Where is your favorite beach location, other than Sowal?

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by BeachbumAggie, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Mango

Mango SoWal Insider

Barbados is my favorite beach aside from Sowal. The Bajan people are really nice, so if you do venture out of your hotel, you won't have much worries. There is crime like any other place, but for 1 hour more on the flight, you will have a much better time than Puerto Rico, IMHO.
    There are green monkeys, which make things interesting, and really cool excursions. They all pick you up from the hotels, so no need for a car; besides, you do not want to test your driving skills on the left side of the road on vacation. There is a 4 wheel excursion into a jungle of sorts and down to the opposite side of the island, the Atlantic side. Most people stay on the Caribbean side, near Speightstown. The snorkeling is great, the food is wonderful, decor (British Isles), etc.

I have been to Puerto Rico. I stayed at a hotel on the Caribbean side which also was on a desert which met the Caribbean, which was pretty cool because I had never seen anything like that. HOWEVER, you do not want to venture out of your hotel there, either. The roads are never finished. The people are nasty and drive like lunatics. Cows eere crossing the road at some places and no lights of any sort. We almost got shot at at a gas station who didn't want our travelers checks, cash only and I had to go to my car for cash, but they wanted me to put everything back first I was going to buy, then come back in with the cash. When I ignored them, they chased me with a gun. It is HOT as all hell in PR. There are some really cool things to see there, like the rainforest, rare light up plankton, and the observatory, but due to the above, they are hard to get to.
    if you stay in San Juan, there's lots of gambling and some old buildings, but that is it, as far as I know.

We were supposed to stay longer, but I couldn't get home fast enough and changed my flight.

2. seacrestgirl

seacrestgirl Beach Fanatic

That's what we did in Aruba.....hated it! Came home early...

3. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

I really haven't been to that many beaches but of the ones we've been to Sanibel is really cool. Very tropical and the water is pretty too. Cancun was awesome but I would like to at a Cancun beach without the high rises.

4. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

The Caymans

5. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
  6. bluecat

bluecat Beach Fanatic

It certainly isn't tropical,but the coast of Oregon is breathtaking.We were there the first of June one year,was quite chilly ,but very enjoyable.

7. BeachSiO2

BeachSiO2 Beach Fanatic

How do you get there from ATL? Delta?

8. Beach Runner

Yes. The MARTA of the skies. That being said, hubby travels so much on business that we can fly anywhere Delta goes for free in business class using mileage. I am thankful for that.

9. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

One of my fav beaches is on the Big Island of Hawaii...but with the limited amount of time you have, and the fact that you don't want to travel far--I'll second the suggestion for St Augustine (if you haven't been before)...it's close by; has lots of charming architecture; tons of history; many beaches--including Anastasia State Recreation Area, natural with no development; has a beautiful lighthouse; good food, bars, cafes with music; a sizeable premium outlet mall; lots of quirky places to visit (life-sized statue of David; and old jail; Fountain of Youth etc); and a pretty decent hop-on-hop-off trolley system to get around town. If you're going mid-week while kids are still in school, it might not be so crowded.

If you run out of things to do (I doubt it) you can also drive up the coast and check out Daytona Beach--take a drive along the beach or go to the "no drive" area of the beach and rent some bicycles and cycle along the ocean (the sand is so packed you can bike on the beach--try that in SoWal!).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  10. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

I love the coast of Maine but it may still be cool in May. MacKinac Island in northern Michigan is awesome. Sanibel near Fort Myers is great for shelling and is a charming romantic (pricy) little island.

11. BeachbumAggie

BeachbumAggie Beach Fanatic

We've been to Sanibel and I looooooved the shelling, I took an empty suitcase and brought it home full of shells!! I'll look into Barbados, I still need to look at San Diego-it's gotten lots of good press from friends of all ages and I'm also considering Anna Maria Island as we have friends that adore it.

Again, this is a great job trying to plan a beach vacation!!!

