• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

destindonna

Beach Lover
Sep 22, 2010
Well I started this thread about WB closing, but after the " dumpster diving diva's" comments this thread took a left turn. I am not a " native" of this area, but my heart and soul where transplanted here long before the body did in 2010 and the uniqueness and simplicity of Seagrove is slowly being eroded just as this storm will erode our beach.The villas and the cinder blocks cottages were and ARE why most of us love Seagrove.Will never understand why , if you love to come here then why do you want to change EVERYTHING? With the newer, sleeker,modern structures we are definitely losing our beloved Seagrove - one tear down/one rebuild at a time.In the not too distant future we will all be saying- do you remember when.We drove down to Mexico Beach last week to go shelling and we sighed at the still quaintness of that area.PROGESS IS NOT ALWAYS A GOOD THING!!

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I loved the villas and it was where I had family and friends stay. Reasonable prices, the best view on 30A, and within walking distance of Seaside.

DCollins

Beach Lover
Dec 1, 2010
Georgia
What draft beers does Whiskey Bravo have on tap and are they going to have any specials for College Football this weekend? How are the beer prices?

Holiday Properties

Beach Comber
Apr 2, 2012
Grayton Beach
www.itrip.net
You guys need to read the book "the way we were". It will put more of a perspective of things in the area.

The cinder block houses where built by Ed Walline--visit his grave at the SRB cemetery and you will gain a respect for our founding fathers. It may not be fabulous architecture, but those houses were built to withstand hurricanes and they have survived..just like the villas. I think we need to have more respect for the buildings that have lasted, and less respect for those that are beautiful, but still fall down.

This has nothing to do with WB, but the conversation turned.

We all should be spending less time talking about it, and more time DOING something about it.

That being said....is there a historic SRB foundation??

You know the North End (NOWAL, that makes me laugh) has a historical society why don't we have one here..That would be something to look into I think. I am friends with one of the gentlemen that had the misfortune of having to demolish the Villas..He said it was the best built structure he had ever come across and it did not want to break! He said it was a waste to tear down something in such amazing condition.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
There are actually two historical societys in the area. The first and oldest, although dormant, is the Coastal Heritage Foundation. My late father and a couple of other people were the founders of this organization, which is now under the wing of the Three Arts Alliance. For information, Chick Huettel (who writes a column in the Sun) was the most recent president. There is also a cool display in the library. The other is the Historic Point Washington Assocation, which was formed to help "save" Old Point Washington from going the way Seagrove has gone. It meets quarterly and new members are always welcome.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
There are actually two historical societys in the area. The first and oldest, although dormant, is the Coastal Heritage Foundation. My late father and a couple of other people were the founders of this organization, which is now under the wing of the Three Arts Alliance. For information, Chick Huettel (who writes a column in the Sun) was the most recent president. There is also a cool display in the library. The other is the Historic Point Washington Assocation, which was formed to help "save" Old Point Washington from going the way Seagrove has gone. It meets quarterly and new members are always welcome.

Three Arts Alliance is now rolled in to Cultural Arts Association of Walton County. :wink:

southof30A

Beach Lover
Nov 23, 2004
i have been "southof 30a" for over 20 years. i really miss the seagove of old, but understand that times do change, whether we want them to or not. that said, it really pains me that the big buck guys from (wherever), continue to come in and rip down fully functional buildings like seagrove villas, sell into lots, instead of investing in the property as is. Happens all over this country. Historic buildings torn down to build a high rise condo, plans change, and we end up with another parking lot. Where is our sense of heritage?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
While I agree with most of your post, southof30A, be glad that the Walton County BCC was wise enough to put in the 50' height limit. And it is something they do inforce. From what I've been told, just ask Mike Huckabee.

30A Eats

Beach Lover
Dec 14, 2011
30A
www.30aeats.com
I live here, from here 20 years, visited all my life, strongly dislike Seagrove Villa's are gone, and... I love the WB owners ( Skip and Victoria), concept, building, view, rooftop, drinks, and the owner's passion! WB food and management was lacking, and recently, owners did hire a new manager! With that in place, maybe all will give a second chance. If not happy, tell them! If a new chef is in order, let them know how many times you dined and disliked the food or service! Owners need to know so they can address the issue and grow stronger. They want to be part of our community and plan to be here for the long-haul! It is not haute cuisine, but they have a lot going for them, and riding on their success or failure. Thanks!:thanks: