• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
What our area really needs is a good kosher deli !! what do you guys do when you have a craving for a pastrami or corned beef on rye with a round potato knish and a kosher pickle ????

Hop a plane to NY, go to Katz' Deli

katz_pastrami.jpg

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
What our area really needs is a good kosher deli !! what do you guys do when you have a craving for a pastrami or corned beef on rye with a round potato knish and a kosher pickle ???? How about some good fresh made chopped chicken liver.....and ruggalah for dessert. Now thats good eatin !!:love:

p.s. i like pf changs.

Joey Tomato's in Niceville? Not quite what you were looking for, but they've had their moments in the past.

As for the outlet mall in the winter, it draws a decent crowd on weekends. Weeknights, it's just too much of a drive from where the locals work in PCB or FWB to want to have to bother with US 98.

nmosley

Beach Comber
May 9, 2006
Oh Shelley -
What an awesome photo! My mouth is watering just looking... now all I need is a cup of Borscht to go with it and I'll be livin' large! I too love good deli eats and have missed living in the Northeast mostly because of the autumn leaves and the extensive availability to great foodstuffs, but I can honestly taste that photo!!! Ya'll stay warm and well...

mf

Banned
May 14, 2006
We need things for kids to do here. I am amazed that no one has gone after this. Maybe rents are just too high to sustain a business that goes after that market. My wife and I have looked but I can not make the numbers work. The rental rates are too high.... $20 per sq foot plus just does not work for any kid based business:sosad: .

a video arcade????

all of these businesses have made TONS of money in every kind of market.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]American Adventures [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Andretti Indoor Karting & Games [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Chuck E. Cheese's [/FONT]
trans.gif
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Dave and Buster's [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]ESPN Zone [/FONT]
trans.gif
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Startime Entertainment [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]US Play [/FONT]
businesses here have not caught on yet to the fact that while parents spend more on necessities, kids have the highest discretionary income.

that's the target market demo for al entertainment and tourism. except for some reason here on the emerald coast. weird.

can you make money? sure you can! and eases are easy to come by because most retailer are THRILLED to be near any of these chains that will keep the kids busy while mom shops.

:clap_1:

also, if we keep pretending kids and teens don't exist in this area and don't provide them stuff to do here, they'll find things to do, the kind of things that get kids and communities into trouble.

niceville's great, but it's hard to take a whole day off to cart the kid there and back. we need something more convenient for parents than a 45 minute commute to children's activities. i mean..it's not like this is a high end couple resort area. it's a family vacation area.

Last edited:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
Somewhere, I have read that the "factory stores" in Sandestin are the USA's "largest outlet mall." I think Factory Stores and Outlet Mall are different. Outlet Malls, like you find on I-85 in Jefferson, GA (ENE of ATL), offer great prices. The Factory Stores at Sandestin rarely have a discount from what I have seen, except the NIKE store.

Who shops on vacation? Skunky, I want you to attempt to drive past the Factory Stores in Sandestin on a rainy day in June. :rotfl: When the rain comes, everyone goes to the Outlet Mall. Also, other than the beach in Destin, Destin Commons is the single most visited place in Destin. Kids love playing in the fountains. I think they seem to like it more than playing at the beach. Like it or not, these shopping places are packed throughout the summer. Here at the beach, for retailers, we have three months of Christmas - June, July & August. December is just a bonus. It is not surprising to see the factory stores here, empty for most of December.

Went to GAP today and they had super sales. when I came out of the store with 2 adult shirts, 1 child jacket, 2 pairs of socks, 1 childs shirt for about $25 I would say that was a deal. I think that you have to just have to catch the deals. Some stores never seem to have them...:roll:

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
a video arcade????

all of these businesses have made TONS of money in every kind of market.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]?[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]American Adventures [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]?[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Andretti Indoor Karting & Games [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]?[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Chuck E. Cheese's [/FONT]
trans.gif
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]?[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Dave and Buster's [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]?[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]ESPN Zone [/FONT]
trans.gif
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]?[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Startime Entertainment [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]?[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]US Play [/FONT]
businesses here have not caught on yet to the fact that while parents spend more on necessities, kids have the highest discretionary income.

that's the target market demo for al entertainment and tourism. except for some reason here on the emerald coast. weird.

can you make money? sure you can! and eases are easy to come by because most retailer are THRILLED to be near any of these chains that will keep the kids busy while mom shops.

:clap_1:

also, if we keep pretending kids and teens don't exist in this area and don't provide them stuff to do here, they'll find things to do, the kind of things that get kids and communities into trouble.

niceville's great, but it's hard to take a whole day off to cart the kid there and back. we need something more convenient for parents than a 45 minute commute to children's activities. i mean..it's not like this is a high end couple resort area. it's a family vacation area.

Morgan's (a huge arcade and game room) was at Silver Sands for many years where the Saks now is. I don't know why they closed Morgan's, but I'm assuming that it wasn't a big money maker?

There are tons of things for teens to do in PCB or Destin if you're looking for arcade-type entertainment. Part of the charm of 30-A and SoWal is that we don't have a strip filled with miniature golf courses and go cart tracks. I'd much rather spend time with my kids than drop them off at an arcade. IMO, arcades are exactly the right kind of atmosphere for kids to get in trouble in and I don't think they are an appropriate place for young children to hang out in while their parents are shopping. On the other hand, SoWal has lots of things for kids to do--beach, hiking, swimming pools, biking, etc. Most of the local pre-teens and teens that I know spend lots of time outdoors and when they get a hankering for a video game, they go inside and play X-Box or Playstation in their own homes (which is much safer).