• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Or you may be hectares off.

Listen and learn, take notes.

There is a wondros psychological profile that has to do with risk assessment and the difference between what we perceive and what is real. Security is a feeling and a reality, they're not the same though.

Behavioral economics looks at human biases that are emotional, social, and cognitive and how they affect economic decisions. Following that is the psychology of decision-making which examines how we make decisions. Both look at the concept of risk with behavioral economics more in relation to economic risk, and the psychology of decision-making more generally in terms of security risks.

The savvy developer knows more about you than you do, no sheep crap.

Care to know more?
Yes, we teach our children to avoid characterizing stereotypical behavior. It's very un-PC to establish a link between sub groups and predictive response, yet the very foundation of capitalism is to know how to zero in on predictability through formulaic marketing. Your entire day, if in public places or recognizing mass media is spent navigating a constant barrage of button pushing.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
Fess up sheep...you got a thesarsus for Christmas...right?
I thought they were extinct?:dunno:

Nope, TheSheep was the recipient of the charitable efforts of a Master English teacher for six years, grades 7-12, then off to the University of HighHeels and Sin where TheSheep found a three year roomie...an English Lit major.:blink:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
We too have this lingering fear that by the time we are ready to retire, 30A may be so crowded we may not want to live there full-time! We were impressed by the fact that the area restricted building heights, and had the forsight to actually have some plans in place (unlike the Destin area). Now we must concern ourselves that the elected officials will uphold those restrictions. :dunno:

I still think we will eventually make the permanent move and be happy with it. I will be sad if things get too crowded though and the area becomes stripped of it's natural beauty. I feel very good about the community and activism within it - this is what can help SoWal remain SoWal, the wonderful place that it is.

Rita: the thing about sowal is that folks like you move here because they really want to live here and be part of the wonderful community. it's become more family-oriented than ever, and this is a good thing. while the market is still slow, there is sure to be growth in housing, tourism and business opportunity for years to come. so, change is something we're accustomed to, and something we know and expect to happen.

many of us choose not to live on 30A - summertime is a zoo and its not for us. so, we aren't exposed to it unless we choose to get in the middle of it.

the preserved state beaches and forests are the best part of the deal on south walton, and is one of the top reasons we chose to make sowal our home. this sets south walton apart from other Florida destinations, along with building restrictions. and our community leaders and residents are all proud and protective of these ideals.

yes, sometimes it seems we are becoming a suburb of Atlanta with all the yuppies coming to town with their version of what sowal needs to be a "real town", ie, dog parks and the like. But, that's part of it too. Most folks moving in are quite educated, open-minded and bring unique experiences to the community.

while its not perfect. it's really wonderful. :love:

Last edited:

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
Yes, we teach our children to avoid characterizing stereotypical behavior. It's very un-PC to establish a link between sub groups and predictive response, yet the very foundation of capitalism is to know how to zero in on predictability through formulaic marketing. Your entire day, if in public places or recognizing mass media is spent navigating a constant barrage of button pushing.
The operative word is predictive and therein lies the rub (lower, please).

Living on top of one another, high densityand paying dearly for this, would on the surface appear to be irrational. I believe this style of irrationality can be explained only psychologically.

Not much different than the fear of flying vs driving, the latter a considerably higher risk proposition. These irrationalities must be inborn and they exist for good reason.

Capitalistic governments take advantage of this aberration, look at the brutally stoopid attempts to control terrorism, the hordes of monies spent, a complete waste, great for those who deal in airport "security" technologies. :blink:

Understanding the fundamental problem, there's the fun, is that our brains are scrambled having to assess our dual systems for reacting to risk

1) a primitive intuitive, "fight or flight" system and

2) a more advanced analytic system...........

........and they're operating in quantumly.

It is this duality that TheSheep seeks to understand and inside SoWal living maybe one of the answers.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
the preserved state beaches and forests are the best part of the deal on south walton, and is one of the top reasons we chose to make sowal our home. this sets south walton apart from other Florida destinations, along with building restrictions. and our community leaders and residents are all proud and protective of these ideals.
Toots, ain't so, you can find lotsa places in FL where you have a strong commitment of environment (egads, ask the Deltonas about Marco Island circa 1970s :eek: ); Sanibel, the Panhandle coast from Cape San Blas to and around the southern turn, the latter two have no allowance for any structures over 36' feetish. If set apart means different, perhaps, but not exclusive.

And what has come of all that, btw. Sanibel is practically an estuary in which humans cohabit but their beaches are screwed with red algae drift. Now they are reporting 4-8 degree temp jumps in the Gulf, the sharks have bailed 8 weeks early, shellfish washing ashore deader than, er, shells, nope, no connection to any known tide or drift.

Your looking at a major change in the landscape effects which will certainly be felt in SoWal now that they have "reclaimed" 4,000 acres of wetlands NW of PC for an airport. Those eastern originating planes, you know everyone has to take a dump right before landing, where do you think that power flush toilet is gong to rain that stuff? :rotfl:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Toots, ain't so, you can find lotsa places in FL where you have a strong commitment of environment (egads, ask the Deltonas about Marco Island circa 1970s :eek: ); Sanibel, the Panhandle coast from Cape San Blas to and around the southern turn, the latter two have no allowance for any structures over 36' feetish. If set apart means different, perhaps, but not exclusive.

And what has come of all that, btw. Sanibel is practically an estuary in which humans cohabit but their beaches are screwed with red algae drift. Now they are reporting 4-8 degree temp jumps in the Gulf, the sharks have bailed 8 weeks early, shellfish washing ashore deader than, er, shells, nope, no connection to any known tide or drift.

Your looking at a major change in the landscape effects which will certainly be felt in SoWal now that they have "reclaimed" 4,000 acres of wetlands NW of PC for an airport. Those eastern originating planes, you know everyone has to take a dump right before landing, where do you think that power flush toilet is gong to rain that stuff? :rotfl:

sheepster, I have not opposed any of your well-informed viewpoints, even though I believe they are a bit skewed in the negative direction of thinking (has anyone ever accused you of being a cynic?:lol: ). all of your points have validity.

however, as a long time resident, I don't think you can say that "its not so" when I tell you the reasons many locals choose to live here and are proud of our community. I did say it isn't perfect... but, it's the most perfect place I've ever lived.

of course there many other places in Florida where environmental preservation is important. we're lucky to be in one of those places. (once again though, it ain't perfect - our county has come a long long way, but is still a tiny infant baby when it comes to overseeing development code, growth in the south end, etc.).

Last edited:

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
sheepster, I have not opposed any of your well-informed viewpoints, even though I believe they are a bit skewed in the negative direction of thinking (has anyone ever accused you of being a cynic?:lol: ). all of your points have validity.

however, as a long time resident, I don't think you can say that "its not so" when I tell you the reasons many locals choose to live here and are proud of our community. I did say it isn't perfect... but, it's the most perfect place I've ever lived.

of course there many other places in Florida where environmental preservation is important. we're lucky to be in one of those places. (once again though, it ain't perfect - our county has come a long long way, but is still a tiny infant baby when it comes to overseeing development code, growth in the south end, etc.).
Toots, I don't think I phrased my reply well and I certainly don't refute the facts as you have stated above re: SoWal. MOF, I embrace them and that is the curiosity, the fact that community and all the features you mention can be found in many, many places where the costs are less and the densities of people are as well.

If you were to find a place that had all the qualities you describe, everything you like about SoWal, and was both less expensive and much more private in living space, would you move? :drool: