• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mf

Banned
May 14, 2006
we don't live in a city and we don't live in an amusement park. i think the shuttle is a far fetched dream.

We do have a traffic problem though and, like many cities and amusement parks, tourism is the primary industry here.

destinscuba

Beach Lover
May 9, 2007
on Eastern Lake
I think it could be a great idea if executed properly, but one of the issues I wonder about is the narrowness of 30A. Would there be enough spots to create a shoulder for the buses to pull over to? Otherwise you would have the bus stopping traffic every time it made a stop, and that would be extremely annoying. Also, how cooperative would Rosemary, Seaside, WaterColor etc. be, given the private/public beach issues that have come up lately?

Yes, currently there aren't many locations where the buses could pull over to let people on/off, but 30A has a 100' right of way and the road in most locations is just +/- 24' wide and then there's the bike path taking up part of one of the shoulders.

I would imagine that if there was a bus system it would drop the beach goers off at the "regional" beach accesses to go to the beach, keeping the neighborhood and community accesses as private as possible.

up4golf

Beach Lover
Nov 23, 2007
We do have a traffic problem though and, like many cities and amusement parks, tourism is the primary industry here.
our traffic problem compared to the traffic where most of our tourists come from is undetectable to them. we are spoiled if we believe 30a has a traffic problem, most businesses would say we don't have enough traffic especially 9 months of the year.

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Here is a novel idea: Parking Tickets.

Instead of WCSO writing all of us traffic citations for nonsense, how about the county enacts parking violations, maybe start with $5 or so. Write people up on 30-A and/or surrounding areas, put .25 meters at the beach access for tourists, residents can buy a low cost permit for the year.

When all of these tourists come to local events and park on our lawns, they will be fined a fee. If it is done correctly, the fee will be enforced and we will generate revenue for the county, not from all of us who work hard, or try to look like we do.

This money can fund a shuttle for those of us who drink when we dine and we do not have to worry about blowing a .08...:blush:

Food, or drink, for thought...

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Obviously people would need to limit their "luggage" but IMO people who need freaking sherpas to get to the beach are not the most likely to use public transportation anyway
:rotfl:

Is there a need for a llama business during the summer. :dunno:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Here is a novel idea: Parking Tickets.

Instead of WCSO writing all of us traffic citations for nonsense, how about the county enacts parking violations, maybe start with $5 or so. Write people up on 30-A and/or surrounding areas, put .25 meters at the beach access for tourists, residents can buy a low cost permit for the year.

When all of these tourists come to local events and park on our lawns, they will be fined a fee. If it is done correctly, the fee will be enforced and we will generate revenue for the county, not from all of us who work hard, or try to look like we do.

This money can fund a shuttle for those of us who drink when we dine and we do not have to worry about blowing a .08...:blush:

Food, or drink, for thought...

Better yet put up a tow sign on your lawn (you can always attach it to post and remove it during slower time). Then you get a nice little kick back from the tow truck driver. With the number of idiots who leave their driving skills at home when they go on vacation it could offset gas prices, or pay them completely.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I think LRT would be an excellent idea for the tri county area. They have the same system in Portland ,Oregon and it is a huge hit not to mention that it is heavily used and exquisitely on time.
It's a pity SJ has his head up his proverbial 30-A a$$. The world does not revolve around Santa Rosa beach and it would be nice to reduce ones carbon footprint and still have the facility of commuting to the more densely populated areas.
I say a red line from Ft walton to PFN and a blue line that goes down 30-A with a transit station at Inlet beach.

And you want the $100,000,000+ for the train to come from where? Also, you include a blue line for the length of 30A, but what happens when the red line drops you off in PC, PCB, or Ft Walton? Do you call a cab to commute locally? I like the idea of saving fuel, and burning less carbon. However, creating a working mass-transit system requires having infrastructure in place, so that people can get to and from the train stops, and commute locally, by connected transits of other forms. Simply building a two way train doesn't solve the problem. Also, I'm not sure how it helps anyone, running only that length. People in PC and Ft Walton won't come to 30A to shop, and I don't think enough people in SRB go to Ft Walton or PCB enough to warrant the costs of a train-plus system. If Walton County was really interested in a mass transit system, it would be linking SoWal to NoWal, where all of the employees will be coming from in the near future. Just my two proverbial @$$ cents worth. :wave:

dsilvar

Beach Fanatic
Jan 12, 2006
Miramar beach
And you want the $100,000,000+ for the train to come from where? Also, you include a blue line for the length of 30A, but what happens when the red line drops you off in PC, PCB, or Ft Walton? Do you call a cab to commute locally? I like the idea of saving fuel, and burning less carbon. However, creating a working mass-transit system requires having infrastructure in place, so that people can get to and from the train stops, and commute locally, by connected transits of other forms. Simply building a two way train doesn't solve the problem. Also, I'm not sure how it helps anyone, running only that length. People in PC and Ft Walton won't come to 30A to shop, and I don't think enough people in SRB go to Ft Walton or PCB enough to warrant the costs of a train-plus system. If Walton County was really interested in a mass transit system, it would be linking SoWal to NoWal, where all of the employees will be coming from in the near future. Just my two proverbial @$$ cents worth. :wave:
Happy Valentines Day..SJ!!:love:..... . .love you man.