• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

What do you think of the new blue signs being installed on 30-A?

• Love them!

Votes: 21 7.0%
  • Somewhat like them

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Neither like nor dislike them

Votes: 24 8.1%
  • Somewhat dislike them

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • They're horrid!

Votes: 210 70.5%

• Total voters

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Re: What are these things beside the road?

I too dislike these signs. Just saw the one for Blue Mt. The blue is garish IMO. Why could they have not at least kept to the Emerald Green of our beautiful water.....the wooden ones were so much better. These are too big, too blue, and too commercial looking.

the unique-ness of our area is quickly disappearing....:bang:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

The blue signs don't bother me on the beach, but their color and shape seem very out of place on the road and I don't think they are as attractive as either the old signs they replace or the individual signs of areas like Watercolor and Alys beach.

What exactly is the deal w/ the scenic highway designation? At one point there was a thread and meetings about it, but haven't heard anything more or gotten more info on it. :dunno:

Seagrovedude

Beach Lover
May 30, 2006

These big (ugly, in my opinion) signs seem to be in violation of the 30a sign restrictions. Is there some way that the TDC gets around the rules that everyone else must follow?

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach

These signs are a continuance of the signs they use at all SoWal county offices as I see. This design was apparently approved some time ago. Mother used to say, "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

The new signs are part of the new Scenic designation for 30-A; I believe there are requirements for a comprehensive design for all signage along the scenic corridor. As with anything change is difficult and judgments will be made positive and negative. I personally think they are a little big for the purpose but otherwise are a positive element to designate each town and in a short while will blend in like everything else new.

I am glad you liked the old signs, I designed them and put them in the ground 15 or so years ago. As an officer of the Scenic-30 A Business association I convinced the TDC to pay for them if we came up with a design and placed them. I felt it was important to go ahead and call Scenic 30-A a Scenic road in the hopes it would eventually become one; why not give everyone the perception it was? Who cares if it really did not have the designation as long as everyone perceived it was. In my mind it has always been one from the first time I road down it going surfing one day in 1979.

In those days it was just called C-30A, and none of the communities had a sign showing borders; the only town that had signs was Seaside. I called all the old timers to find out what the actual borders were and started the process. Seacrest was named by community members who lived there because that area had no historical name. I originally placed the Seagrove signs next to Seaside ending next to the Seagrove Villa's where the original Grove stopped (Cube McGee's development) but before long an unnamed Realtor moved it much further east into "New Seagrove" closer to Eastern Lake; from that point on everything east of the Wheel House Restaurant up to Eastern lake became Seagrove. Everyone still makes a designation between "Old Seagrove" and "New Seagrove" when they are giving directions.

Due to the efforts of Claire Bannerman and many dedicated folks our beloved road has been awarded a scenic designation; these new signs are a part of that designation. It something to be very proud of.

thanks for the historical info, and new scenic designation status. It really is progress... :clap: surely we can adapt to new signage along scenic 30a.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005

I'm driving to work this morning and I notice one of the new signs "Dune Allen" placed in Beach Highlands. What's with this?
Technically it's placed on the south side of 30A before Hilltop drive which is located in Beach Highlands.

Am I right? :dunno: