• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Oh my God, now you are telling me my hair products are carcinogenic? You can have my Rene Furturer when you pry it from cold, tumor-addled hand. ;-)

I worked at a breast cancer center, and women -- smart, well-meaning women with the zeal of missionaries -- would come in on a regular basis with research and proof that milk/chicken/beef/hair dye/deodorant/antibacterial soap/vaccines/pesticides/copier toner/Judaism/alcohol/sushi/aluminum/soy definitively caused breast cancer and urge me to quit any and all of these things because my life depended on it.

One lady told me breast cancer was God's judgment upon those of us who did have children for selfish reasons. Well, there is good research, peer-reviewed, that shows women who never have children have higher rates of ductal carcinoma in situ, and women who have children and go on to breast feed them have even lower rates. Of course, fertility drugs also effect estrogen receptors, so sometimes you can't win for losing.

Judaism also has a strong correlation with breast cancer rates, but that is because Jewish women of eastern European descent are more likely to be carriers of a BRCA gene mutation that causes breast cancer whether no matter how organic your food or frizzy and unattractive your hair.

Other than those two 'causes' there were no peer reviewed scientific studies to prove any of these things cause cancer. If I believed all the anecdotal evidence, I'd be afraid to do anything but live wild in a cave or have prophylactic mastectomies.

With that said, working in that clinic did raise my awareness of food and agribusiness. I worry about pesticides, but not nearly as much as I worry about food. The hormones that go into animal and dairy products scare me, as does genetically modified food.

Being in New Orleans this week, I have remembered how wonderful it is to have access to a farmers market. It is so nice to be able to get rgh free milk, butter, fresh and hormone free eggs, fresh organic produce, free range chickens, and local honey.

I guess we all have to choose our battles, or be driven crazy worrying about all the possible dangers.

Last edited:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
I have a question for you all (or two)....

What is your skin? Isn't it the LARGEST organ in/on your body?

Why are pharma companies now using transdermal drug patches? What would be the use if nothing was absorbed through your skin? You didn't say that, but in regards to the various chemicals discussed, wouldn't even a reduction in the various chemicals & the levels of them in your products be pretty important?

Oh my God, now you are telling me my hair products are carcinogenic? You can have my Rene Furturer when you pry it from cold, tumor-addled hand. ;-)

I worked at a breast cancer center, and women -- smart, well-meaning women with the zeal of missionaries -- would come in on a regular basis with research and proof that milk/chicken/beef/hair dye/deodorant/antibacterial soap/vaccines/pesticides/copier toner/Judaism/alcohol/sushi/aluminum/soy definitively caused breast cancer and urge me to quit any and all of these things because my life depended on it.

One lady told me breast cancer was God's judgment upon those of us who did have children for selfish reasons. Well, there is good research, peer-reviewed, that shows women who never have children have higher rates of ductal carcinoma in situ, and women who have children and go on to breast feed them have even lower rates. Of course, fertility drugs also effect estrogen receptors, so sometimes you can't win for losing.

Judaism also has a strong correlation with breast cancer rates, but that is because Jewish women of eastern European descent are more likely to be carriers of a BRCA gene mutation that causes breast cancer whether no matter how organic your food or frizzy and unattractive your hair.

Other than those two 'causes' there were no peer reviewed scientific studies to prove any of these things cause cancer. If I believed all the anecdotal evidence, I'd be afraid to do anything but live wild in a cave or have prophylactic mastectomies.

With that said, working in that clinic did raise my awareness of food and agribusiness. I worry about pesticides, but not nearly as much as I worry about food. The hormones that go into animal and dairy products scare me, as does genetically modified food.

Being in New Orleans this week, I have remembered how wonderful it is to have access to a farmers market. It is so nice to be able to get rgh free milk, butter, fresh and hormone free eggs, fresh organic produce, free range chickens, and local honey.

I guess we all have to choose our battles, or be driven crazy worrying about all the possible dangers.

Last edited:

tuck

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005
I will print it out though, as you can't believe how many people come in complaining of rashes, and playing detective with the list might be fun.

How many people come in complaining of rashes? Somewhere in this long thread weren't strange conditions such as rashes a concern for the use of Dibram Naled and the pesticides that mosquito control uses? Questions need to be asked?

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Punzey,

You make a lot of sense. I have a question for you (or two)....

What is your skin? Isn't it the LARGEST organ in/on your body?

Why are pharma companies now using transdermal drug patches? What would be the use if nothing was absorbed through your skin? You didn't say that, but in regards to the various chemicals discussed, wouldn't even a reduction in the various chemicals & the levels of them in your products be pretty important?

I agree that things do absorb through your skin. I think it's perfectly within the realm of reason that Sodium Laurel Sulphate is a skin irritant, and is probably particularly bad for sensitive people. Personally, I use Cetaphyl for my face and Soap Peddler soap for my skin. I pick by battles, as I said... I have had excema in the past, so I'm careful...but shampoo has never bothered me.

I only wanted to make the point that there are so many people out there that will tell you that this or that causes disease X. You have to follow your gut and not be consumed with fear about everything. Hold your government accountable for the chemicals they spray, be involved, ask questions. If you are worried about breast cancer because of a family history or if you have nasty scabs on your scalp and your hair is falling out, then do your research. When you do that research, be healthily skeptical about where your evidence is coming from, and do what you feel is right for you. Everyone is going to have a different risk vs. sacrifice tolerance.

Working in health care, I saw a lot of stuff that made me view holistic medicine with a skeptical eye. I have seen women spend every cent they have a chelation therapy to resorb the deodorant aluminum salts from their systems to prevent the recurrence of cancer. They'd put their feet in an electro-charged footbath that would turn black after an hour. Two of four had metastatic disease within two years, which is way higher than the typical odds. I also had a few patients come to us after going to a very prominent holistic care center (you'd recognize the name) all in horrible shape with advanced disease. One was released and pronounced cancer free and when she sent us pictures of her breast and you could actually see where the tumor was puckering the skin. The holistic practitioner had told her that the puckered skin was normal. I had to tell this woman over the phone (she was in Arizona, I was in New Orleans) that her disease was to advanced to be treated and she would die. The woman was a prominent, beautiful RE agent from Phoenix, and had gone to the holistic treatment center because they told her they cured breast cancer all the time without surgery or chemo so she could keep her breasts and her hair. She paid them $80,000 of her own cash to kill her.

Skunky once had a pediatric patient with a devoted mother who was very concerned about protecting her child from pesticides and chemicals and meat. The mother took her child to live on an organic farm and they led a vegetarian lifestyle. The daughter came to Skunky with rickets. Worse, even after the doctors explained to the woman what was wrong with her daughter, and tried to explain to her what she modifications she could make to the girls diet to help her get better, she still refused to give the child any milk or sound substitutions until they were on the verge of calling child and family services.

Healthy skepticism, doing what you can without torturing yourself or worrying about too many things you can't control, and wearing deodorant in hot, crowded places...these are the keys to making the most of the days we have.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
You are very correct. I feel that if we were able to integrate the two sides of health care, we'd be a lot better off. However, I am also realistic enough to know that it's probably not going to happen anytime soon.

IF people went the holistic way for prevention and didn't wait until the last freaking minute and expect it to work QUICKLY & IMMEDIATELY, it wouldn't be seen as quackery as much. It works and is viable, but my personal experience is that when things get BAD.... a combo from an experienced practitioner is best OR going with allopathic medicine. We have a great MD that is working with my husband and he recommends what he KNOWS will work, whether it's a supplement (when it will be useful and successful) and/or drugs (when immediate relief is needed). He's very wise and the first MD that my husband has put faith in in 46 years.

Also, there is the whole spectrum mental/emotional issues that go into illness that aren't even able to be discussed here.... Skunky, don't start.....;-)

Thanks for your insights! They are so well-thought out and great!

BTW, the spray truck went down this end of 30-A at 9pm. We missed being out and about by 5 minutes. Truly glad I made it in before it passed. Sorry but having 3 young children, I don't play with things like that very well.

I agree that things do absorb through your skin. I think it's perfectly within the realm of reason that Sodium Laurel Sulphate is a skin irritant, and is probably particularly bad for sensitive people. Personally, I use Cetaphyl for my face and Soap Peddler soap for my skin. I pick by battles, as I said... I have had excema in the past, so I'm careful...but shampoo has never bothered me.

I only wanted to make the point that there are so many people out there that will tell you that this or that causes disease X. You have to follow your gut and not be consumed with fear about everything. Hold your government accountable for the chemicals they spray, be involved, ask questions. If you are worried about breast cancer because of a family history or if you have nasty scabs on your scalp and your hair is falling out, then do your research. When you do that research, be healthily skeptical about where your evidence is coming from, and do what you feel is right for you. Everyone is going to have a different risk vs. sacrifice tolerance.

Working in health care, I saw a lot of stuff that made me view holistic medicine with a skeptical eye. I have seen women spend every cent they have a chelation therapy to resorb the deodorant aluminum salts from their systems to prevent the recurrence of cancer. They'd put their feet in an electro-charged footbath that would turn black after an hour. Two of four had metastatic disease within two years, which is way higher than the typical odds. I also had a few patients come to us after going to a very prominent holistic care center (you'd recognize the name) all in horrible shape with advanced disease. One was released and pronounced cancer free and when she sent us pictures of her breast and you could actually see where the tumor was puckering the skin. The holistic practitioner had told her that the puckered skin was normal. I had to tell this woman over the phone (she was in Arizona, I was in New Orleans) that her disease was to advanced to be treated and she would die. The woman was a prominent, beautiful RE agent from Phoenix, and had gone to the holistic treatment center because they told her they cured breast cancer all the time without surgery or chemo so she could keep her breasts and her hair. She paid them $80,000 of her own cash to kill her.

Skunky once had a pediatric patient with a devoted mother who was very concerned about protecting her child from pesticides and chemicals and meat. The mother took her child to live on an organic farm and they led a vegetarian lifestyle. The daughter came to Skunky with rickets. Worse, even after the doctors explained to the woman what was wrong with her daughter, and tried to explain to her what she modifications she could make to the girls diet to help her get better, she still refused to give the child any milk or sound substitutions until they were on the verge of calling child and family services.

Healthy skepticism, doing what you can without torturing yourself or worrying about too many things you can't control, and wearing deodorant in hot, crowded places...these are the keys to making the most of the days we have.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org

There are idiots everywhere! :shock: Wow!

I was a vegetarian for 8 years, gained 25Lbs, thought I had ulcerative colitis and then realized that I was allergic to soy. :dunno: Luckily, I am not the type that thinks everyone should be a vegetarian and never believed my children should be. I now grudgingly eat chicken & turkey (free-range, of course!) and other than being a nursing mama who can't just diet however I want to, I don't have the health problems.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Hey Skunky, if you are in town, quickly run out to the street. The Poison Truck is passing your house about now. Maybe you can still catch it. I hear that if one follows closely behind the truck for the distance of 1000 meters, he never has to wear Meta-N,N-diethyl toluamide (known by a not as scary word -- DEET) again.

Does anyone want to explain to me why the Poison Truck is running when we haven't had standing water in a long time?

It is nice weather outside, and I had planned to keep my doors and windows open, but I guess I will have to close them off, turn on the a/c and burn some coal in the process as well as running up the cost of my power bill.

Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Hey Skunky, if you are in town, quickly run out to the street. The Poison Truck is passing your house about now. Maybe you can still catch it. I hear that if one follows closely behind the truck for the distance of 1000 meters, he never has to wear Meta-N,N-diethyl toluamide (known by a not as scary word -- DEET) again.

Does anyone want to explain to me why the Poison Truck is running when we haven't had standing water in a long time?

It is nice weather outside, and I had planned to keep my doors and windows open, but I guess I will have to close them off, turn on the a/c and burn some coal in the process as well as running up the cost of my power bill.

We used to run behind the mosquito truck for thrills in Houston when I was growing up. Didn't effect me, did it? :D I did love that smell.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
We used to run behind the mosquito truck for thrills in Houston when I was growing up. Didn't effect me, did it? :D I did love that smell.
...and I use to carry around Mercury in my pen top in the 9th grade. We traded Mercury like it was a hot commodity, and everyone wanted some because it was so cool. I'm not dead yet, but...