• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Thank you steeleing1. It's all good. I know what kind of parent I am. I expected a little holier-than-thou when I made the post. I did and do feel safe there, but times they are a changin', right? Thank you again for the kind words.

Do NOT let your guard down just because you live in an "undeveloped" area of SoWal.

The SoWal population includes A LOT of transients--vacationers, maintenance folks, construction workers. You know, by the sinking feeling you felt in your gut when you found out that your 9 & 2 year old children climbed into and out of the car without your knowledge, something was amiss. You've been given the gift of a do-over; you've obviously learned a lesson.

As much as the cop wanted to be "officer friendly," his lack of judgement needs to be addressed by his superiors. He should be made to visit area schools and pre-schools (on his own time if necessary) and present lectures on "Stranger Danger."

I also mourn the loss of the safety and security we once felt not so long ago--but like you said, the times HAVE changed. A couple of days ago a man exposed himself to a girl at Destin Target. The nuts are out there, and they come in all varieties: tourists, cops, teachers, wealthy retirees, construction workers, and Florida Congressmen. Sadly, we must put tighter restrictions on our children in order to protect them.

Liv'smom

Beach Lover
Oct 5, 2006
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
Do NOT let your guard down just because you live in an "undeveloped" area of SoWal.

The SoWal population includes A LOT of transients--vacationers, maintenance folks, construction workers. You know, by the sinking feeling you felt in your gut when you found out that your 9 & 2 year old children climbed into and out of the car without your knowledge, something was amiss. You've been given the gift of a do-over; you've obviously learned a lesson.

As much as the cop wanted to be "officer friendly," his lack of judgement needs to be addressed by his superiors. He should be made to visit area schools and pre-schools (on his own time if necessary) and present lectures on "Stranger Danger."

I also mourn the loss of the safety and security we once felt not so long ago--but like you said, the times HAVE changed. A couple of days ago a man exposed himself to a girl at Destin Target. The nuts are out there, and they come in all varieties: tourists, cops, teachers, wealthy retirees, construction workers, and Florida Congressmen. Sadly, we must put tighter restrictions on our children in order to protect them.

You got that right sister/brother?!!!

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Wow, this thread got me upset. You have to report this man. What was he doing driving around your neighborhood anyway if there is no one or anything going on?
Reporting this will ensure that he is watched further. You may prevent this from happening to another child who may not be so lucky. He could be building trust, and then who knows, he shows up at your child's school and because she has seen him before gets in the car with her friends.
This kind of warning isn't just for children either. Soemtimes adults have to be leery of the police as well.
I reported an officer that didn't sit right with me (won't get into the details) but had I not ID'ed him, he may not have been caught for commiting a horrific crime.
Ok, I am done ranting. ;-) Going to take a walk on the beautiful SoWal beach now.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
Last Sunday we were at Dylan's football game. The field is in a big open space near the woods and a river. My MIL was there with my 5 year old nephew. It was really hot and there was a nice shady area about 150-200 yards from where we were. She told him to run over there and rest under a tree. At the time I was watching the game and wasn't really paying attention. I saw him walking over there. I told MIL I didn't think that was a very good idea-anyone could come right out of the woods and grab him and we'd never make it there in time to get him even if we were watching. She thought I was crazy. BUT she did call him back. :D I told her you just can't take any chances now a days.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
When I was a kid, living in the "world's most famous beach", my mother had the bad fortune of being caught in the middle of a 7-11 robbery. The police had the horrendously poor judgement of driving one of the suspects to our neighborhood, dragging him "literally" out of the squad car, and standing him up in our front yard. The boneheaded explanation was that they needed a quick ID. My father was so upset, I thought he was going to be arrested. I believe this "officer" needs a written reprimand and an interview with a professional who could screen him for pedophile tendecies. Walton County should also have a letter of warning from your attorney.

Diane4145

Beach Fanatic
Sep 3, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
The officer may very well have had good intentions, but he CAN'T do that!:bang: With idiots impersonating an officer, etc... this is unacceptable! I also would've been mortified, as a parent! Geez, I am! I wanted to send Sheriff Johnson this SOWAL link, but couldn't. I think that it was due to my computer and script issues. Here is their website, for you to contact him. http://waltonso.org It might be beneficial for the Sheriff, to see these postings! Like someone else mentioned, a deputy could even be accused of a molestation!:eek:

scrltbegonya

Beach Fanatic
Dec 14, 2005
SRB
Wow, this thread got me upset. You have to report this man. What was he doing driving around your neighborhood anyway if there is no one or anything going on? Reporting this will ensure that he is watched further. You may prevent this from happening to another child who may not be so lucky. He could be building trust, and then who knows, he shows up at your child's school and because she has seen him before gets in the car with her friends.
This kind of warning isn't just for children either. Soemtimes adults have to be leery of the police as well.
I reported an officer that didn't sit right with me (won't get into the details) but had I not ID'ed him, he may not have been caught for commiting a horrific crime.
Ok, I am done ranting. ;-) Going to take a walk on the beautiful SoWal beach now.

I'm not sure I agree...would you rather have them sitting at the local donut shop? They should be driving around making sure things are status quo. Being pro-active.

That is, assuming they are GOOD COPS, driving around doing GOOD things and watching for BAD INCIDENTS - not causing them.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
When I was a kid, living in the "world's most famous beach", my mother had the bad fortune of being caught in the middle of a 7-11 robbery. The police had the horrendously poor judgement of driving one of the suspects to our neighborhood, dragging him "literally" out of the squad car, and standing him up in our front yard. The boneheaded explanation was that they needed a quick ID. My father was so upset, I thought he was going to be arrested. I believe this "officer" needs a written reprimand and an interview with a professional who could screen him for pedophile tendecies. Walton County should also have a letter of warning from your attorney.

Excellent idea. It seems that everyone is giving this "officer" the benefit of the doubt. We are a fairly nice society, so that is not unusual, but what if this guy is a sexual predator, who just happens to be a cop?