• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Thanks for the info on the PCB park, drunkenartist. This lack of park issue came up at a previous BCC meeting. Celeste Cobena of the Beach to Bay, stated that she didn't want to see the big parks like Frank Brown Park, in our area. She pointed out the excessive traffic and numbers of people associated with having such a park. They would rather see this area kept more natural, and for people to seek out different sources of activity through our existing resources such as the miles of hiking and biking trails, beach, beautiful lakes, Bay and rivers. I think she makes some good points. She also pointed out the existing facilities at the high school which go unused for most of the time, which could be used for the public -- after all, our tax money pays for those facilities. Again, this is another valid point. I am a proponet of having some place of activity where we can meet as a community, such as a park, or even the schools. Personally, I think in the long term, we could save money on health care if we were fit. Making fitness fun and community oriented is one way of doing so. If a YMCA or Boys and Girls Club type of facility was integrated with the area public schools, not only would the kids have a place to hang out after school in a good environment, but they would also having more activities available for school sports. Also in my idea, the public would have access to these facilities, except for the courts, fields, or pool had practice or games. To me it is a no-brainer. Why have multiple facilities when we could spend less money and have more facilities?

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Thanks for the info on the PCB park, drunkenartist. This lack of park issue came up at a previous BCC meeting. Celeste Cobena of the Beach to Bay, stated that she didn't want to see the big parks like Frank Brown Park, in our area. She pointed out the excessive traffic and numbers of people associated with having such a park. They would rather see this area kept more natural, and for people to seek out different sources of activity through our existing resources such as the miles of hiking and biking trails, beach, beautiful lakes, Bay and rivers. I think she makes some good points. She also pointed out the existing facilities at the high school which go unused for most of the time, which could be used for the public -- after all, our tax money pays for those facilities. Again, this is another valid point. I am a proponet of having some place of activity where we can meet as a community, such as a park, or even the schools. Personally, I think in the long term, we could save money on health care if we were fit. Making fitness fun and community oriented is one way of doing so. If a YMCA or Boys and Girls Club type of facility was integrated with the area public schools, not only would the kids have a place to hang out after school in a good environment, but they would also having more activities available for school sports. Also in my idea, the public would have access to these facilities, except for the courts, fields, or pool had practice or games. To me it is a no-brainer. Why have multiple facilities when we could spend less money and have more facilities?

I agree with you SJ, except that the public school grounds are very poorly maintained. Behind Butler, where the new pavillion is, it is overgrown with weeds, etc. Also, there are no restroom facilities or drinking fountains that are accessible to the general public. F.Y.I., there are plans to build a horrid steel warehouse behind Bay which will serve as the "gym." Parents are very against this and would like a real gym in a permanant building. Only a concrete floor is included (parents have to raise money for a softer floor as well as HVAC). I think this facility will be placed in the the field where you play kickball so say goodbye to that ball field. Also, there will be new playground equipment at Bay, paid for by fundraisers and parents--no county or school funds were provided. My point is that I think most people are willing to use the school facilities for our "parks," but the school district has not been overly accomodating to this idea. We've had a difficult enough time getting them to "allow" us to have the basics and then we have to also pay for them ourselves.

Celeste Cobena has every right to express her opinions, but I do not share her views. We don't need a recreation facility on the scale of Frank Brown Park, unless we want to attract national tournaments like PCB does, but it would be wonderful to have our own community park and playground.

supermom262

Beach Fanatic
Nov 5, 2006
Grayton Beach
Camp Creek Kid: I totally agree with you. I wish we didn't have to start from scratch in everything. Maybe it's not everything, but at times it feels like it.
There are so many wonderful ideas on this thread. It would be great if anything comes of it.
Parks continue to be in demand in South Walton. I agree with your statement about the size of a park here. It doesn't have to be a huge undertaking the size of Frank Brown. With all the award winning landscape architects we have designing the numerous developments here, it seems like someone could design a park compatible with our natural beauty. There are so many lots for sale in this area, it seems that a great piece of land could be bought /donated for this purpose. I think a contest could even be done community wide to co-design it with that award winning landscape architect! You could even ask the elementary, middle and high school students what they would like to see there. Let them take ownership. PARKS FOR SOWAL!

danhall

Beach Lover
Jul 14, 2006
danhallstudio.com
I would LOVE to have a good traditional jazz station, not like Seabreeze (no offense, just my preference). More artists like Charlie Parker, Coltrane, Mingus, Monk and Miles.

Also, a more expansive library. These are the two things I miss most about the city.