• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Which domain should the TDC select?

• www.southwalton.com

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • www.visitsouthwalton.com

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • www.toeachyourbeach.com

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • www.beachesofsouthwalton.com (current)

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • other (post ideas below)

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
I wonder how much cheddar 30A.com had to spend on that "acquisition" (I love that term - they're acting like two media giants just went all Wall Street). They bought a domain name for crying out loud, not an institution.

Anyway, I'm happy for 'em cuz I love 30A.com. 'SouthWalton.com' is NOT, however, the premier item it may seem to be to those of us who see ka-ching in the words "south" and "walton". There's a lot of work ahead for whoever wants to somehow get that term linked with paradise in the imaginations of non-natives everywhere. Most likely, there'll be at least one other major image revision before somebody gets it right, and it's not going to be 'South Walton' or 'South Walton To Each Your Beach'.

Gonna be something else. I'm FROM here and it doesn't do anything for me, so I can't see it having an effect on those alien to this region.

Last edited:

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I wonder how much cheddar 30A.com had to spend on that "acquisition" (I love that term - they're acting like two media giants just went all Wall Street). They bought a domain name for crying out loud, not an institution.

Several hoops I hear !

ka-ching.gif

They bought "ocean front" based on the new TDC brand.

What is left is 1/2 mile off the beach.

Last edited:
Hey I like that KA-CHING! Best one I've seen. They bought the land - now they gotta do some serious building, and it's gonna have to outshine everything else that has to do with 30A, Walton County, South Walton Blah Blah, Beaches, Real Estate, etc.

Heck, I think SOWAL would have been a much better buy, because it doesn't sound backwoods like "South Walton" does. Every time I see or hear "South Walton" I hear, "G'nite John Boy - g'nite Granpa, etc. etc." crickets chirping and mosquitos and banjos being plucked and you shore got a purty mouf and whatnot. When I see 'SoWal', I see hip, elegant, chic, and beach scenes with lavish beauty in my mind. Of course, that's cuz it's been conditioned. I'm sure "To Each Youz-a Beach-a" will find its way into the psyche after a few years of much money spent trying to get people to stop saying "The Beaches Of South Walton."

In any case, they got some bright pros on the job and I'm sure TDC and 30A.com have grand, exciting things up their sleeves.

Then again, I should probably shut up cuz deep down I don't want anybody else knowing about all this awesomeness. Matter of fact, if they succeed the way they hope, all that prosperity is gonna suck!

G'nite Bob, g'nite BeachSi02, g'nite Teresa, g'nite SWGB, g'nite Smilin Joe, g'nite...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:

playing4possum

Beach Comber
Jan 1, 2011
I have a question. The Tourist Development Council or TDC as it is called wants to promote tourism in Walton County. Is there a reason that we do not market all of the county? Sure the beaches are nice, but that is only part of the charm of coming here. Right? Who cares where the tourists decide to go once they are in our county and spending money, right? Why not market all of Walton County and use the current Walton County website that we have. If you look at other counties, big places....they do not seem to need another website to tell people about their county. You can do it all on one website, save taxpayers some money.
Tourism is important, don't get me wrong about that. I'm well schooled enough to know that we make in one day off tourism what it costs to take care of the Sherrif's office for a year....or thereabout.
I just feel that we're about to come to blows with this NORTH and SOUTH county stuff. Unless we're going to divide and conquer and become two seperate entities, we need to start thing of the whole picture. Try holding off on that new website. Walton County can't afford it.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Because the TDC makes its money only from people staying short term (6 months or less) in SOUTH Walton. They are trying to promote off-beach activities now, hence the desire to drop "beaches" from the branding. They know that many people enjoy much more than the beach. Prime example is my friend who is in town right now, who has yet to step foot on the sand, and won't be likely to do so before leaving. For her, the beach is about just visiting friends, with a touch of shopping and dining.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
The north end does not participate in the bed tax and yet the TDC does do some eco tourism up this way and does market activities up here. But it is hard to blame them for not focusing on the part of the county that is footing the bill.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The purchase of SouthWalton.com is pretty big. Keep in mind that Google goes for keywords in the actual domain name first. Obviously throwing the word beaches in there would help, but my understanding is with minimal content that domain name has gotten some serious traffic over the years.

The purchase of SouthWalton.com is pretty big. Keep in mind that Google goes for keywords in the actual domain name first. Obviously throwing the word beaches in there would help, but my understanding is with minimal content that domain name has gotten some serious traffic over the years.

You're right on that one. I've been snatching up domain names in my area of expertise with that exact strategy in mind. Only a couple more to go, but they're the really costly ones, and the current holders know I want them so they're raking me over the coals.

Dang it!

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I voted for the current name. All of these constant changes are stupid.

You know what happens when I have a link bookmarked and it doesn't work? I delete it. I don't go searching to find the new website.

And I think it's a mistake not to market the whole county to the whole country. Defuniak and the surrounding area have some pretty cool stuff - Chataqua, holiday lights, holiday home tours, springs, E.O. Wilson Biophilia.....