• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

What do you think of the new blue signs being installed on 30-A?

• Love them!

Votes: 21 7.0%
  • Somewhat like them

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Neither like nor dislike them

Votes: 24 8.1%
  • Somewhat dislike them

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • They're horrid!

Votes: 210 70.5%

• Total voters

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Re: What are these things beside the road?

I just walked past the new sign for Watercolor. It is placed right smack in front of the Watercolor's own sign!:dunno:

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal

When I first heard of this project, I thought that consistent signange was a good idea. But dang! It's a huge sign for conveying so little information.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

There was consistent signage (at least IMO), and the wood signs had some charm.

Why exactly did we need the new ones? :dunno: If people were getting lost or were confused about their location, my suggestion would be better directions, maps, or street signs, not these gaudy blue markers.

My parents have only visited Sowal a total of 2x, yet know exactly where anything is that I am talking about on the phone via the easy landmarks of Alys Beach, Gulf Place, Seaside, and the flashing red lights at 395 and Grayton. :roll:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

They are popping up pretty quick headed east. The interesting thing is that it seems to be redefining parts of 30A already. For instance the Preserve at Grayton is no longer in Grayton and is currently located in Blue Mountain. :dunno:

2bohemians

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
www.searchthe30a.com

In our opinion, these signs are ridiculous. What was wrong with the signs that were already in place. They went with the whole charm of our beaches ... they blended and were soothing to the eyes. These new signs are giant and blue .... waaaaahhhh ... we want the old signs back. How can we get the oldies back?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

They are popping up pretty quick headed east. The interesting thing is that it seems to be redefining parts of 30A already. For instance the Preserve at Grayton is no longer in Grayton and is currently located in Blue Mountain. :dunno:

Good thing we paid a "local" company more because they knew the area :roll:.

30abob

Beach Lover
Aug 8, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach

IMG_0229a.JPG
IMG_0229a.jpg
IMG_0230a.jpg

The first shot of the completed sign is across from the west entrance to Draper Lake. The second is at Ed Walline Park, they had just finished pouring the concrete for the bases. (I think the underground portion will definitely hold up in a Hurricane) I'm sorry these aren't better, I was driving at the time.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

Why exactly did we need the new ones? :dunno: If people were getting lost or were confused about their location, my suggestion would be better directions, maps, or street signs, not these gaudy blue markers.
They are to provide continuity to the varied communities along 30A. (Strange, b/c I thought the people supposedly liked the "uniqueness" of the different developments.)

The name for the Preserve at Grayton has always been a weird one in my opinion because it is located in what I call Blue Mtn Beach.