Wintery Weather in SoWal

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by James Bentwood, Jan 28, 2014.

1. James Bentwood

James Bentwood Beach Fanatic

There is a chance of ice as far down as the costal area and the temperatures will only get above freezing for a few hours Wednesday. Russell Beaty, with Walton County Emergency Management, told the Walton Commissioners the situation has changed and more of the area will likely get some type of ice accumulation. He said the Weather Service has a high confidence much of our area will be affected negatively due to ice on powerlines and trees. Beaty stressed that the weather will likely cause impacts that will continue through Thursday.

The Walton Commissioners declared a local state of emergency. The county’s non emergency personnel will be closed through noon Thursday. The temperature is expected to rise midday on Thursday. Judge Kelvin Wells said the Constitutional Officers are in agreement with the closings.

Wilmer Stafford with Walton County Public Works said they have sand in the trucks and will be working in coordination with the FDOT. Walton Sheriff Mike Adkinson said they will coordinate with the county and the deputies will check roads. If you have questions or want to report an issue, call the Walton County Sheriff’s Office regular non-emergency numbers at 892-8111 or 267-2000. If you life or property is threatened, call 911.

2. James Bentwood

James Bentwood Beach Fanatic

Walton, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa and Escambia schools are closed Tuesday and wednesday. Holmes County Schools are closed Wednesday and Thursday. NWFSC closed Tuesday and possibly Wed. There are other cancellations and the list can be found at our website through the link above.

If at all possible, it is always advised to stay off the roadways during these conditions. If you must travel, the following precautions have been issued:

Due to possible icy road conditions, please proceed with extreme caution when traveling. Special attention should be paid to bridges and other higher elevation areas. Bridges can ice over before the adjacent roadways and this condition will affect wooden bridges before paved bridges due to the moisture already present in the wood.

Be cautious of black ice conditions as it can be hard to recognize ice on newly paved blacktop surfaces.

Residents are encouraged to not run sprinklers onto roadways during this time; as doing so may present a locally icy hazard condition for drivers. In addition, where possible, it is advised that residents winterize all outside water spigots with additional information to keep them from freezing.

3. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Thanks James - 34 and light rain in SoWal.
    Looks like we may be spared - how's everyone else doing around the nation?

4. Seagrovestateofmind

Seagrovestateofmind Beach Lover

Birmingham is a MESS! Tried to get home twice. Took over an hour to get ou of my parking deck. All family members stuck at their places of employment and my two dogs are at home locked in a crate. Noone nearby to get them out. Driving me crazy. May be looking at a 6.5 mile walk tomorrow.

5. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Hubby is snowed in at a Hampton Inn NW of Atlanta. All of the restaurants are closed. The staff at the Hampton graciously made fresh waffles and fruit for the guests for dinner. I don't know if he can get out of there in the AM due to icing on the roads. I'm home SW of Atlanta. Thankfully I went to Publix early yesterday, made a huge pot of vegetable soup, got fruit for my cereal for breakfast, so I'm good. Hubby is the new C.O.O. of a large international company, so I'm sure that someone at the company with a monster truck can pick him up in the AM and get him where he needs to go.

6. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

Atlanta is a mess as well. They called off the winter advisory/snow, everyone went to work and having difficult time getting home.

7. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Mobile is great if you have ice skates or a dog sled.

8. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

I am not understanding how bham and Atlanta were not more prepared! They didn't close schools and everyone went to work as usual.

Thankful for Walton County taking such great precautions for us and our kids!

9. Teresa

You just stay put until it's safe to travel home!

10. shakennotstirred

shakennotstirred Beach Fanatic

Just really cold here. Minus 2 this morning with a minus 17 windchill. Brr!

11. Beach Runner

I just woke up. Hope all of the kids in ATL who were stranded on a bus or at school at midnight have been reunited with their families.

12. pattymcbob

pattymcbob Beach Lover

In defense of people in bham, nothing was forecast for them; everything was supposed to be south of bham. The weather forecasters missed it big time. When it started & roads became hazardous, schools & offices closed immediately, but too late.

13. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Walton County Extreme Weather Update

Due to the current winter storm, the following conditions exist:

1. State Road 83 (U.S. 331), Choctawhatchee Bay Bridge/Clyde B. Wells Bridge closed to all traffic.

1. All roads from I-10 to the Alabama state line are closed. Only people who have emergencies will be allowed to travel.

1. Travel has been suspended north of I-10.

1. FHP has closed I-10 from mile marker 112 to Pensacola.

Walton County Public Works crews and DOT crews will continue to monitor the roads and will begin work on clearing and opening roads when possible.

All travel should be suspended until conditions improve. Only emergency vehicles should be on the road. Should you have an emergency, please call 911.

At your service,

Louis E. Svehla
    Public Information Manager
    Walton Board of County Commissioners
    76 North 6th Street
    DeFuniak Springs, FL 32435
    Phone: 850-951-7101
    Cell: 850-333-6404

14. UofL

UofL Beach Fanatic

In Louisville people scream when schools close (usually people who moved here from the north) and others yell when they don't. 2 hour delays are a good compromise especially with wind chills below zero.
    I don't know how you can really forecast bad weather. Across the river in IN, it can snow 6" and 1/2" in downtown Louisville. They can alert us to conditions that could result in bad weather. They've gotten really good about tornado forecasting. May not hit us - thank goodness - but can save people 60 miles away.
    Also, don't wear light workout clothes to run errands in and/or go to gyms. You could be in a wreck or behind a wreck and stuck in cold weather in shorts.
    Ice is so bad. No city anywhere can do anything about it nor can you drive in. Heck, you can't even walk on it.
    Hopefully your warm sunny days will return soon. My cousin is heading down from Vermont. Ellen

15. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Windchill in Ann Arbor, Michigan, was about 30 below yesterday, and the University of Michigan cancelled classes for the first time since January 1978. I didn't have to teach anyway, but it's nice to know that students didn't have to go out and get frostbite. Fortunately, there have been no crises or casualties around here as a result of this cold snap as far as I've heard. Both of the neighbor's new cars won't start, but my 2001 Honda Odyssey van started right up yesterday so they're borrowing my van. I love that old van and never want to sell it, especially since it's making it through this cold snap just fine.

16. Teresa

That's what many are saying but dang, I saw the maps and Bham was slap in the middle of the zone two days ago. Ice was a certainty! when you have that kind of traffic, roads, highways, and so many children and families and businesses involved (in atlanta and bham) it just seems like every precaution would be imperative. The hills in Bham are enough to do anybody in, even with the tiniest bit of ice.

Thank you Walton County for taking precautions and declaring emergency, closing schools, etc... even though we were very uncertain about what kind of impact would happen here. We don't rely on meteorologists but everyone in the big cities do for some reason.

17. Teresa

stay warm and safe up there! don't know how y'all do it!

18. Beach Runner

We haven't had classes yesterday or today. The Sheriff ordered everyone to stay off the streets. In Atlanta there are still kids stuck in school buses, adults and 18 wheelers stranded in their cars, and other vehicles just totally abandoned on the interstates.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  19. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Blaine just received call from Eglin- nonessentials don't come back until noon tomorrow.

20. pattymcbob

pattymcbob Beach Lover

I've been watching bham forecasts since the storm was announced & never saw bham involved (Atlanta, yes) as we have a house in bham as well as family & friends. I only use accuweather & weather channel aps so may have missed it. The funny thing is my friends in bham have been texting all week making sure I was prepared.