• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

futurebeachbum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Snellsburg, GA
www.myfloridacottage.com
Here's an interesting Article.

Apparently, the school boards of 11 counties in Florida have passed resolutions against the imposition of the teaching of evolution in their curriculums.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Never mind. Here's the article from the [ame="http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Taylor+County+School+District%22+evolution&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a"]Herald-Tribune[/ame].

Why does this have to be such a bizarre, unintelligent, emotional debate? Stick to the ever-lovin' facts, and your butt is covered as an educator, whether you're teaching the theory of evolution, the theory of intelligent design, the Big Bang theory, or strict creationism (which suggests that the world is flat and has four literal corners.)

If I had kids, I would want them to know all of them. Intelligent design has holes in it that its adherents fill with faith. Evolution--there has been no evidence of a Missing Link (and the link we're missing is a pretty big one) so its adherents have quite a bit of their own faith. A theist science teacher can easily show what we know for a fact about evolution without ever teaching the kids that humans did evolve from the apes. There is plenty of evidence for evolution within the species without making a leap to evolution of the species.

Likewise it is easy enough for an atheist teacher to point out how perfectly the universe functions. It is no leap of faith to recognize that the universe has an intelligent design, whether that comes of a designer or if it has evolved that way.

Until we have a scientifically-proven LAW, the kids need to know the theories if only to know why none of them are laws. Maybe one of the little darlings will figure it out someday.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I personally think that the letter here should be forwarded.
I am writing you with much concern after having read of your hearing to decide whether the alternative theory of Intelligent Design should be taught along with the theory of Evolution. I think we can all agree that it is important for students to hear multiple viewpoints so they can choose for themselves the theory that makes the most sense to them. I am concerned, however, that students will only hear one theory of Intelligent Design.

Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster.
This was even discussed at the American Academy Of Religion last year.....link here

Last edited:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Never mind. Here's the article from the Herald-Tribune.

Why does this have to be such a bizarre, unintelligent, emotional debate? Stick to the ever-lovin' facts, and your butt is covered as an educator, whether you're teaching the theory of evolution, the theory of intelligent design, the Big Bang theory, or strict creationism (which suggests that the world is flat and has four literal corners.)

If I had kids, I would want them to know all of them. Intelligent design has holes in it that its adherents fill with faith. Evolution--there has been no evidence of a Missing Link (and the link we're missing is a pretty big one) so its adherents have quite a bit of their own faith. A theist science teacher can easily show what we know for a fact about evolution without ever teaching the kids that humans did evolve from the apes. There is plenty of evidence for evolution within the species without making a leap to evolution of the species.

Likewise it is easy enough for an atheist teacher to point out how perfectly the universe functions. It is no leap of faith to recognize that the universe has an intelligent design, whether that comes of a designer or if it has evolved that way.

Until we have a scientifically-proven LAW, the kids need to know the theories if only to know why none of them are laws. Maybe one of the little darlings will figure it out someday.

But the difference here is between science and faith. Evolution is a theory, not a law, but there is enough scientific evidence that it qualifies as an actual scientific theory. Intelligent Design is an IDEA -- much like the idea of the flying spaghetti monster, or the parable of Anansi the spider and his sons helping create the moon. Now, I happen to have faith that some level of intelligent design actually took place, but it is faith, not science. Science belongs in science classes, and religion belongs in religion classes.

My son goes to an Episcopal school and they teach evolution. In religion class they learn the Bible. Public schools of course cannot operate this way, but I see no problem with teaching the gaps in the theory of evolution, and the fact that we have no idea what may have caused the big bang or what started everything in the first place. Citing ID or the flying spaghetti monster as possibilities or "ideas" of where it all started is fine. But ID is not science. I don't understand why it is so hard to make the distinction.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
But the difference here is between science and faith. Evolution is a theory, not a law, but there is enough scientific evidence that it qualifies as an actual scientific theory. Intelligent Design is an IDEA -- much like the idea of the flying spaghetti monster, or the parable of Anansi the spider and his sons helping create the moon. Now, I happen to have faith that some level of intelligent design actually took place, but it is faith, not science. Science belongs in science classes, and religion belongs in religion classes.

My son goes to an Episcopal school and they teach evolution. In religion class they learn the Bible. Public schools of course cannot operate this way, but I see no problem with teaching the gaps in the theory of evolution, and the fact that we have no idea what may have caused the big bang or what started everything in the first place. Citing ID or the flying spaghetti monster as possibilities or "ideas" of where it all started is fine. But ID is not science. I don't understand why it is so hard to make the distinction.

Excellent post.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA

Good point. Since my high school avoided the problem altogether, I wasn't faced with the problem until my philosophy classes in college...

...where we would have thrown anyone out on his ear who compared ID with the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Anansi the Spider. Non sequitur...