• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
I don't think it's THAT big a deal. Cops sometimes try to be good ambassadors of the law by being friendly with kids. Passing out candy or answering questions about "bad guys." Kids are fascinated with cops, firemen, EMS, etc.

Perhaps it was bad judgement for them to be invited into the car without a parent around and I can absolutely understand a parent's worry for their kids getting into cars, but just be sure you don't do the opposite of their intentions and scare them away from those that "Protect and Serve."

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
So I don't understand how you know for certain that it was a real cop? Did the 9 yr old tell you so?

I thought you were going to tell us that after the kids climbed into the car, the cop knocked on your door to tell you about the dangers of kids playing unsupervised, and that they were going to report you as bad parents. (I, in no way, am suggesting that you are a bad parent -- It just sounds like entrapment.)

As someone else mentioned, no matter the career, sex, religion, race, etc., there are perverts and child molesters in each category. Look no further than the recent example in the Catholic Church and in the political fields. It doesn't stop with the badge. You should definitely persuit the incident and file a formal complaint. No right-minded person would do such a thing which you describe without parental consent or parental presence. I think the media should also be alerted so that parents can be reminded to have these discussions with their kids. I doubt this kind of thing happens often, but you don't want to be the one it happens to.

:evil:

Liv'smom

Beach Lover
Oct 5, 2006
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
I'm telling you, it is terrifying to think of what could have happened. Losing either one of my girls, much less both. I can't imagine anything worse. Little confirmations that there is a God.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I don't think it's THAT big a deal. Cops sometimes try to be good ambassadors of the law by being friendly with kids. Passing out candy or answering questions about "bad guys." Kids are fascinated with cops, firemen, EMS, etc.

Perhaps it was bad judgement for them to be invited into the car without a parent around and I can absolutely understand a parent's worry for their kids getting into cars, but just be sure you don't do the opposite of their intentions and scare them away from those that "Protect and Serve."
Today, it is get into my cop car. Tomorrow, a Child Sexual Predator buys a fake badge and flashes it, and your kid is kidnapped and killed.

You are correct that people should not over-react. The parents should also make the kids aware that a badge does not mean anything more than a uniform, and that anyone asking them to get into the car for any reason, should be a sign to go get mommy or daddy if either are around.

I am a friendly guy and I talk to young kids whom I've never met all the time. Only a small handful shy away, and some run to their mommy and daddy. I don't have any problems with a kid being scared simply because I am a stranger. I say good for them.

Liv'smom

Beach Lover
Oct 5, 2006
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com

All good points, but when have you seen this go on in their patrol car with no one else around. I am hoping that that is all it was. Poor judgement. But as someone pointed out, their poor judgement is a liability to the polcie dept. It is poor judgment that will scare my kids away from law enforcement. I made it very clear to my kids that a real police officer would never be offended by a child going to a parent. I don't want them to fear law enforcement, I want them to understand that danger is everywhere. To trust their gut. The only thing my 2 year old's gut tells her is when something needs to go in or come out, but I'm working on her. :D

Liv'smom

Beach Lover
Oct 5, 2006
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
To answer smiley joe without quoting his long post, thank you for taking the time, we actually heard the siren and I thought it was on the television. My 9 year old then came in and told us about it. According to her, he was in a marked car and uniform, but that was my point with her. You just don't know.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area

True about the possiblilty of bad judgement, but........

In our church and in this denomination (as it should be in ALL denominations), we have a policy and a discipline called "Safe Sanctuaries" and it requires no child or teen is alone with an adult, AT ANY TIME. There always has to be another adult or another teen in the same room or car (carpooling to and from events). It's not only for the safety of the child/youth but for the adult as well. It does require a lot of extra planning and obtaining volunteers, but if it's not followed, the event is cancelled.

It's really just common sense and I'm surprised that the officer used such poor judgement. Getting to know the police is done in public situations, "Officer Friendly", etc. That way parents can teach their children w/o the worry of something exactly like this happening.

Liv'smom

Beach Lover
Oct 5, 2006
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
Today, it is get into my cop car. Tomorrow, a Child Sexual Predator buys a fake badge and flashes it, and your kid is kidnapped and killed.

You are correct that people should not over-react. The parents should also make the kids aware that a badge does not mean anything more than a uniform, and that anyone asking them to get into the car for any reason, should be a sign to go get mommy or daddy if either are around.

I am a friendly guy and I talk to young kids whom I've never met all the time. Only a small handful shy away, and some run to their mommy and daddy. I don't have any problems with a kid being scared simply because I am a stranger. I say good for them.

Anyone with nothing but good intentions would feel the same way. I am a very laid back parent. I don't want my kids to fear the world, I want them to be cautious as they take it all in. If I were one to overreact, my line of questioning would have gone something like this;

"What did he do to you when you were in his car?"
"Did he touch you?"

This is just the kind of thing that leads to interviews with Nancy Grace. I would think that they would want to protect one of their own, just as I want to protect mine.