• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

What do you think of the new blue signs being installed on 30-A?

• Love them!

Votes: 21 7.0%
  • Somewhat like them

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Neither like nor dislike them

Votes: 24 8.1%
  • Somewhat dislike them

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • They're horrid!

Votes: 210 70.5%

• Total voters

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Re: What are these things beside the road?

Didn't the old / previous signs already have continuity? Weren't they all the same design?

Yes, but they had fallen into disrepair. In addition some locations had crudely made signs. Check out the sign for alligator lake in Grayton. It is spray painted on the back of an old road sign.

2bohemians

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
www.searchthe30a.com

Yes, but they had fallen into disrepair. In addition some locations had crudely made signs. Check out the sign for alligator lake in Grayton. It is spray painted on the back of an old road sign.

We were unaware of this ... but still like the old school ones better ...

30abob

Beach Lover
Aug 8, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach

They are to provide continuity to the varied communities along 30A. (Strange, b/c I thought the people supposedly liked the "uniqueness" of the different developments.)

The name for the Preserve at Grayton has always been a weird one in my opinion because it is located in what I call Blue Mtn Beach.

I thought the same thing. But based on the placement of the new signs I think that Preserve Place, The Preserve, Sanctuary At Redfish and Sanctuary by the Sea have been relegated to "No Man's Land." The new signs will be to the West of Preserve Place for Blue Mountain Beach and to the East of Sanctuary by the Sea for Grayton Beach. Also, the completed sign at Draper Lake is for Santa Rosa Beach, which did not have a sign previously. Maybe the lines are being re-drawn?

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove

This makes the "Beaches of South Walton" sign I saw last fall on the wall of the No Name Saloon in Park City, UT a major collector's item. Time to go out there and steal it back!

Terp22

Beach Comber
Sep 10, 2007

You would have to ask the TDC about why they felt these signs were needed. All that I know is they taged onto the Timpoochee project and wanted the same signs as they had on the beaches. I like the old wooden ones too-they had character. I think they went with these because they are able to sustain very high big storm winds.
It would have been nice if they would have reached out to the community and ask for opinions.
On the Timpoochee project at least WC went to professionals and they did involve some of us local citizens. Our concern has always been safety and that's the only thing we wanted for the path. Hopefully the new crosswalks and other markings will make a difference.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

I thought the same thing. But based on the placement of the new signs I think that Preserve Place, The Preserve, Sanctuary At Redfish and Sanctuary by the Sea have been relegated to "No Man's Land." The new signs will be to the West of Preserve Place for Blue Mountain Beach and to the East of Sanctuary by the Sea for Grayton Beach. Also, the completed sign at Draper Lake is for Santa Rosa Beach, which did not have a sign previously. Maybe the lines are being re-drawn?

Welcome to Limbo. :funn:

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach

When they enacted the sign ordinance for SoWal, I wrote a letter to the editor. I had recently buried 4 family members, and had to purchase head stones for their graves. The sign ordinance requirements looked to me like headstones. I personally don't enjoy driving around looking at a community filled with headstones! I suppose it represents what is within! I met the manager at Publix in SanDestin, when he moved here for the job, he drove by the store 3 times before he saw the sign! I'm still waiting for someone to have enough courage to put on their sign, "Here lies..... Born..... Died??????"!!!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

I don't mind most of the sign rules and regs, as I like not seeing a skyline of signage. IMO these garish blue ones are unnecessary and are quite unattractive. If signs were in disrepair, they should have just been replaced.

If people have that much trouble navigating or seeing something they shouldn't be driving a car! I am famous for my ability to get lost and I never had a problem with any of the current signs. :dunno:

As I looked at the multiple signs for Watercolor etc., I wondered if they will take the old ones down? If not, sheetload of clutter on the side of the roads!

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach

The new signs are part of the new Scenic designation for 30-A; I believe there are requirements for a comprehensive design for all signage along the scenic corridor. As with anything change is difficult and judgments will be made positive and negative. I personally think they are a little big for the purpose but otherwise are a positive element to designate each town and in a short while will blend in like everything else new.

I am glad you liked the old signs, I designed them and put them in the ground 15 or so years ago. As an officer of the Scenic-30 A Business association I convinced the TDC to pay for them if we came up with a design and placed them. I felt it was important to go ahead and call Scenic 30-A a Scenic road in the hopes it would eventually become one; why not give everyone the perception it was? Who cares if it really did not have the designation as long as everyone perceived it was. In my mind it has always been one from the first time I road down it going surfing one day in 1979.

In those days it was just called C-30A, and none of the communities had a sign showing borders; the only town that had signs was Seaside. I called all the old timers to find out what the actual borders were and started the process. Seacrest was named by community members who lived there because that area had no historical name. I originally placed the Seagrove signs next to Seaside ending next to the Seagrove Villa's where the original Grove stopped (Cube McGee's development) but before long an unnamed Realtor moved it much further east into "New Seagrove" closer to Eastern Lake; from that point on everything east of the Wheel House Restaurant up to Eastern lake became Seagrove. Everyone still makes a designation between "Old Seagrove" and "New Seagrove" when they are giving directions.

Due to the efforts of Claire Bannerman and many dedicated folks our beloved road has been awarded a scenic designation; these new signs are a part of that designation. It something to be very proud of.

In our opinion, these signs are ridiculous. What was wrong with the signs that were already in place. They went with the whole charm of our beaches ... they blended and were soothing to the eyes. These new signs are giant and blue .... waaaaahhhh ... we want the old signs back. How can we get the oldies back?