• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Yippie,

You began this tread (Mar 9) stating that in 8 days (Mar 17) you were going to 'basically' lose your home...what's going to happen on Monday then?

Well, I was a day off. At exactly 12:01am March 16th, there is no longer any insurance on the house.

I don't know what will happen on Monday.

If only the builder would have stepped up to the plate and do the right thing, fixed the problems their defects caused, or even attempted to help me get some satisfaction from their liability insurance company, I would not be in this mess.

Small update - Mr. Brown from channel 13 has attempted to reach the builder several times, but the builder will not take or return his calls.

I have heard from a reporter with the Washington Post, a Gannet Paper and have heard from Readers Digest. And one local paper. There are no guarantees that a story would ever be run, but they are interested enough in speaking to me.

This should not happen to anyone for any reason. I would never wish the emotional and physical pain this has caused on anyone.

Thank you all for being there with your help and suggestions. I have paid attention to all of them.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Well, I was a day off. At exactly 12:01am March 16th, there is no longer any insurance on the house.

I don't know what will happen on Monday.

Unless you've paid your mortgage off, it's usually a requirement of your mortgage contract to have the home insured for at least the balance of your note.

Have you talked to the bank/servicer of your loan about the insurance problem?

(I'm hoping you get the chance to tell your story to the press--and have it published)

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Unless you've paid your mortgage off, it's usually a requirement of your mortgage contract to have the home insured for at least the balance of your note.

Have you talked to the bank/servicer of your loan about the insurance problem?

(I'm hoping you get the chance to tell your story to the press--and have it published)

Shelly,

There is a mortgage on the house, and the payments are current. That along is quite a strain because I have a first and a second, (which I took out to attempt to repair the house). And you are correct, they require insurance to continue to carry the mortgage.

The house in it's current condition is worthless and I owe more than the lot is worth.

Yes, I have spoken with the bank. They have followed this entire saga from day one. I could not have ask for a better banker. I don't know what they will do, but the liability on an uninsured house is more than I can handle.

They have strongly urged some type of settlement on this, but they, too, are being ignored.

Shelly, I, too, hope I get a chance to get this story published. It should be published and the builder should have to answer to someone, including the press.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
yippie, one other venue for you might be your State Representatives. Make a couple of phone calls and let those guys work on your behalf.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Also, if anyone knows someone with the press, please refer them to this thread. They can e-mail me and I will answer.

Anyone in any city. People purchase property from out of town so often and I would hate for this to happen to someone's investment or vacation home.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
yippie, one other venue for you might be your State Representatives. Make a couple of phone calls and let those guys work on your behalf.

I've done that. From what I am told, once it is in the courts system, they cannot do anything.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
This is the type that we used in GA. He actually did test and found things within normal range and wasn't trying to rip anyone off. Obviously, Yippie already ripped the sheetrock out and it didn't help anyways.

Skunky, you are right in that our environments now actually make us more susceptable because we are not used to the contaminents that were normally occurring prior to our more "sterile & fragile" living environments.

Again, there was a great deal of litigation info flooding UGA Law School in earlier in the decade when I was there. These weren't get rich quick schemes but legal precedents being set. At least the law libraries are a place to start looking.

A few points, certified mold inspectors do exist in Florida.

Mold can cause major problems for some people's health, others seem unaffected. My sisters house, which has a finished basement looks nice and clean, but the mold which is hidden, limits her kids from hanging out in the basement, and my mom gets sick when she stays in the bedroom down there.

Some builders spray down the wood with chemicals like Jomax, just before installing the windows and doors, to help kill any mold growing on the wood. It doesn't contain a die to show that it has been applied.

As stated, mold is everywhere, and that is why the accurate tests require a base be established from the mold in the air outside the home. You will likely find mold in the cabinet under the sink, in the corners of your shower, and in the HVAC vent. When the level gets high enough above the basis, it becomes a concern, but can be remediated, potentially with much labor and costs, if you have to start ripping out sheetrock.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
This is the type that we used in GA. He actually did test and found things within normal range and wasn't trying to rip anyone off. Obviously, Yippie already ripped the sheetrock out and it didn't help anyways.

Skunky, you are right in that our environments now actually make us more susceptable because we are not used to the contaminents that were normally occurring prior to our more "sterile & fragile" living environments.

Again, there was a great deal of litigation info flooding UGA Law School in earlier in the decade when I was there. These weren't get rich quick schemes but legal precedents being set. At least the law libraries are a place to start looking.

The mold was so bad that even stackybotres (toxic black mold) was found in air samples. This is very rare since stacky is a wet mold.

There is mold common everywhere, aspergillis and pennecilian, (can''t spell), but not a the levels found in my home.

We ripped out 15 walls, replaced the HVAC system including duct work, sub flooring, you name it, we did it.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I really find it interesting that suddenly mold is on par with smoking, asbestos, and red meat. :roll:

Seriously this stuff has been around for how many millions of years and WHAM in the last 4 years it is the scourge of human civilization?

Mold existed prior to humans, and while I understand allergies, as I do have a few myself. I have yet to hear of a single allergy that ever caused diabetes. Unless you option in sugar, obesity, or pure laziness.

This whole thread strikes me as nothing more than a cry for attention; i.e. someone hurt me, I made a lousy investment, or hmm none of the above apply I just want people to feel sorry for me.

Finally if any indication of suicide is further hinted at, I will contact the authorities immediately. The fact that someone would end their own lives over the purchase of property, and a subsequent problem or devaluation would cause them to consider ending their own lives, whether their home or a second residences denotes a serious mental illness that requires immeditate mental health intervention.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I really find it interesting that suddenly mold is on par with smoking, asbestos, and red meat. :roll:

Seriously this stuff has been around for how many millions of years and WHAM in the last 4 years it is the scourge of human civilization?

Mold existed prior to humans, and while I understand allergies, as I do have a few myself. I have yet to hear of a single allergy that ever caused diabetes. Unless you option in sugar, obesity, or pure laziness.

This whole thread strikes me as nothing more than a cry for attention; i.e. someone hurt me, I made a lousy investment, or hmm none of the above apply I just want people to feel sorry for me.

Finally if any indication of suicide is further hinted at, I will contact the authorities immediately. The fact that someone would end their own lives over the purchase of property, and a subsequent problem or devaluation would cause them to consider ending their own lives, whether their home or a second residences denotes a serious mental illness that requires immeditate mental health intervention.

I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of Yippie's situation (and I tend to pride myself on my ability to quickly call BS(!) on sob stories :cool:).

I've personally accepted the fact that Yippie has been screwed over by the homebuilder--I have personal knowledge and read many accounts of this situation happening during the frenzy.

I also feel that he's telling the truth when he said that he's spent large sums of money trying to repair the house.

I can empathize with his pain and frustration as he tries to sort out this mess that is causing him financial, mental and physical pain.

If Yippie is just blowing smoke out his arse and getting a kick out of fooling people who believe in his plight to elicit sympathy and attention, then I've gotta congratulate him on fooling me (Florida's #1 Skeptic)--but all I'm offering up is a few moments of my time and a couple of words of support and comfort, so it's really no big deal. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.