• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
beachmouse said:
There are now a couple of Mexican groceries over in Ft. Walton Beach, where I'd guess you can get ingredients you can't find at Albertson's. (which actually has a pretty good Mexican/Tex-Mex aisle) I keep meaning to hit a couple of them in search of the Mexican Coca-Cola which is allegedly still made with sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup like it is in America.

Funny you should mention this BMouse. There was an article in the WSJ about stores in the US who "illegally" ship the Coke w/sugar into the states to sell to Mexicans who wanted "the real thing." (Something about not being able to ship "foreign made products" in the USA, tarriffs, or something like that). Anyway...Coke broke down and did a test market in some Texas stores. They had the US manufacturers obtain the syrup made with cane sugar and even bottled it in the old-time 6 (or 8?) ounce glass bottles. The Coke manufactured in the USA sat on the shelves, while the illegal stuff sold out in an instant....WHY? Well the stuff made in the USA was bottled in "new" bottles, while the illegal stuff was in the old, chipped, scuffed-up, reused bottles they were used to drinking out of in Mexico. Coke USA gave up on the project in the end. They do, however, sell the Coke w/cane sugar in certain places during Jewish Passover (Passover Coke) since Coke made with corn syrup isn't "kosher."

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
Allifunn said:
only if they are HOME GROWN!!! yum yum...I wonder if SJ's maters will be ready for us to make mater sammiches out of?? think we can sweet talk him into parting with a few of them, Jdarg??? :lol: :lol:
If our tomatoes are ripe by Saturday I will bring you some home growns!! :clap_1:

Cheering472

SoWal Insider
Nov 3, 2005
jdarg said:
Unbelieveable. I am eating a BLT right now with some tomatoes from TN that are actually really good.

Somehow our conversations always come back to tomatoes. And sex, of course.:D

What exactly is tomato sex? Sounds messy.

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
Beach Runner said:
Apparently not, or people from Wisconsin for that matter. I don't know of a German restaurant in Atlanta. My husband (from WI) never misses a chance to have a good brat.
There is a German rest. by my apt (across from the heart stopping soul food rest.) that is called Leiderhosen. It's so insanely good. You can only eat there once every 6 months because it also seems to make your arteries clog. But it's soooo good. They have great fondue as well with peppermint schnapps.

Kimmifunn said:
There is a German rest. by my apt (across from the heart stopping soul food rest.) that is called Leiderhosen. It's so insanely good. You can only eat there once every 6 months because it also seems to make your arteries clog. But it's soooo good. They have great fondue as well with peppermint schnapps.
I hear ya on the artery clogging. Lots of meat, potatoes, carbs - rarely see anything green on the plate, even during asparagus season (the asparagus is yellow). On one trip to Germany I was quite tired of eating meat and potatoes, so I asked the waiter for something green. He looked puzzled, and so I asked if there were any salads on the menu. He brought me a salad - it was an octopus salad - kinda resistant to the bite - nothing green on that plate either!

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
jdarg said:
Can I have tomato on my honkie sammy?:D I will pay extra.
The "White Trash Cookbook" has a recipe for a kitchen sink tomato sandwich. Involves white bread, lots of mayo, fresh home grown maters and the sink of course. Ummmmmmmm! That used to be our daily lunch at the beach. Later we added vidalia onion.

Pepe from the Apprentice is hispanic. My Momma's white.