• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
I usually am not one to get involved but I do have to say I don't understand why everyone picks on SHELLY? His/her opinion is just that - an opinion. He/She can't make you feel angry, frustrated or anything negative - it's we ourselves that allow ourselves to feel what we feel. How people respond to things tells me more about them than what they say. And why in heavens name does it matter what SHELLY does?? If you feel confidant that your position is solid on a given topic, it shouldn't matter if someone agrees or disagrees with you. Voice your viewpoint, let the other guy/gal voice their viewpoint and see if there is any enlightment in the discussion. If not, toss it aside.

I just think everyone is entitled to their opinion and I don't think it's fair or right to pick on someone because their opinion goes against the grain. I personally like the wide range of thoughts and opinions here. It makes for great reading and discussion. I'm not defending SHELLY, I'm defending the process of information exchange. One thing I would like to know, though, about SHELLY - are you a girl or boy? I hate having to say he/she, him/her, etc

I will step down now...thank you. :D

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I
Curious as to what you think about someone that has several pieces of property down on 30-A that are paid for, no mortgages, and each one rents for enough to pay their taxes & insurance. Bought several years ago (1999 to 2002) for long term investments (think retirement age) we are in our 40's. What else would you do with the money if you sold it all?

BB,

If anyone told you "what to do" with your money from just the info you've given on a blog, I'd say they are a cad, a thief, a fraud, or a combination of all three.

Every single individual has different needs, wants and wishes. If you are sure your family's future and retirement is "airtight" finance-wise; if you've seen all the world you care to see; and have all the education you'd care to achieve....there's nothing wrong with taking the Buffett/Gates route and start spreading the wealth around.

Go Christmas shopping for lots of toys and drop them off at an orphanage; buy a bunch of food and drop it off at food bank; stop by a ragged old church and ask the pastor about the needs of one of it's members (an old lady who can't afford new glasses or a kid wearing shoes that are 2 sizes too small) and offer to pay; donate your time and some materials to Habitat; or make a donation to St Jude for kids with cancer.

Your RE portfolio is probably the envy of lots of readers...I kind of get the impression from your post that you're growing weary of landlordship and wanting a change of pace. I hope you find what you're looking for.

(PS: What do I do? Well, I'll narrow it down for you. I'm neither a priest nor a Victoria Secret Lingerie Model)

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I think it matters greatly because one's point of view is shaped by life experiences. You often have strong opinions and I think your work experience and education could support your position (or not).

But couldn't I just say that I was a former hot-shot, but burnt-out, Wall Street broker; Secret Agent for the CIA; high school cheerleader messing with Dad's computer; retired member of the Federal Reserve; Powerball winner; Waffle House chef; personal banker or Walmart greeter? :dunno:

This board is nothing more than an exchange of ideas (some better than others ;-) ). I just throw stuff out there....it's up to you to decide whether it makes sense or not.

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
BB,

If anyone told you "what to do" with your money from just the info you've given on a blog, I'd say they are a cad, a thief, a fraud, or a combination of all three.

I am not asking anyone what to do with my money, didn't get here by listening to most people. People that try to tell you what to do with your money have a vested interest most of the time.

I am just curious as to what you might would do with it. No we are not really tired of the landlord thing, we do other things with most of our time. One always tries to think ahead as to what to invest in. Real Estate has always been a good investment for us and we got out of the stock market (most of it) at a good time, we saw that coming too.

Where else do you feel would be a good investment?

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Where else do you feel would be a good investment?

The markets have been flashing red and green all summer. I expect once the "real traders" get back from vacation AND the Fed stops playing "good cop, bad cop" with the economy, AND the elections are over, the crystal ball will start to clear.

Personally, I'm pretty risk averse, so I'm diversified....except for the fact that I'm sitting on a bunch of "cash" right now (hey, 5%+ isn't too shabby for zero risk and high liquidity).

Got some US stocks and funds and some international (Europe, Asia, Emerging Markets) which have been keeping each other in balance. Last year on a whim took a position in Vanguard Precious Metals and Mining (for a commodity play)--they closed this fund out and it's been a roller coaster since May, but still up 20%+ for the year. It's in a tax-free retirement fund, so I'm planning on giving it a good haircut (or maybe even close it out) this winter and move it somewhere--don't know where that is yet.

