• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

What do you think of the new blue signs being installed on 30-A?

• Love them!

Votes: 21 7.0%
  • Somewhat like them

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Neither like nor dislike them

Votes: 24 8.1%
  • Somewhat dislike them

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • They're horrid!

Votes: 210 70.5%

• Total voters

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Re: What are these things beside the road?

...and last night, the BCC voted to extend the Scenic Corridor to include ChurchHill Bayou Road, South Church St and Chat Holley Rd. I believe they extended the designation for the north south connector roads, in the December meeting.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Re: New signs on 30A designating communities [title changed]

While I like the old wooden signs much better than the new ones, it is really the "scenic corridor" designation for Hwy 98 that upsets me. It is a major artery for gosh sake and anything but scenic at this point in time. Try and find Ace Hardware, for instance, and if you are elderly, I'll guarantee you'll have a problem. I passed it up this week because of heavy traffic and I've been there many times. Signage of the size and dimensions for 98 are rediculous IMO. I really feel 98 has outgrown its "scenic corridor" designation. By the same token, I am for designation of 30A and the other roads as "scenic corridors". They fit the designation and are, indeed, scenic. Not so for Hwy 98.

greenroomsurfer

Beach Fanatic
Nov 24, 2006
Where Free Speech Is Allowed

Hey the new signs remind me of the bus stops aroun Disneyland, WoooHooo!!!!! With all the artist around here ya think they could have come up with better design. They will give the tourist another reason to rubberneck on 30-Hay.:dunno::wave::banging:

up4golf

Beach Lover
Nov 23, 2007

signs,signs everwhere signs. tdc has more money than sense. lets buy chris titus a personal car.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach

While I like the old wooden signs much better than the new ones, it is really the "scenic corridor" designation for Hwy 98 that upsets me. It is a major artery for gosh sake and anything but scenic at this point in time. Try and find Ace Hardware, for instance, and if you are elderly, I'll guarantee you'll have a problem. I passed it up this week because of heavy traffic and I've been there many times. Signage of the size and dimensions for 98 are rediculous IMO. I really feel 98 has outgrown its "scenic corridor" designation. By the same token, I am for designation of 30A and the other roads as "scenic corridors". They fit the designation and are, indeed, scenic. Not so for Hwy 98.

:clap::clap::clap:

Sea Sothebys

Beach Lover
Dec 19, 2007
SRB, FL

From my days on the Arts and Culture Committee for the TDC, I remember the designs came from a big agency in some big city. It always seemed backward to me to support local artists through the Artist of the Year program, but not supporting commercial artists. The material used is an odd choice. The signs do not have continuity from the environment. It simply irritates me: Big agency mentality vs. Small agency knowing their market-- and of course, the executives who determine who is best suited for the job.

5thGenFlo

Beach Lover
Dec 18, 2007
Nashville, TN

It saddens me to see the new signs. They look like the bus stop signs in Old Key West at Disney World in Orlando. I thought people always enjoyed the subtle approach to each community as they'd wind down scenic highway 30-A. The new community signs will now jump out at them and announce their presence with a strong standardized appearance. Unfortunately, I think the signs will help serve to homogenize the Beaches of South Walton and make people feel like they are on vacation, rather than at home on their beach. I'm afraid that when all the homogenization is complete, along with all the new construction that looks like any other community showcased in the magazine Coastal Living, the Beaches of South Walton will have lost a good deal of its charm and individual beauty that sets it apart from other coastal communities. I'm afraid it will become just another beach zone at Disney, where the people are suppose to be nice, not genuine and the venues run like clockwork instead of scattered like surprises down 30-A. I hope this doesn't happen.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach

Still, as I understand it, the signs have to conform with the Sign Ordinance, and be reviewed by a board before approved. What are you to do?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

How long before the first SoWal sticker goes on one?

Also has anyone noticed that all of the wooden signs have disappeared over night. Whoever did this is mean, I was waiting for this weekend to "claim" mine.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach

Part of what makes our county unique is we don't have huge signs. We must have strict guidelines for signage otherwise we will be overloaded with billboards and over-sized signs like most everywhere else. Business's don't need a big sign to be successful, they need to build business through efficiency, customer service, building word of mouth and using Sowal of course. Small works fine plain and simple.

I can list hundred's of business's in South Walton that have been successful for years and new ones that are already successful with small signs. A perfect example is the new restaurant, Fire. They are located off the Grayton road, hidden behind Frank's Cash and Carry and their sign is only about 3' by 3'. They have great food and worked very hard in a very short time to build a very devoted following. I have no doubt they will be around for a long time and they will be because they deserve it not because of a sign.

If you do the right thing, people will find you. I am sick of people saying on Hwy. 98 the business's need bigger signs. It takes hard work to make a business successful, not a sign. Hwy 98 is a main corridor anyway; if you can't make it on 98 than you have a problem.

In this age of GPS, INTERNET, slow speed limits through business areas etc. Anyone who can't find a location is in a coma, not elderly. And besides, being elderly does not automatically make you predisposed to getting lost. I have plenty of young friends who have been lost for years.

And, let's accept the fact that 98 is a scenic corridor plain and simple. At least half of Hwy 98 through Walton county is bordered by state park and always will be. The areas bordering the whole road behind the developed areas are part of a green-way that deer and other animals use to move east to west. Let's hope 98 never outgrows it's "scenic corridor" designation; if it does it might be time to move on to the next place for me.

While I like the old wooden signs much better than the new ones, it is really the "scenic corridor" designation for Hwy 98 that upsets me. It is a major artery for gosh sake and anything but scenic at this point in time. Try and find Ace Hardware, for instance, and if you are elderly, I'll guarantee you'll have a problem. I passed it up this week because of heavy traffic and I've been there many times. Signage of the size and dimensions for 98 are ridiculous IMO. I really feel 98 has outgrown its "scenic corridor" designation. By the same token, I am for designation of 30A and the other roads as "scenic corridors". They fit the designation and are, indeed, scenic. Not so for Hwy 98.