• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Re: Seaside - NOT Welcome:Redux

I saw the same group. Along with some small orange cones.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

I am taking the Zen approach - no matter where they put the post sign a SUV will run it over! :D

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

More like the problem creater shall be the problem solver!

They can't park or drive them, so the issue will be resolved soon enough!

I reached Nirvana watching a Hummer drive from Dune Allen to Blue Mountain 2' over the center line. Those signs have no chance once the season begins! :rofl:

Beach Bimmer

Beach Fanatic
May 2, 2006
South Walton

didn't overhear their conversation, but they seemed to be discussing possible placement, moving the post to several positions. there were what looked like policemen (with badges) and possibly firemen (?? not sure of badges) plus seaside residents.

They had a SWFD fire truck in Seaside last week, looked like they were testing how well it could make it around corners and through the streets...

I had a friend down last weekend looking at property in the area. She picked up a Seaside Times and read the letters to the editor, etc. Was so turned off by all of the "unwelcome" type publicity decided against looking any further in the Seaside/Seagrove area. She felt their money could be better spent in a more friendly atmosphere.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com

I had a friend down last weekend looking at property in the area. She picked up a Seaside Times and read the letters to the editor, etc. Was so turned off by all of the "unwelcome" type publicity decided against looking any further in the Seaside/Seagrove area. She felt their money could be better spent in a more friendly atmosphere.

Your friend may have been a client I was working with. Decided that PC was a safer bet due to the "Private Beach" issues. They purchased in PC.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove

We all knew this was coming. The other half is the folks who decide to vacation elsewhere, not to risk a confrontation with the sheriff on what was supposed to be a laid-back beach vacation.

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati

this reminds me so much of my sister's situation on nantucket. many of those who own homes there constantly bemoan the invasion of tourists and "day-trippers" (even though the vast majority of owners were once one or the other when they first came to the island). they all love their shops and wonderful restaurants, but would like the tourists and rabble to go away so that they could be enjoyed in peace. there is a complete disconnect for them that without the tourists, there would be no wonderful shops and restaurants because the full-time and (mostly) part-time islanders could not possibly support all of the businesses there.

in seaside, those who are now homeowners and are advocating the closing off of beaches, streets, etc., probably have forgotten what drew them there in the first place. and now they want to change seaside into a quasi-gated community - something it never was planned to be. it really is too bad - seaside has always been such a special place.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove

in seaside, those who are now homeowners and are advocating the closing off of beaches, streets, etc., probably have forgotten what drew them there in the first place. and now they want to change seaside into a quasi-gated community - something it never was planned to be. it really is too bad - seaside has always been such a special place.

Remember, Seaside was the first New Urban development. At one point in the initial planning discussions with DPZ, they were trying to decide whether 30A should run through it or around it. They decided it needed to be open. You can see the DPZ influence in Rosemary and Alys, which are laid out the same way by the same planners. Ultimately, those 3 can never completely become gated in the way that Watersound is. But the owners can sure make then unpleasant to visit, if they choose to be that way.