• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
A "commodity play" sure sounds like gambli...., um, investulat...., um... :D

Carrying costs are minimal...no raising insurance costs; no raising taxes; no raising interest rates; and no 6% sales commission :D

In the words of that great American Ron Popeil: "Set it and forget it" (But have an exit strategy.)

I can be out of this position by close of business today--how many people holding a condo down on the beach can say the same?

Last edited:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
What? ..no RE holdings. The single commodity that has had an annualized return of over 30% the last few years and better than the "market" return historically?

Of course I'm in RE: I own my house...free and clear :D

nmosley

Beach Comber
May 9, 2006
I honestly don't think Shelly is bitter and really, does it matter if we know??

I have deliberately named my girls with names whereby they can use their initials as they get older and in business and be able to have written correspondence without anyone knowing their sex - that way, they can choose to share or not share based on their preference in any situation and not have their general correspondence in any way devalued based on peoples' perceptions of their sex (which unfortunately still happens whether we choose to admit it or not :sosad: .

I think it is cool that Shelly has kept this hand hidden as it forces us to look at what is being said and that is my $.02. I am trying to get changed (upgraded) from Beach Crab, hence my taking the time to post on this one!!! :D

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Your gain in the stock market is somebody's loss..no?

Not quite. The way the stock market is supposed to work is that someone buys a stock in a company that actually makes a product or provides a service (i.e., a "real" v.s. a 90's "virtual" company) and makes a profit from such. Let's say Wrigley (WWY) takes horses' hooves & sugar and turns it into chewing gum--that's "value added" -- people wouldn't pay good money to buy old hooves, but they are willing to pay for a package of Big Red. WWY expands the distribution of Big Red to China and India; more hooves, more sugar, more profits...and so on and so on.

Contrast that "value added" to RE flipping. A person buys a house for $100,000 on Jun 1st; gives it the $10,000 flipper special (GCT, SS appliances, a coat of contractor beige paint) and sells it for $200,000 on Jun 25th. The second person adds $10,000 of Pergo and a back deck and sells it for $300,000 on July 15th.

One is sustainable, value-added, profitable and worthy of investment. The other is unsustainable speculative frenzy. All things being equal, the former is capable of producing a situation where each succeeding holder of the stock has a chance of being better off--the latter will end up with "the greatest fool" dangling at the end of the line.

Last edited: