• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
This is just my understanding of the issue and I could be wrong:D

The only difference is instead of teaching what they have called, "Scientific Theory" will now be called "Scientific Theory of Evolution." They added the term "Evolution." Which as one school board member pointed out, "Now we have to buy new books." What they have been teaching doesn't change, just what they call it.:dunno:

I caught the new book comment. But since the same teaching has been in the Sunshine State Standards for quite a while, I am not understanding why. I also do not understand how someone can take a stand against the extremist on Blithe Spirit, yet object to Evolution being taught a month later?

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I caught the new book comment. But since the same teaching has been in the Sunshine State Standards for quite a while, I am not understanding why. I also do not understand how someone can take a stand against the extremist on Blithe Spirit, yet object to Evolution being taught a month later?

I think it's just a "hot-button" word, that people latch onto. It arouses emotion.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
elgord - I understood the theory of evolution to be more than theory since it contains a great deal of scientifically proven facts, or at least more than "theoretical" data. not exactly circumstantial since it is science based. but, I do understand your point - let's take what we can get and educate kids.

yes, the definition of theory certainly applies. I guess its the interpretation of "theory" as it applies to evolution that is commonly misunderstood or misconstrued by others: i.e., evolution is only a theory and cannot be proven. when we know that facts are involved here. many many facts.

A fact is something that is supported by unmistakeable evidence. For example, the Grand Canyon cuts through layers of different kinds of rock, such as the Coconino sandstone, Hermit shale, and Redwall limestone. These rock layers often contain fossils that are found only in certain layers. Those are the facts. It is a fact is that fossil skulls have been found that are intermediate in appearance between humans and modern apes. It is a fact that fossils have been found that are clearly intermediate in appearance between dinosaurs and birds.

a theory can be good, bad, indifferent. let's hope the schools know what a scientific theory actually means.
As you say :wave: and the Theory of Evolution is the best science has to offer atm.
Whatever the phrase or word you want to use to describe evolution, the gist of Hiassen's column is that by refusing to teach it, you look like idiots!

Whatever your personal beliefs or doubts may be, evolution is still an important part of the global science curriculum.

It may not have concrete proof, it may be disproved or radically altered someday, but that is true of many topics in many disciplines. Part of the education process is being introduced to a variety of ideas and developing the skills to think critically and question ideas both new and accepted.

Banning any books, plays, and ideas you don't believe in is NOT the road to a good education!
I coudn't agree more and this next may be splitting hairs but...I don't see how the Theory of Evolution can be proven using the scientific method. Teaching it as fact would inhibit scientific inquiry -why look for answers when one already knows everything? Scientific Laws such as Boyle's Law are facts. I think this is all what NoHall was saying originally. Simply to treat it as what it is - a very likely scenario given what we know right now- rather than 2+2=4. I took it as fact (wrongly) when learning it in early elementary school though it never really interfered with my religious beliefs at the time. We humans are good at holding contradictive thoughts and feelings. I don't think I have a solipsistic pov, but I know very little. I had a response I felt better about but it got bleeped into the aether.

buster

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2006
SoWal
About the time I learned the truth about Santa Claus I figured out fossils were more tangible than stories about all the animals on earth aboard a boat. So what do I believe? Maybe I believe in GOD but that religion is silly. Kids are pretty smart and many are smarter than adults who have "seen" the truth.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
As you say :wave: and the Theory of Evolution is the best science has to offer atm.

I coudn't agree more and this next may be splitting hairs but...I don't see how the Theory of Evolution can be proven using the scientific method. Teaching it as fact would inhibit scientific inquiry -why look for answers when one already knows everything? Scientific Laws such as Boyle's Law are facts. I think this is all what NoHall was saying originally. Simply to treat it as what it is - a very likely scenario given what we know right now- rather than 2+2=4. I took it as fact (wrongly) when learning it in early elementary school though it never really interfered with my religious beliefs at the time. We humans are good at holding contradictive thoughts and feelings. I don't think I have a solipsistic pov, but I know very little. I had a response I felt better about but it got bleeped into the aether.

hate it when that happens!

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA

Who are you referring to?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
About the time I learned the truth about Santa Claus I figured out fossils were more tangible than stories about all the animals on earth aboard a boat. So what do I believe? Maybe I believe in GOD but that religion is silly. Kids are pretty smart and many are smarter than adults who have "seen" the truth.

you caught on fairly quickly. took me a lot longer to figure out the religion thing. it was taught as fact. very much like brainwashing. the bible was actually written by God through holy men. evolution was taught too - but not necessarily fact. okay, I'm a little slow.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
you caught on fairly quickly. took me a lot longer to figure out the religion thing. it was taught as fact. very much like brainwashing. the bible was actually written by God through holy men. evolution was taught too - but not necessarily fact. okay, I'm a little slow.

No, you're not. Anyone who can use "cat butt" to describe an unsavory part of the political process is not slow.:D

In fact, I think "cat butt" should be our word of the day. Like, "This weather is making this one "cat butt" kinda of day.

BIGDOG

Banned
Feb 10, 2008
Good point. Since my high school avoided the problem altogether, I wasn't faced with the problem until my philosophy classes in college...

...where we would have thrown anyone out on his ear who compared ID with the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Anansi the Spider. Non sequitur...

We learned the creation theories of lots of different cultures in sociology class. ID would have fit into that curriculum. It does not, however, fit into a science curriculum.