On another note, hoping to book our beach house for my girlfriends and kids trip at the end of June in Seagrove and then book a place for me and hubs the following week. I'll drive down with girls and hubs will fly down the Sat that they leave.

12. BeachbumAggie

ok so I'm leaning towards Anna Maria Island now. It's a non-stop from Dallas, continental US so I should be able to cash in credit card points or AA points for a flight or maybe both, darling cottages, been interested in the area for a while-it looks lovely. Anyone been?

13. Vitamin D

Vitamin D Beach Comber

Since we have stayed at several locations thru-out Bermuda, it depends on the style. However, the colony of 9 Beaches is absolutely the most unique; not stuffy and VERY romantic. It has individual cabins, some ON the water with see-thru floors, beautiful calm water and beaches, world class food and lots of activities.

Be sure to rent a motor scooter to get around as it is the best way to discover the islands.

14. BeachbumAggie

Bermuda looks fabulous but from what I'm finding to get a decent flight time it would be about $5500 from Dallas with airfare and hotel so that's more than I want to spend. I'm hoping to spend no more than $4000 for the entire trip since we have the 2 weeks in SoWal only 5 weeks later. I'm liking the way Anna Maria looks but am about to start looking at San Diego weather in mid-May as everyone who's been loves it!

15. hippiechick

hippiechick Beach Fanatic

The most beautiful place to visit in May is Charleston South Carolina. Perfect weather, great food and history.

16. Beach Runner

It *is* beautiful. Our godchild is getting married there in April at a church in the historic district. Can't wait!

17. Allifunn

Allifunn FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com

You have a lot of choices on this thread. I would check out Defuski Island near Hilton Head, SC, Outter Banks NC, Amelia Island and Sea Island, GA. Anna Maria Island...is that in Florida, down near St Pete? I have been there...very beautiful and fun place, and very near Sarasota, which I love. My sister-in-law loves Fernandina Beach in the upper part of the Florida east coast.

18. BeachbumAggie

Thanks Allifunn, Anna Maria is on the short list. I spent yesterday looking at Savannah, Charleston and if we do that, we'd hit an island along the ways! A friend adores Amelia Island so I'm going to read up on it later. I've read that May isn't a good weather month in San Diego. Friends leave for their 3rd trip in a row to Tulum and I'm fearful of Mexico at this time but they simply adore Tulum!

19. Beach Runner

Sea Island has a horrible beach. It eroded, so they brought in concrete and put sand on top of it. The sand is so hot that they have to use soaker hoses so that the guests' feet don't get burned. Don't get me wrong. We love The Cloister, the food, the whole all-inclusive package, the Bingo, the bands and dancing, the Nutty-Buddy man, getting dressed up in formal attire for the General Manager's party, and the luxury of it all. But the beach itself is not an asset.

We used to go there twice a year. But since our daughter got too old for the kid's camp and we discovered South Walton, we haven't been back. I'd still like to go back sometime for old time's sake and to see the renovations. But we much prefer South Walton -- better beach, beautiful water, lots of restaurant choices, and a shorter drive. We used to want to invest in property at Sea Island, but no more. We're invested financially and emotionally in South Walton now.

We also used to go to Amelia Island Plantation and/or the Ritz there twice a year. Once for the Florida/Georgia game and again for some random vacation. I like it there, but the Atlantic beaches don't compare to South Walton beaches. So we only go there when hubby has a meeting there with all expenses paid and a private jet to get us there and back.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  20. BeachbumAggie

yeah, I've been to Hilton Head Island and Daytona beaches and Atlantic beaches aren't as pretty to me but I've not been to Savannah as an adult and I don't think I've ever been to Charleston or if I did I was too young to remember-hubs had never been to the SE.

We started going to the Florida panhandle 27 years ago and we love it but I keep thinking that we need to try new places! We were on a Key West kick for a few years and loved it but we want to try something different for our anniversary trip.