• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
With 800k acres of property in one of the 3 mega-states, St Joe will likely be around selling chunks of land here, exchanging for new land elsewhere, long after everyone on this board has had their ashes sprinkled. St Joe, is reacting to the business cycle.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
exactly right. And, that is why I get so angry with our local government officials. St Joe is watching out for St Joe...we need some leadership from the local level to watch out for Walton County.

If Growth Management laws had been followed properly, we would not have all these empty, unfinished condos and housing projects around here most of which were "jump started" by the cache of St Joe.

Now, St Joe will sell to "someone who is better able to manage a resort" and move on to the airport project...leaving in their wake some nice developments like WaterColor, but in the long run, leaving a very unstable situation.

I am not blaming St Joe--after all they are corporate creatures --that is their nature--I am blaming the local officials and all of us who do not demand more from the officials we elect.

It is frustrating:bang:

jlweathers

Beach Lover
May 2, 2007
Is the current amount of traffic to the airport really 1/2 of what it was in 2000?

no passenger traffic is down 3,000 total enplanements when comparing FYE 2006 to FYE 2000 (357,510 in 2000 to 354,949 in 2006) - can be found at http://www.pcairport.com/airportinfo_stats.htm and at least partially confirmed here http://haas.uwf.edu/tourism/archive/Airport/Airport_May07.pdf

Blatantly misstating facts in an op-ed piece to support your particular opinion is egregious.

i do recognize that google is difficult to use, but come on this lady is apparently a professor

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
She could be going by number of daily flights. Post-9/11, the airlines consolidated a larger number of small commuter jet flights into fewer flights with larger planes.

As for condescending, from other things she's written, her family has longtime Panhandle roots back to the early 1800s, and she's proud of that. Still has family in Marianna too.

jlweathers

Beach Lover
May 2, 2007
excellent point beachmouse...that is a possibility... but i don't buy it.

the general trend during the last few years for the airlines has actually been the introduction of smaller aircraft that are more fuel efficient & have fewer seats - an airplane's "load factor" or the percentage of seats which are filled during each flight is of paramount importance to operate successfully & consequently they parked larger aircraft & used smaller. with that being said...the aforementioned are generalities and may or may not be applicable to the PCB airport.

00seer00

Beach Lover
Oct 12, 2006
PCB
The "Airport" is the only arrow left in its quiver, they've got no other choice than to fight for it to the death.

That is one BIG ARROW. Looks like the fight is over. http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071010/20071010006151.html?.v=2

Do people realy think we will have the only unsuccessful International Airport in the USA? Do people realy believe that NO large Industry, involving technology, Shipping, manufacturing, Amusement, ect will be established around our New International Airport and Beaches? We will have no new people flying in to are area due to better rates and a more central location? St Joe has made allot of bad moves but the Airport will cover many sins.

00seer00

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
That is one BIG ARROW. Looks like the fight is over. http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071010/20071010006151.html?.v=2

Do people realy think we will have the only unsuccessful International Airport in the USA? Do people realy believe that NO large Industry, involving technology, Shipping, manufacturing, Amusement, ect will be established around our New International Airport and Beaches? We will have no new people flying in to are area due to better rates and a more central location? St Joe has made allot of bad moves but the Airport will cover many sins.

00seer00

Oh, I BELIEVE it will happen. Absolutely. These days I'm just less inclined to want it to be that way, and to have the area "discovered" by those outside the traditional visitors, trampled on, etc.

I do believe in the free market, but the more time I spend in SoWal the more I wish that it would remain our little (relatively) low-key piece of paradise. It is NOT what it was when Diane Roberts' family was settling in the Panhandle, and not even what it was five years ago, but the airport is just going to speed things up. I look around the rest of my home state and I wonder why we would want so much growth and industry in such a lovely place. I think that's really what Diane Roberts is saying. I would love for my property values to increase ... but really, the airport is important only to people who already are property owners. There is no great demand for it. St. Joe and the airport backers are hoping to create demand. There is a big difference.

I think eventually there WILL be a demand -- population growth guarantees it. But why start the process now? Because St. Joe wants to, that's why.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
and being the corporate creatures that they are, they create demand to make money...they do not really care about the long term impact on the land and the people.