• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Why does there seem to be so little information on this stuff, though? I just found an article stating that there's little funding for research on june grass and that everybody has to rely on anecdotal information, but you'd think some institution would be able to look into it by now. And does it mainly appear in NW Florida--and if so, why? I've never heard it mentioned in relation to, say, Gulf Shores or southern Florida, though I could be wrong.

It's not even June and the June grass is back (SLIDESHOW) | grass, island, okaloosa - TheDestinLog.com

It is now gone. A good rule of thumb about funding research-if it does not eat us or threaten us, the dollars are slow to arrive. Seen any stimulating study on sponges lately?

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
[/ATTACH]

not sure I attached the photos right. But here are some pictures from last Thursday, April 28th. It was so beautiful the girls couldn't wait to put on their suits. The pictures are in Seaside. We stayed about two miles west of Rosemary... clear as a bell. We had to drag the kids out of the warm water to eat and rest. :clap:

Hoping for the same in July, but it was perfect last week!

Attachments

• IMG_0450.jpg
    IMG_0450.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 2,564
  • IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 3,899

LTN

Beach Crab
May 5, 2011
June grass

Is it gone yet as of today (for Okaloosa island)? Thanks.

Last edited:

Flossie

Beach Comber
Oct 4, 2010
A good rule of thumb about funding research-if it does not eat us or threaten us, the dollars are slow to arrive. Seen any stimulating study on sponges lately?

I assumed it affected tourism and fishing, which I would think is threatening enough. Maybe I'm overestimating its effect on those industries.

familyof3

Beach Lover
Mar 18, 2008
Arkansas
We are there in 11 days. You will have to keep us posted. I know there is not a thing I can do either way. Just helps to be in the right frame of mind.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I swim regardless - last summer was a very good reminder that a little algae in the water is not the worst thing that can happen.

familyof3

Beach Lover
Mar 18, 2008
Arkansas
I can take a little but I have seen it so thick it was just gross. I can't believe I only have 9 days left and I don't have the suitcases out. How is the water looking these days?

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
I won't let a little thing like June Grass ruin my vacation. I have been there when there was none, and I have been there when it is was so thick when I took my bathing suit off I looked like the "Swamp Thing". Still had a blast! It is Mother Nature and she does her own thing. With that being said, I will see you in 37 days. :wave: