Yellow flies are here! Have fun hunting them!

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Dave Rauschkolb, May 8, 2019.

1. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Could not go for a walk yesterday due to yellow flies swarming worse than ever. My dog even refused to go for a walk. They must be at their peak. Meanwhile trapped ones die on my back porch from natural causes I guess.

FB_IMG_1558365709980.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  2. happy2Bme

happy2Bme Beach Fanatic

I spent both days this past weekend working outside in heavily-wooded areas. The first day, I wore Cactus Juice, and the yellow flies bothered me less but, in the long run of the day, ate me up pretty good. The second day, I sprayed myself good with Cutter (face and hair included)....I pressure-washed for 8 hours, and was buzz-bombed constantly, but was never bitten. Not a commercial endorsement; just an interesting face.

Last Thursday evening, one got in the house and, at some time after I went to sleep for the night, must have parked on one of the prominent veins atop my right hand, because I awoke with the skin on my right hand stretched extremely tight over a hand that was like a catcher's mitt. I only swell from bites to my hands and feet, but it usually only lasts no more than an hour.....my right hand stayed swollen until early evening on Friday! Ugh.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

I was doing some caulking outside yesterday and figured that trading out my shorts for long pants made more sense than swatting and dancing while up on a ladder. It worked! :lol:

4. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Yes I only walk with long pants during yellow fly season. They don't bite as long as I'm in motion. Usually. But they are aggressively dive bombing my head. Not sure but they may be worse bayside in the woods.

5. Emerald Drifter

Emerald Drifter Beach Fanatic

Same here on the long pants. I also wear a white bandana around my neck. This seems to keep them away from my neck and head. Also baseball hat when I am walking my dog. Hopefully this dry spell we are in will keep them in check.

6. BeachRob

BeachRob Beach Lover

Attached Files:

7. bhnc

bhnc Beach Crab

Are yellow flies an issue along the beach itself or in the beachside state parks and towns, or is it more of an inland wooded concern? We're visiting in a couple days and our toddler insists on only wearing blue and black which is the color that typically attracts yellow flies . . .

8. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

There are no yellow flies at the beach; they get worse the further you are from the beach. Where are you staying?

9. bhnc

bhnc Beach Crab

Rosemary Beach. Called Grayton Beach State Park yesterday and they said the yellow flies are the worst they've ever seen and they're everywhere all day, including right on the beach. They're battling them inside the ranger station. But I guess the natural setting there may be a different data point than the beach towns themselves . . .

10. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

I really don't think you will have a problem at the beach. We spent Monday at Grayton Beach and we didn't see a single one. I also walk my dog there in the afternoons and they're not around. But they are kind of bad at our house, which is about 1/3 mile from the beach. I have heard that they are terrible in Point Washington. Hopefully, Rosemary won't be too bad.

11. Emerald Drifter

With this run of dry weather, they seem to be a little less intense. Is this anyone else's experience?

12. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

They won't come out into the direct sunlight. They only thrive in the shade. The best advice is to stay at the beach and drink lots of beer.

13. happy2Bme

happy2Bme Beach Fanatic

I wish, but that’s Point Washington. Thankfully, it appears that I have accumulated enough YF venom in my person that I no longer swell/itch beyond a few minutes. And I find joy in wooing them to my prominent veins only to crush their life out of them....☠️

14. Emerald Drifter

The flies have seemed to have subsided somewhat. Perhaps its the rain, or just their time this year has come and gone? Anyone else' experience?

15. James Bentwood

James Bentwood Beach Fanatic

Yellow Flies subside after the initial fury then become intense again later in summer.

I'm stuck on "my toddler insists... "
    :lol::wacko::rolleyes: