Where's everybody from?

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by GraytonBound, Nov 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbuck

dbuck Beach Fanatic

Western Kentucky. We do have beautiful Kentucky Lake, but it's not the ocean. Have been vacationing in the Panhandle for 25 years. I will never forget the first time we ventured off Hwy 98 and went down 30A. Went through Seaside and came upon Blue Mt. Beach. Heaven, pure heaven on earth. You all are so lucky. INVU

2. alic65

alic65 Beach Lover

I was born in California, but raised in Southeastern Missouri, where we live now. My whole family is from this area, beautiful lakes and rivers. My hubby's family is from a small town between Jefferson City, Mo. and Columbia Mo.

3. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Did I tell you my son is in Columbia....soph at MIZZOU!!!

4. alic65

alic65 Beach Lover

I've seen you post about your son at Mizzou, great school.

5. lollygal

lollygal Beach Fanatic

I was born in Texas (Liberty and Beaumont), lived there for 8 years, then moved to Louisiana (Lafayette and Alexandria), then on to Montgomery, AL and finally rested in Chattanooga. (No, my dad was not in the service -- he worked for Amoco Oil in the butane/wholesale division).

6. njackie

njackie Beach Lover

We are from Missouri, we graduated from MU as did our children. We bought one tiny condo in Seagrove many years ago and one larger about five years ago for all those grandchildren! Seagrove is where our hearts always are even though we are only there in June, October (dreaded month) and December/January!

7. Bob

Bob SoWal Insider

Born in D.C., moved to Florida at 6 months. Parents born and raised in the District after families moved from Virginia farmlands during Depression. Wife born in Chattanooga, parents born/raised in Atlanta. First saw 30A[1998] thought "lived in FL. all my life and never knew the best beaches were here". Wife/myself dislike Orlando and will soon move north to go South. Own dirt in SoWal, may build, but, like SJ said, the area lacks a central community feel.

8. Hollibird

Hollibird Beach Lover

Born and raised in Baltimore, MD. Moved to St Pete about 6 years ago. Loved Tierra Verde as a neighborhood, but as soon as you get into south St.Pete...keep your doors locked. Grayton bound, the schools are horrific, at least they were when I lived there for 2 years. some South St. Pete kids made it hard for the rest of the school...girls attacked in the bathrooms, shoes being stolen, etc. The main reason we moved away was because of the schools. we love it here in Destin. great schools, and even prettier than St. Pete.

9. Camp Creek Kid

Camp Creek Kid Christini Zambini

Not to break up these posts--I'm liking that everyone is straight and to the point. If y'all notice, this thread was started November 2004. SJ made his comments about "no community feel" almost a year ago. I'd venture to guess that he feels a little bit better about things now. In fact, a think that there was a thread recently about the fact that "the community" was starting to form. One problem is that most all locals here have been here for less than five years. It took me awhile to realize that I wasn't an "outsider" because everyone was new and everyone felt like and outsider.

I think the community feel of SoWal has increased as the real estate frenzy has dissapated.

Bob, we'd love to have you around here full-time.

Now back to hearing where everyone is from . . .

10. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

I was born and grew up in Grand Rapids, MI, then went to school at times in Albion, MI (Io Triumphe!) Washington, DC, and Ann Arbor. Got married and we spent a couple of thoroughly miserable years in Martin, TN, then Mr. Mouse got a job offer that would get us the heck out of Tennessee, which turned out to be here. We've now been here since 1998, first living down on Okaloosa Island (two bedrooms a block from the public access and a slight ocean view for $615/month) and then we bought in Bluewater in 2001.

Seems like every day I have a moment where I feel really lucky I get to live here.

11. OnMackBayou

OnMackBayou Beach Lover

Born in Houston, lived in St. Louis (briefly) then Chicago and Lake Geneva area for 12 years. Since the late 80's thought Naples would be where Ms. Bayou and I would end up.

Then had a little bayouette in Chicago 5 yrs ago and began looking for the perfect place to raise a family. All over California we looked (loved Ojai and Santa Barbara), North Carolina (Wilmington area was our fave) back to our native Texas (Houston or Austin) and back to Florida, (still thought it would be Naples).

Thought we'd seen everything there was to see in Florida until we began talking to a friend at a wedding in Texas. He raved about Destin and the beautiful aqua waters. Came down the next week and stayed at Sandestin. It was love at first sight. Moved here four months later. Bought a home on
    1 1/2 acres on Mack Bayou, and one in Sandestin.

We too were worried about the lack of a community center feel to the area. When I need a fix for that I drive to Panama City. After walking around downtown for about 10 minutes there I run back to the car and swiftly return home. Do that every four months or so.

12. ktmeadows

ktmeadows Beach Fanatic

What a great idea you had in resurrecting this thread Mermaid! :clap_1:

This has been interesting and fun! :lolabove:

13. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I truly love you guys!

14. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Beach Comber

I am from Weldon Spring, Missouri. (Originally a Southern Illinois girl.) My first visit to your area was approximately six years ago. White sand must be magnetic; I've been drawn back there just about every year since. (Twice this year!)

15. ktmeadows

ktmeadows Beach Fanatic

:welcome:
    You live near one of my favorite areas.....the Augusta wineries! My very favorite is Montelle...we spend nearly every Sunday there in October! I love enjoying the beautiful view, sipping wine, nibbling on cheese & fruit, listening to the music (especially the guy who does Jimmy Buffett...can't think of his name at the moment!) :clap_1:

16. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Beach Comber

I am very close to Augusta. It's been years since I've been there. I know, I should be ashamed living so close and all. I haven't been up in the Arch in a while either!

17. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

That seems to be the way it goes sandyfeet. I've lived in Dallas full time since 1976 and am proud to say I have never been to SOUTHFORK! Okay, once...it was for a charity event and it was dark and I didn't take the tour!!!!

Mermaid...you are one smart cookie for bringing this back! And kudos to GB as well for starting it in the first place!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  18. Cil

Cil Beach Fanatic

I thought I posted to this thread or something like it before, but perhaps that was back in the early mists, before Kurt changed to the V-bulletin format.

I was an airline brat; my timeline has me bicoastal (NY>NorCal>NY) before third grade, then in Denver, Colorado for high school.

Regardless, I *always* missed the beach. Two years ago, spouse and I visited the area and fell in love with it, but no job materialized.

Now he has the job and October 15th is our target date to leave Denver and head for Port St Joe.
    Won't be SoWal but it's a lot closer than the high desert of central Colorado.

What OnMackBayou says here:
    Thought we'd seen everything there was to see in Florida until we began talking to a friend at a wedding in Texas...
    ...is, I think, true of many people, and when we say we are moving to Florida, they immediately think of the Florida they know, which is Orlando or the southeast coast.

19. iwishiwasthere

iwishiwasthere Beach Fanatic

I am from a small town south of Nashville, but often believe we will eventually move to SoWal area. Since we no longer have children at home, it will be easier to do.

20. ktschris

ktschris Beach Fanatic

I was born and raised in St. Louis. Went to school in Eugene, OR (Go Ducks). After college, I moved to Medira Beach Florida where I met my husband. Then we moved back to St. Louis. Started out going to Fort Walton area for vacation, but 1 year (about 6 years ago) on a rainy day we started driving and ended up on 30A - haven't been back to Ft. Walton since. Love Seagrove. I was a "registered lurker" for about a year before I started posting. Now it seems, it's hard to stop!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.