• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jcp0101

Beach Crab
Jan 25, 2010
You are not going to like my answer

I know, it's called June grass right. I get that, but last year we came down the last week in July, and it was terrible. Fishing in the surf was hopeless. I saw some reports of it lasting forever this past season, but when does it usually arrive? We are wanting to come in early June and I was really wanting to fish this year. Thanks.
Last year it lasted from June until October and it arrived today April 17th this year. I believe it has to do with what BP put in the water to clean up the oil. I hope i am wrong but I have never seen it in April before or August or september or October.

Flossie

Beach Comber
Oct 4, 2010
it arrived today April 17th this year.

You're kidding. There really is nothing predictable about this stuff, is there? I know the beaches are beautiful with or without it, as is the whole area, but I have to say it strikes terror in the heart of this visitor. What I like best about the beaches is the gorgeous clear water.

I really thought it never arrived until water temperatures were in the 80s. We lucked out last year when we missed it in late May and then in late October; this year we'll be in Seacrest starting May 15. Please, tell me this is a false alarm!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Honestly, having lived in the area 40-50 years ago, I never remember seeing or swimming in "June Grass". I do remember reading in more recent years about the proliferation of algae blooms due to run-off from area developments, especially golf courses, and the overuse of fertilizers. I just thought june grass was the algae bloom problem gone wild.

The more phosphates and nitrogen, the more algae/june grass. Literally tons of both keep washing into the gulf. Thank everyone upstream, farming, or with a beautiful lawn for the june grass.

Flossie

Beach Comber
Oct 4, 2010
Why does there seem to be so little information on this stuff, though? I just found an article stating that there's little funding for research on june grass and that everybody has to rely on anecdotal information, but you'd think some institution would be able to look into it by now. And does it mainly appear in NW Florida--and if so, why? I've never heard it mentioned in relation to, say, Gulf Shores or southern Florida, though I could be wrong.

It's not even June and the June grass is back (SLIDESHOW) | grass, island, okaloosa - TheDestinLog.com

smoore21

Beach Comber
Dec 5, 2010
We arrived last year at Labor Day weekend and the "june grass" was disgusting. We were at Miramar last year and even went to Grayton and it was still bad.
I'm really hoping it's not like this when we arrive in August this year.

familyof3

Beach Lover
Mar 18, 2008
Arkansas
It was a relly bad year last year. It arrived early this year.Hopefully that means it will clear out early and not return. Anybody had a look at it lately.