• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bdarg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Point Washington
Yellow Rat Snake? Rat snakes are good to have around.

yellow_ratsnake_1.jpg

wallymom

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2005
Hi! I looked up Bull Snake and Yellow Rat Snake on Google. While most of the photos on the Yellow Rat Snake showed lengthwise stripes, there were some with stripes going the other way...and this is what this snake looked like! I then read up on them, and apparently they are dominant in the northwest part of Florida. The mystery may be solved. :)

Thanks to everyone for their input!!!!!

dbcooper

Beach Comber
Jan 11, 2008
I had 9 snakes in my backyard last summer. One crawled out of my sons dump truck as he picked it up. Try as you might---nobody could convince me snakes are good to have around!

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
I had 9 snakes in my backyard last summer. One crawled out of my sons dump truck as he picked it up. Try as you might---nobody could convince me snakes are good to have around!

Just remember - this is what rattlesnakes learn starting in preschool:

snake_school.jpg

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
Hi! I looked up Bull Snake and Yellow Rat Snake on Google. While most of the photos on the Yellow Rat Snake showed lengthwise stripes, there were some with stripes going the other way...and this is what this snake looked like! I then read up on them, and apparently they are dominant in the northwest part of Florida. The mystery may be solved. :)

Thanks to everyone for their input!!!!!

We use the National Audubon Society Guide for Reptiles and Amphibians of N. America...very handy! Glad the mystery may have been solved.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Just remember - this is what rattlesnakes learn starting in preschool:

snake_school.jpg

OMG, Rita. I love this. I was bitten by a ground rattler when I was five. I wandered around a bit before going in to see my Grandma at the little country store she ran. I went in and she sat me up on the counter. I told her I had been under the plum tree and had stepped on a bee. She saw the fang marks in my heel and started screaming for my dad and Grandpa.They went out back to get the snake to take with me to the hospital. The snake struck at my grandpas work boots and got it's fangs stuck in the leather and thats how they caught it so I would be given the right anti venom. I still don't fear them but have a healthy respect for them when we meet.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I am in a LTR and was cleaning up the place shortly after I moved in and discovered a critter in the storage room that leads out into the back yard. I thought at first that it was just a large night-crawler and hardly gave it a thought. As I was reaching to pick it up and toss it out the back door, I caught what looked like red bands going around the little bugger. :leaving:When I finally landed back on the ground, I looked closer to see that it was a snake. My first thought was that it was a baby coral snake. After googling for a bit, I am more convinced it is a corn snake. I scooped him up with a dust-pan and let him go in the back yard. He was just fine. Probably still out there eating up all those little lizards. :D