• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
I love this area because thirty nine years ago I spent my honeymoon here. Twelve years later my husband carried our daughter on his shoulders down these very beaches. Now next summer he hopes to do the same with our grandson (Samuel)I read somewhere that the sound of the surf is secrets being whispered to us..but I know it's our creater shouting His Creation..some stop and listen...others just miss it..

How sweet that you have so many fine memories. :love:

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
I love the salt air and scent of pine trees all mixed together!

My dh and I were saying that yesterday when we were at Pt Wash. Coming from hundreds of acres of pines I can tell you that the pines are a huge plus around here!

ISN'T TODAY GORGEOUS!!!

Going to snorkel jetties tomorrow at high tide and take advantage of this fine weather!

G

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
Well I'm still going through the Litmus Test to become a 'local' :D, but I wanted to comment about hairstyles anyway.
I've always had long hair with a slight wave in it and could style it up into a sleek do, make it straight as a pin, or curl it all over with a curling iron, whatever I wanted, any day.

But something happened when I moved here. I'm an out of control curly haired girl now! I could spend hours trying to get this thing straight with expensive gels and flat irons. I walk outside for two minutes and its like magic- POOF - I'm curly big haired chill girl. (In my 20's I used to pay big bucks for this "Spiral Perm" look). Its the humid salt air I believe. So I've put away all my useless hair devices and I'm officially a "to the wind" girl, with healthier hair and more time to spare (read:Sowal time). I'm suspecting I'm not alone, but when I see shiny straight perfect hair I'm so tempted to ask how on earth they did that!

I can identify with your post, and hair. I too have naturally curly hair. You wouldn't think it when it is blow dried, and with certain cuts (like all one length) - but it is. In the 80's when everyone had perms I just let mine go and it was great. When we vacationed here I noticed I let mine "go" and now I've decided (at least during humid summer months) to let mine "go" as much as possible. It isn't long any more and sometimes I feel like it looks like Ethel Mertz :roll: but it sure is easy and my dh loves it curly.

Great post chill - I bet your hair is beautiful!!

G

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
Have you met any sowallers from sowal.com? :wave:

For me, getting dressed up in sowal is a shower and moisturizer.

Sounds like you are pretty low maintenance :D Very freeing!!!

Yes, I have met arkiehawg as his wife - my dh and I are going to be their neighbors! I also have emailed with a few sowallers and have facebooked/myspaced with a few.

I know a wonderful couple here - they don't frequent the forum - and they are super people!

I hope to meet more at the potluck Wed at Seaside! :wave:

G

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
It depends on the local and the exact location - in general people tend to be more casual, (especially at the actual beach) but you will definitely see some women decked out in full-out hair and makeup and very dressed up at restaurants/events.

Ha- not me!! I noticed the other day that I have almost worn through the soles on my Havaina flips- they have lasted 2+ years. They are my casual AND my dress shoes.:rotfl:

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
It depends on the local and the exact location - in general people tend to be more casual, (especially at the actual beach) but you will definitely see some women decked out in full-out hair and makeup and very dressed up at restaurants/events.

Good Heavens, had a GF come visit several years in a row and she always had to go in at 4 to get clean and decked, ready to go out by 6 with perfect hair and she hated the wind messing her up after dark. :blink: This just did not fit with my schedule at all...........she needs to live a little. ;-) Bless her heart!

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
living a little, this may sound so red, but we went to the obx for a day a couple of weekends ago. i wore a t-shirt, shorts. we did the tourist thing, that morning. after lunch, we went to the pier, i changed into my swimsuit in the bathroom there.:eek: (it was clean, but still) went to the beach spent a couple of hours, went back into the pier store's bathroom again, took a granny bath, put my hair in a bun, pinched my cheeks, put on some lips, put on a skirt and we went to dinner. :yikes:

:dunno: Sounds like a great day! ... how much we would miss in life by going home to change at every turn.

what's red??:rotfl:

it's the disappearing aggieb post again.:roll:

Last edited:

aggieb

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2007
ibx
:dunno: Sounds like a great day! ... how much we would miss in life by going home to change at every turn.

what's red??:rotfl:
:wave: it was a funn day! never thought i'd get ready in a pier bathroom, but it worked out fine.

redneck.:blush:

i know, i need to stop deleting. DO has already asked me once to stop.

Last edited:

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
:wave: it was a funn day! never thought i'd get ready in a pier bathroom, but it worked out fine.

redneck.:blush:

i know, i need to stop deleting. DO has already asked me once to stop.

I kept looking and looking for the original post! I'm glad it was copied as it sounds like a perfect time!! :D

G