• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis
I was in Seagrove 2 weeks ago. We stayed in Pineapple Palace which is right across the street from Cowgirl Kitchen. On the beach there were 3 different chair venders. Not one removed their set ups everyday. In fact, 1 vendor set up chairs and umbrella in "hopes" that someone would rent them - and left them there the whole week. Finally on Tuesday (we got there Sat.) I asked the vendor if he could move ONE set so that we could be closer to our board walk. He seemed very put out. (I know it's hot and those things are heavy) We were also told NOT to move the umbrellas for safety reasons. They are "installed" in the sand with a drill so that they are safe. They didn't want us moving them and taking them down because we would not be able to "secure" them in the sand like they could. If one of the rental umbrellas goes flying down the beach in the wind and hits someone - he said they could be liable for injuries. Sorry for the ramble, I guess my point is, until the rental companies and the larger condo units that offer this service follows the rules, I think it will be hard to get visitors who rent private homes to do so.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Agree. It makes zero sense. Under the scenario you describe, where exactly is the renter supposed to move the stuff to? The big resorts have those white boxes on the beach where they store the stuff each evening. Those old-school wooden chairs the vendors use are HEAVY. I sure as hell am not going to move them and kill my beer buzz every evening (not to mention throwing out my back)

Problem is, renting by the day is MUCH more expensive than renting by the week. So what is one to do?
You could go to Grayton Beach and rent from Sam Wesley, of Grayton Beach Services. He removes his set-ups around 5pm daily. Since you rule out the option of paying more for daily set-ups, I guess the other option would be to buy cheap and light-weight chairs and umbrellas, or a towel and small umbrella. Try to simplify your set ups. When I go to the beach to actually hang out at the beach, as opposed to shooting photos, I will take either a chair and sometimes a small umbrella, and a bottle of water, or sometimes I just goop on the sunblock and take the sunblock and water. I leave the towel in the car to dry with when I get off the beach. As long as the sun isn't intense, I prefer the latter set up of nothing but water and sunscreen.

seaside2

Beach Fanatic
Apr 2, 2007
All over the place
It depends on the rental agency. As I pointed out earlier in this thread, the chair dudes set the chairs and umbrella up around 9 each morning and took it down no later than 5 (Greatly irritating Ms Seaside who wants to sit in the cair until after sunset while I bring her refreshments).

The company was beachchairs 4 u or something like that. Good guys, nice as can be, hard working, but insisted that this was the deal. Used to leave them all night, but.............. Wait a minute, been through all this before.:D

I think that going forward, I'll do my own chair and umbrella thing.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
This came to me from my email to TDC....

Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 4:23 PM
To: Jennifer Cox
Subject: RE: siteInquiry

We probably could not use volunteers because of the legality of the dates on the tags. We need to make sure who filled out the tag and date. As far as stuff left on the beach and a possibility of reporting it. We are aware that allot of stuff is still being left on the beach. Obviously we cannot cover the entire beach in one day but the beach clean-up teams do cover it during a typical week. It is an ongoing effort.

Kevin Hargett
Code Enforcement
850-622-0000

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006

We probably could not use volunteers because of the legality of the dates on the tags. We need to make sure who filled out the tag and date. As far as stuff left on the beach and a possibility of reporting it. We are aware that allot of stuff is still being left on the beach. Obviously we cannot cover the entire beach in one day but the beach clean-up teams do cover it during a typical week. It is an ongoing effort.

Kevin Hargett

Code Enforcement

850-622-0000

Also note that the tags include a Case number which I don't think a general citizen can assign.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Also note that the tags include a Case number which I don't think a general citizen can assign.
As mentioned earlier, only Code Enforcement and the Sheriff's Office have the authority to tag the items for legal removal, but nice try, Miss Kitty. I would love to get my hands on some tags.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal

Kevin Hargett

Code Enforcement

850-622-0000

Our "brilliant" sheriff could have placed the two pregnant deputies on light duty and had them assist in the tagging process instead of terminating them.....I'm sure that they would have agreed to that option......

I smell another costly lawsuit involving our tax dollars....:bang:

Caroling

Beach Fanatic
As mentioned earlier, only Code Enforcement and the Sheriff's Office have the authority to tag the items for legal removal, but nice try, Miss Kitty. I would love to get my hands on some tags.

We should create some Citizens tags. They would not be enforceable but they would be informational. Sorry I said "we", meaning lame excuse for not doing it myself. I like the sticker idea better. If they can litter the beach, I don't see why we can't do it too, in our own way. I would suggest that citizens notices be simple, saying what to do and citing the legal basis for the statement. Such as:

Remove items from beach at night (sunset to sunrise)
Obstructions on the Beach are unlawful
Walton County Code of Ordinances, Chapter 22, Article IV, Section 22-54 (g)

By the way, for the lady wanting to watch the sunset reclining on her chair with beverages served, I think that's lovely. She would move if she sees a turtle coming. And she would remove items when she left, with her (adoring) servant(s).

seaside2

Beach Fanatic
Apr 2, 2007
All over the place
Caroling,

Ms Seaside thinks so too. I am just the cabana boy (with certain limited rights LOL):rotfl: :rotfl:

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Our "brilliant" sheriff could have placed the two pregnant deputies on light duty and had them assist in the tagging process instead of terminating them.....I'm sure that they would have agreed to that option......

What a great idea! :clap:
I bet between the two of them they might even be able to cover more than one/seventh of the beach on a shift.