• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beach*photog

Beach Comber
Sep 19, 2006
Mack Bayou
I don't want to stir the pot but here is a pic...

DwarfSpermWhale.jpg

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I suppose your right. My skin tends to be a bit thicker than most. I am one who can take it as well as I can dish it out. My apologies to any southern lady or gentleman that may have been offended by my attempt at redneckanese.

Liv's Mom, I wasn't offended. Thought your comment funny. Some of us have forgotten that it's quite healthy to be able to laugh at oneself. All this political correctness is going to do this country down the toilet.

typing with a country accent is not at issue.

sarawind

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
30A
Sheesh! A person can laugh at or make a funny post and still have compassion for the subject at hand. IMHO, the policeman shouldn't be
tarred and feathered until all the facts are known. While the pictures are
grisly, he may have been in the right. If he was in the wrong, I hope he will be dealt with to the fullest extent of the law.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
As sad as this is, I bet the police officer would like to play it all over again. I have alot of respect for these guys on the streets making no money and catchin S@#$% every time they turn around. My bet is he felt like he was doing the right thing. We may never know for sure.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Sheesh! A person can laugh at or make a funny post and still have compassion for the subject at hand. IMHO, the policeman shouldn't be
tarred and feathered until all the facts are known. While the pictures are
grisly, he may have been in the right. If he was in the wrong, I hope he will be dealt with to the fullest extent of the law.

That was my point. ;-)

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.
I bit my tongue for a few days until I was able to get some time to gather some information regarding the officer's conduct. If I were going to punish the officer and bring charges against the Walton County Sheriff's Department because of the officer's questionable conduct, it would be for a jursidictional issue.

Did the officer have the jurisdictional authority to shoot the animal? No.

Why? Because the whale species we are discussing here is on the list of threatened and endangered species made possible by the Federal Endangered Species Act and by the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972, but it is not listed on Florida's version of these or any other state legislation.

He went beyond the scope of his employment in shooting the animal. Yes, he was providing protection for the people of Walton County because it was feared that it would attract sharks which posed a danger to beachgoers, but there were Red Flag conditions so there should not have been anyone in the waters to begin with, and if not he could have simply cleared on lookers from the waters by simply informing them of the dangers.