"Invested" in a couple of vacations--still got a few rainbow trout in the freezer....I reckon they are worth about $75 a pound :D

Last edited:

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
I usually am not one to get involved but I do have to say I don't understand why everyone picks on SHELLY? His/her opinion is just that - an opinion. He/She can't make you feel angry, frustrated or anything negative - it's we ourselves that allow ourselves to feel what we feel. How people respond to things tells me more about them than what they say. And why in heavens name does it matter what SHELLY does?? If you feel confidant that your position is solid on a given topic, it shouldn't matter if someone agrees or disagrees with you. Voice your viewpoint, let the other guy/gal voice their viewpoint and see if there is any enlightment in the discussion. If not, toss it aside.

I just think everyone is entitled to their opinion and I don't think it's fair or right to pick on someone because their opinion goes against the grain. I personally like the wide range of thoughts and opinions here. It makes for great reading and discussion. I'm not defending SHELLY, I'm defending the process of information exchange. One thing I would like to know, though, about SHELLY - are you a girl or boy? I hate having to say he/she, him/her, etc

I will step down now...thank you. :D
Excellent post Indigo Jill!! :clap_1:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Redfish,

Since you're interested in the US economy, there's a good article in today's NYT about inflation: Global Trends May Hinder Effort to Curb U.S. Inflation

Here's an excerpt:

Global Trends May Hinder Effort to Curb U.S. Inflation

JACKSON HOLE, Wyo., Aug. 27 ? As the Federal Reserve fiercely debates how to reduce inflation within the United States, economists are warning that trends outside the country may soon make the Fed?s job much harder.

In recent years, global integration has made things easier for the Fed in two ways. An explosion in low-cost exports from China and other countries helped keep prices of many products low even as Americans spent heavily and loaded up on debt.

At the same time, China and other relatively poor nations reversed the normal patterns of global investment by becoming net lenders to the United States and Europe. Analysts estimate that this ?uphill?? flow of money from poor nations to rich ones may have reduced long-term interest rates in the United States by 1.5 percentage points in recent years ? a big difference when home mortgage rates are about 6 percent.

But as Fed officials held their annual retreat this weekend here in the Grand Tetons, a growing number of economists warned that those benign international trends could abate or even reverse.

For one thing, they said, China?s explosive rise as a low-cost manufacturer does not mean that prices will fall year after year. Indeed, China?s voracious appetite for oil and raw materials has aggravated inflation by driving up global prices for oil and many commodities.

Beyond that, new research presented this weekend suggested that the United States could not count on a continuation of cheap money from poor countries. Those flows could stop as soon as countries find ways to spend their excess savings at home.

?Medium- and long-term interest rates are set outside of the country,?? said Kenneth S. Rogoff, a professor of economics at Harvard University and a former director of research at the International Monetary Fund. ?It?s very important to think about what to do if the winds of globalization change.??

dsilvar

Beach Fanatic
Jan 12, 2006
Miramar beach
Got some US stocks and funds and some international (Europe, Asia, Emerging Markets) which have been keeping each other in balance. Last year on a whim took a position in Vanguard Precious Metals and Mining (for a commodity play)--they closed this fund out and it's been a roller coaster since May, but still up 20%+ for the year. It's in a tax-free retirement fund, so I'm planning on giving it a good haircut (or maybe even close it out) this winter and move it somewhere--don't know where that is yet.
What? ..no RE holdings. The single commodity that has had an annualized return of over 30% the last few years and better than the "market" return historically? You are an investulator SHEL..think about it..you just use a different currency to play with. Your gain in the stock market is somebody's loss..no?
Heck, I digress..I'm chasing experiences and not things any more..hard to get rid of a habit.
The question one should ask is "How much money is enough?"..I've told my kids that when I die I will be one dollar in debt. :D

spinDrAtl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
The markets have been flashing red and green all summer. I expect once the "real traders" get back from vacation AND the Fed stops playing "good cop, bad cop" with the economy, AND the elections are over, the crystal ball will start to clear.

Personally, I'm pretty risk averse, so I'm diversified....except for the fact that I'm sitting on a bunch of "cash" right now (hey, 5%+ isn't too shabby for zero risk and high liquidity).

"Invested" in a couple of vacations--still got a few rainbow trout in the freezer....I reckon they are worth about $75 a pound :D

A "commodity play" sure sounds like gambli...., um, investulat...., um... :D