has been supported by vistors for many years. But with the across the board decrease in "expendible moneys" there will be less and less money coming here, and ther is NO plan to deal with the inevitable.

Again, it is the commissioners job to make the most of the resources we have. For years our county has done well with exploiting the the natural beauty of our area by mean of terrorism, sorry tourism. That is clearly not enough anymore. Changes are needed in how our county works.

We need to attract some real employers to our county. If you disagree with that..........you really do not know what is like to try to find work here and bring up your kids.

By the way I am involved with county gov't..............I pay my taxes and I vote.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
BUT, it is the commissioners job to make the county work. For most of us full time residents without an investment portfolio, or a job in another state, we are broke 50% of the time. Families do not move to Walton county. People buy second homes in Walton county. If your line of work directly supports the care and upkeep of these second homes, then you may be doing ok.

Plenty of people & families move here to live and work here full time. Yes, the main employers are tourism and the military, so if you want a different type of job, create one instead of biatching about one of the major sources of income to this area.

If you felt all you needed to do was 'vote and pay taxes' (and let the magic gnomes plan for the future) you are part of the problem until you start offering solutions. Vacant land, an interstate, an airport that hasn't been built yet, and whining will not draw new industry or jobs.

Daugette_Matt

Beach Lover
Jan 12, 2009
I don't consider my self to be a whiner. I have created jobs (only 2 though). I am not part of the problem.
This is not a New problem created by our current economic situation. You are right, whining will not draw new jobs. Sound leadership will though, and a commitment to bring some type of sustainable industry. Not just tourism. Have you looked at the area want ads lately, it doesn't take long to do. No family is moving here for a brighter future, unless they came from Mexico, and most of those filks have moved on..because there are no jobs. We do need jobs, and we need our local gov't to create more jobs then just better waitressing jobs.
Wake up dude.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
daughette Matt, did you read the incentives being given to businesses, which I posted earlier in this thread? That is huge. Short of decreasing corporate taxes, can you list some things that you think the County Commissioners should do to bring businesses to our area? Very few places in the country see high-paying jobs coming in. Occasionally, there will be an auto manufacturer open a plant, but it seems that just as many have closed recently. One thing that major industry looks for is human resources. Currently, Walton County has the lowest unemployment in the state, something like 5%(about 1300 people wanting jobs that don't have them), compared to state-wide of 7+%. Big industry wants to open in areas where finding employees is not a problem, eg- places where unemployment is high.

I'd seriously like to read what specific things you think gov't should do.

Also, I agree with scooterbug that paying taxes and voting is not equivalent to being actively involved with gov't. There are plenty of people who do that, who have never attending one local gov't meeting. I would bet a Guinness that they cannot name our County Commissioners and County Interim Attorney, without cheating. Get involved if you really want to care.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I don't consider my self to be a whiner. I have created jobs (only 2 though). I am not part of the problem.
This is not a New problem created by our current economic situation. You are right, whining will not draw new jobs. Sound leadership will though, and a commitment to bring some type of sustainable industry. Not just tourism. Have you looked at the area want ads lately, it doesn't take long to do. No family is moving here for a brighter future, unless they came from Mexico, and most of those filks have moved on..because there are no jobs. We do need jobs, and we need our local gov't to create more jobs then just better waitressing jobs.
Wake up dude.

This is a chicken or egg thing. Major industry wants a workforce. WC has the lowest unemployment rate in the State. Or at least in the bottom five.

Freeport is a port but has needed dredging for quite a few years. I understand the shipbuilder is limited to what they can build because of this. Another problem with permits and what to do with the spoils.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
. Currently, Walton County has the lowest unemployment in the state, something like 5%(about 1300 people wanting jobs that don't have them), compared to state-wide of 7+%. Big industry wants to open in areas where finding employees is not a problem, eg- places where unemployment is high.

And during the RE boom half of those still could not find a job.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
BUT, it is the commissioners job to make the county work. For most of us full time residents without an investment portfolio, or a job in another state, we are broke 50% of the time. Families do not move to Walton county. People buy second homes in Walton county. If your line of work directly supports the care and upkeep of these ssecond homes, then you may be doing ok.

It is the commisioners job to utilize what we have. And what do we have, lots of land, lots of under-employed people and 4 MAJOR way to get goods in and out. The intercoastal, I10, trains, and the much delayed new airport nearby. This is not a new problem. Our county has been supported by vistors for many years. But with the across the board decrease in "expendible moneys" there will be less and less money coming here, and ther is NO plan to deal with the inevitable.

Again, it is the commissioners job to make the most of the resources we have. For years our county has done well with exploiting the the natural beauty of our area by mean of terrorism, sorry tourism. That is clearly not enough anymore. Changes are needed in how our county works.

We need to attract some real employers to our county. If you disagree with that..........you really do not know what is like to try to find work here and bring up your kids.

By the way I am involved with county gov't..............I pay my taxes and I vote.

It's actually ahead of schedule.