• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

butterbean

Beach Fanatic
Jun 15, 2006
chef/owner of great southern Jim Shirley is a competent and well respected chef, sounds like a service problem,and this deal about letting them have a few months to get their stuff organized is nonsense, they are on their second summer, you know the crowd is coming, be ready, prepared, pay a fair wage, offer great food, be the employer of choice, respect employees. Ollie, Jim Richard, the folks at Borago don't seem to have trouble keeping staff. I agree that it seems Seaside is aware of the monied crowd, and perhaps the rent is commensurate with that vision. I agree that Shades was ok only, but if you go to a place that guarantees lotsa hungry,wealthy diners you ought to take advantage. Look at the merchants in Sandestin, Sandestin brings them in, and they do a great job, or out they go(remember the short lived cajun place and the homestyle food place). It seems the food scene is raising the bar with Stinkys, Fire,the new menu at D&Ks, Tango and you bettr deliver the goods or someone that cares will. Southern may kick during the season, but the test is if us locals support them in jan, feb. Remember - good food, great service-see ya next week. Great food, poor service- see ya in the funny papers!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I heard JT is working as the Great Southern breakfast host! Apparently the hours don't mess up his beach time too much. :clap:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
A lot can happen in two years. I had the grits and grillades there a while back and they were pretty tasty. The dish appeared to have been reheated in the microwave as it had that crusty edge on the sauce like a Stouffer's lasagna when you left it in just a tad too long. I am not complaining as I love that burnt, crusty bit......I wonder if that qualifies as a technique? lol

Love it! I also know a local gourmet deli whose's famous lasagna is...Stouffer's. :blush:

Not that there is anything wrong with that. It's good stuff and I stopped trying to make lasagna from scratch after I found out about that!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
JT is the host for breakfast. You may also catch him on occasion at Angelina's. Perfect hours for him and his precious beach time, and he doesn't have to mess up his tan lines wearing some silly uniform.

seagrover

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2004
Seagrove Beach, FL
Forgive me if this has been previously stated as I did not read in detail every post but here are my .02 on GS -

I ordered a hamburger there not too long ago - it had to be one of the very worst in this area. It literally looked as though someone had taken a magic marker and drawn "grill" lines across it. I ordered med. rare and it was so overcooked, I could only surmise they got it that way from the freezer and just heated it up.

I won't be going back!!!

And, I loved the old Shades - for exactly what it was. I loved taking visitors there for lunch - I miss it.

meamea

Beach Comber
Sep 5, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
We ate at the Great Southern at Seaside yesterday. We had the grits and grillades - tasty but too salty for my taste. It was enough to share. We will try it again when the summer crowds are gone - parking is tight.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Maybe a restaurant like Shades would work in that spot.:evil:
My thought exactly. Bring back Shades. If they would have renewed the lease for Shades as they should have done with a popular place, they wouldn't have this problem. It does seem, however, it worked out better for Shades. Their new place is great but just a little further that we like to go regularly.