• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

potatovixen

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
PCB
www.myspace.com
I've been meaning to go there, but after hearing about your experience, Hutch, I'm not too sure. Do you remember the manager's name, by any chance? I'm just curious because I used to work with someone who left to go manage Great Southern Cafe. If it's the same person, I'm not really surprised at quality of service.

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
We had lunch at Great Southern a few days ago. Service was fine. Food was OK but not great. A little on expensive side.

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
We had brunch there one day this summer - food was, across the board, disappointing. I looked around and saw that many people still had substantial uneaten portions left on their plates (not a good sign). Service was medicore but most importantly (for me!) coffee was awful. I would probably need to be dragged there again. Hate saying this because I for one would like to support as many places as possible - so for now, am happily spending my hard earned $$$ at places where food is consistently good and service is too! And luckily we still have some choices :D

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
We had such a nice lunch there in August. We thought all was well done, including service, except for the fried calamari which we returned. However, consistency is what makes or breaks a business (and I assume especially a food business). So, sounds like Southern Cafe needs to work out the kinks very soon in order to stay in business. I'll probably go again next time I'm SoWal to see if I have another good meal there or not. But I trust the comments from others on this board, so it sure seems like consistency is a problem with Southern Cafe and it has now been in business long enough to know what it needs to do and come through consistently for customers. Especially since word-of-mouth advertising and repeat business will be critical to its success, especially off season.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
We had such a nice lunch there in August. We thought all was well done, including service, except for the fried calamari which we returned. However, consistency is what makes or breaks a business (and I assume especially a food business). So, sounds like Southern Cafe needs to work out the kinks very soon in order to stay in business. I'll probably go again next time I'm SoWal to see if I have another good meal there or not. But I trust the comments from others on this board, so it sure seems like consistency is a problem with Southern Cafe and it has now been in business long enough to know what it needs to do and come through consistently for customers. Especially since word-of-mouth advertising and repeat business will be critical to its success, especially off season.

Judging by the empty restaurant everytime I drive or walk by, I would say that being consistant is difficult when you don't have any customers on which to practice. My guess is that it won't be long before you see it replaced with a casual restaurant, or something altogether different.

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin
Judging by the empty restaurant everytime I drive or walk by, I would say that being consistant is difficult when you don't have any customers on which to practice. My guess is that it won't be long before you see it replaced with a casual restaurant, or something altogether different.

Maybe a restaurant like Shades would work in that spot.:evil:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well

Oh well... I enjoyed our appetizers and grouper sandwich, as well as the presentation, very much. But consistency is critical...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Maybe a restaurant like Shades would work in that spot.:evil:
I bet you are right. Shades is very casual, and the food is decent as are the prices. Shades would probably work very well in that spot.

Cafe Rendevouz doesn't seem to have any problem staying busy, and the food is great, as is the service -- very inviting.

Beach Bimmer

Beach Fanatic
May 2, 2006
South Walton
Had breakfast (Seaside DSA meeting) and lunch at Great Southern today. The Pensacola Pulled Pork sandwich with gouda cheese grits had outstanding flavor, and there was no extra charge for the side order. Service was prompt, and both the owner (Bob Pride) and his right hand (Maggie) introduced themselves and made sure we were well taken care of. I feel they're moving in the right direction now...

BB

Last edited:

madjack

Beach Crab
Jun 17, 2008
I sort of feel the urge to stand up for Great Southern Cafe in Seaside. It's good. My friends ate there 3 times last week and wanted to go back again. Shades was so tired, and its atmosphere was intimidatingly conservative (Fox News running 24/7 can make you lose your appetite). People who miss Shades should still be able to go there; its owner told me that they were just moving down 30-A, to a bigger space.