• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Re: New Fire in SoWal -- Sommerset Beach - Seagrove

I'm soooo very sorry to hear all this. So sad and I hope all calms down by this evening and fires don't start up again. I'll pray for lots of rain. This website is sooo precious, Kurt!

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider

Sorry that it was your cottage!

Yes ... so sorry for you and all others affected. :sosad: :sosad:

I'm soooo very sorry to hear all this. So sad and I hope all calms down by this evening and fires don't start up again. I'll pray for lots of rain. This website is sooo precious, Kurt!

No kidding. :love: :love:

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country

I live on Sugar Sand Lane behind Angelina's and let me tell you we were worried. Our backyard backs up to an empty lot, so we & workers from a construction crew were watering about 3 houses when the house 1 lot over from mine( house has a large deck on top of house) the fence & pool decking which is wood caught fire, then the lot next to our fence was burning.. I left my husband watering, grabbed the neighbors hose, but that was not enough, a couple of workers came with me and started using buckets to get water from the pool, I had to leave the smoke was too bad at that point, I just knew my house was going next, but somehow those guys were able to put out the fire. If you saw how big an area was on fire you would be shocked that they were able to put it out. The wind kept blowing in my direction it was just a matter of minutes before we were next. It was terrible knowing fire tricks were over at the Seagrove Bunglow's and could not get some over in our area. We are very fortunate that everything for us is okay, but I feel soo bad for the people behind us.

Glad you and your house are okay. I'm sure it's been a really stressful day. Take care.

jgtodd42

Beach Lover
May 8, 2007
Bumminham, Al & Seagrove

I live at Seagrove Highlands condo's across the street from the bungaloes that burned down. Couldn't turn onto Somerset Bridge Road, but sneaked around by turning at the car wash and weaving through the neighborhoods. No one here has been evacuated. Can't see but 3-4 damaged homes plus about 1/2 acre next door. They are not evacuating us. Hopefully it is all over. Wish we could get some rain!!!

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org

I live at Seagrove Highlands condo's across the street from the bungaloes that burned down. Couldn't turn onto Somerset Bridge Road, but sneaked around by turning at the car wash and weaving through the neighborhoods. No one here has been evacuated. Can't see but 3-4 damaged homes plus about 1/2 acre next door. They are not evacuating us. Hopefully it is all over. Wish we could get some rain!!!

:welcome: & glad to know you're okay!

groveral

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
birmingham

Thanks to SJ and the whole sowal family for the updates. I can't imagine not having sowal.com to know what is happening on 30A. Let's all pray for those who sustained loss and pray for some much needed rain.

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005

Thank you to all the brave firefighters-on the ground and in the air!

At 7:30 PM a firefighter is being put on a stretcher by EMS at The Bundalows of Seagrove.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org

Thank you to all the brave firefighters-on the ground and in the air!

At 7:30 PM a firefighter is being put on a stretcher by EMS at The Bundalows of Seagrove.

Yes, thank you for all your hard work & dedication!:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Sheila

SoWal Insider

Now quiet alnog 30-a. We were finally able to retrieve our car. Our fur babies are safe, our guests at Beachwood Villas are exhausted, I feel so bad for the folks that lost homes today. :sosad:

I'm glad folks checked in to let us know they were OK and to pass along valuable information to those that aren't here in body but in spirit.

God love all the firefighters, the Walton County sheriff's dept. and all the volunteers that pitched in to help contain a fire that could have been so much worse. Sadness for loss of property, joy that there was no loss of life.

jimmyp5

Beach Lover
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove

God love all the firefighters, the Walton County sheriff's dept. and all the volunteers that pitched in to help contain a fire that could have been so much worse. Sadness for loss of property, joy that there was no loss of life.

Hear hear, I heartily agree. It seemed like a tremendous effort by all involved.

And we're so grateful for this SoWal BB, to Kurt and all the concerned & caring posters ... thank you! Living less than 1/2 a mile west of the fire -- and I thought it was much closer at first -- both while I was still at work and after I got to the house, the board here was my eyes & ears.

Thank you all & rest well this evening.